• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So who fixes their tree stands and what do you do for them in prep and paint?

I made a bunch of feeder hangers and primed and painted and the first year laying water on them had rust spots. I gave into 1/8" steel or angle and just not even painting them for my camera stakes. Since they rust anyways, justmake them think and it will take 20 years to rust away.

I got a bunch of stick ladders to touch up and repaint. one hang on needing cleaning and paint and one underseat bar cupped water and rotted and got to replace it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have to admit, I don't do squat. I only have three ladder stands. They're old as dirt. This past year I had to remove them. Lost that property. Surprisingly, they were still very serviceable. Hell, if I can get 15 years out of a $150 ladder stand, I figure I'm ahead of the game. Only thing I'd worry about is lockons. Replace the support cables after a couple years with chain(inside bicycle innertubes) and replace those bolts every 3 to 5 years, dependingon what type you use.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Have to admit, I don't do squat. I only have three ladder stands. They're old as dirt. This past year I had to remove them. Lost that property. Surprisingly, they were still very serviceable. Hell, if I can get 15 years out of a $150 ladder stand, I figure I'm ahead of the game. Only thing I'd worry about is lockons. Replace the support cables after a couple years with chain(inside bicycle innertubes) and replace those bolts every 3 to 5 years, dependingon what type you use.

I'm the same. Had two ladder stands that I've used for almost 15 years myself. Just have replaced the ratchet straps maybe once on each one. Lost my last hunting property over a year ago due to a tussle between the landowner and another farmer so I pretty much just abandoned everything.

I'll find another spot soon. Just haven't been really looking.

probably preaching to the choir here... but ALWAYS wear a harness.

I have a Rescue 1 that works very well

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm the same. Had two ladder stands that I've used for almost 15 years myself. Just have replaced the ratchet straps maybe once on each one. Lost my last hunting property over a year ago due to a tussle between the landowner and another farmer so I pretty much just abandoned everything.

I'll find another spot soon. Just haven't been really looking.

probably preaching to the choir here... but ALWAYS wear a harness.

I have a Rescue 1 that works very well

I feel your pain. I went from 4 properties to one this year. Whaaaa!

I've fallen out of more than one treestand, so yes, always wear protection (right over the plate, hanging fast ball K319 ;)!

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I feel your pain. I went from 4 properties to one this year. Whaaaa!

I've fallen out of more than one treestand, so yes, always wear protection (right over the plate, hanging fast ball K319 ;)!

I've (thankfully) have never fallen out of a treestand but one time...

I had bought an off the wall type tree climbing/harness system. In theory, it worked very well. It was a two piece system (torso seat and foot platform) that was roped together as you inch wormed your way up a tree.

Except the rope failed me at the foot portion one day and I watched as it skittered down the tree trunk. I was left about 20-25 feet or so up the tree without "a paddle"

I ended up hugging the tree and cut myself from the harness and ripped the skin inside of my arms (through my sleeves) apart while sliding down that tree. I hit that ground hard but there was no other way down.

Much younger when I did that but I am much wiser now.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've (thankfully) have never fallen out of a treestand but one time...

I had bought an off the wall type tree climbing/harness system. In theory, it worked very well. It was a two piece system (torso seat and foot platform) that was roped together as you inch wormed your way up a tree.

Except the rope failed me at the foot portion one day and I watched as it skittered down the tree trunk. I was left about 20-25 feet or so up the tree without "a paddle"

I ended up hugging the tree and cut myself from the harness and ripped the skin inside of my arms (through my sleeves) apart while sliding down that tree. I hit that ground hard but there was no other way down.

Much younger when I did that but I am much wiser now.

Lol! Been there, done that! I managed to get back up the tree before the sun came up. Hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom