• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Just before oct of 2013 I bought a stripped adcore lower reciever. I did the 7 day wait period and showed proof I watched the training video they used to make you watch to buy a regulated firearm.

Since then I have assembled it into a rifle configuration. I recently scavenged the rail and a few other things off of it for my 6.8 project so it’s basically a assembled lower sitting in my safe.

Would it be legal for me to reconfigure the reciever into a pistol? Or would it be better off me buying a new stripped reciever? Sorry if this question has been asked but I couldn’t find any info on a pre ban(2013) reciever. Thanks

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    I think once lower was built into a rifle it can't be turned into a pistol. If you had first built it into a pistol then you could have turned it into rifle and back to pistol legally. That's fed law I believe

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think once lower was built into a rifle it can't be turned into a pistol. If you had first built it into a pistol then you could have turned it into rifle and back to pistol legally. That's fed law I believe

Correct.

OP would in essence be making an SBR without a stamp.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The real question is why waste a pre-2013 lower on a pistol build?

We see this question a lot.
    First, it's not a waste. A waste is having a gun or lower that you have no use for and you want to build something you want to shoot. NOW it won't be a waste. Incidentally, a pistol, as well as an SBR, can be reconfigured any way it suits the owner. No waste at all.

My 2 cents

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for clarifying that for me. I wasn’t even thinking on a federal level.
    I consider myself pretty up to date on most of the laws pertaining to AR 15s but I wasn’t quite sure about how a pre 2013 reciever was registered because I can’t remember what form I filled out for it. Sorry for the dumb question I just had a brain block. I didn’t even think about what it was assembled into first.

Reason I’m bringing this up is because I’m having another impulsive streak where I got a itch to put a 300blk together. Something fun for when I get my can. I originally wanted it to be a pistol configuration but I have just decided to build a 16” upper to swap out on one of my lowers. I just don’t have the funds right now to put a whole other gun together.

Thanks again.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Unless you're on a tight budget, keep the existing pre-2013 lower as a rifle (non-HBAR okay since its pre-2013) and buy a 2nd lower (as OTHER) for a pistol build.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Yep, buy a new stripped lower, filed as an "other" on the state / fed PPW since the stripped lower can become either. Once it's out of 7 day jail, pick it up and build a pistola. No HQL or other nonsense. Just follow the law.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    How can you prove you assembled it into a rifle, if you were forced to do so? All we have is your word that you did it. Without proof, that’s meaningless.

Did you photograph it and publish it to the web? Did you notify the MSP that you assembled it into a rifle? Do you have any witnesses that can be compelled to testify to lend credibility to your claim?

Sounds like you don’t have any proof whatsoever to back up your claim that you built it into a rifle.

I don’t believe you.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    How can you prove you assembled it into a rifle, if you were forced to do so? All we have is your word that you did it. Without proof, that’s meaningless.

Did you photograph it and publish it to the web? Did you notify the MSP that you assembled it into a rifle? Do you have any witnesses that can be compelled to testify to lend credibility to your claim?

Sounds like you don’t have any proof whatsoever to back up your claim that you built it into a rifle.

I don’t believe you.

Do what now? Did you read the OP? And why would he notify MSP?

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore

I don’t believe you.

:lol::lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I don’t believe you.

Because he knows if he did or did not.

And if he did, that would be illegal. And suggesting illegal acts is against forum rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom