• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My niece turn's 15 next month and she wants a dedicated 20 gauge slug gun.. She's been using a Mossberg Bantam for several years but she's outgrown it and wants something with an optic. My Savage 220 is too long. I've looked at the single shots but she would prefer something that holds a few rounds. need length of pull 13-14" and not too heavy. Camo is a bonus

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'm a normal size (5' 10") but I prefer a shorter stock for myself too. They seem to handle easier, especially with thick clothes.

Twanger

DINO and NRA Life
    Mar 4, 2013
    Poolesville
    I just bought a second hand H&R Handi Rifle in 20ga, and it has a pretty short stock on it.
    They are no longer made, but you might look around for one.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    DutchV, thanks for the tip. I didn't know about the compact either. I love my 220, but at 5'8", the stock is a bit long for me. I just inquired with Savage about possibly getting a replacement stock to swap out.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    the Savage 220 shooting 3" shells still kicks like a mule. 2 3/4" are a little softer, but 3" seems to shoot flatter at range. If she wants something with less recoil, pick up an H&R slugger in 20. Yes it's a single shot, but it's a tack driver and recoil isn't felt as much imo.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Consider the gun that you (or her in this case) that you like; controls, barrels, etc. and then cut the stock to fit with a new pad. Costs a bit more but it’s a right fit and if she grows just replace the stock.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    the Savage 220 shooting 3" shells still kicks like a mule. 2 3/4" are a little softer, but 3" seems to shoot flatter at range. If she wants something with less recoil, pick up an H&R slugger in 20. Yes it's a single shot, but it's a tack driver and recoil isn't felt as much imo.

You could always get a Limbsaver recoil pad for the 220. They are extremely effective.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You could always get a Limbsaver recoil pad for the 220. They are extremely effective.

I have a 220 and they have the softest recoil pads I've ever felt on a rifle. With 3/4" shells(never needed 3" mags), I can shoot that gun off my chin.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have a 220 and they have the softest recoil pads I've ever felt on a rifle. With 3/4" shells(never needed 3" mags), I can shoot that gun off my chin.

I don't have a 220 (though have thought about acquiring one), but know a few who do....their opinions are same as yours, fairly easy to shoot. That is why I was surprised by the assertion it kicks so hard. To be fair, all those I know who have them are men and shoot a fair amount, so they may not be recoil adverse.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My 220 came with the hard pad. I called Savage to buy the soft one and they sent it to me under warranty no charge.

That's very interesting. How old is yours? I got mine the second year of production(I'm pretty sure).

This is what the 220 is capable of, day in, day out.
    Four shot group @ 100yds.

I've posted this before(sorry about the huge pic)

Attachments

• 4shot.jpg
      4shot.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 73

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    The earlier 220s came with a soft squishy pad that had a tendency to break off chunks (mine did). Savage told me so and replaced it. It must've have been enough of a problem that later 220s came with a much harder pad. A friend has a newer one, and when shoot them side by side the difference in felt recoil is very noticeable.

I talked to Savage about the newer compacts and they assured me that all the stocks interchange. Problem is a replacement compact stock sells for over $100, so I'm still debating which way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom