• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Is there really much benefit to having a 22” barrel rather than an 18” barrel?

I was looking at the Ruger American rifles in .308 and they come with either 18” barrels or 22” barrels. My preference is the 18” barrel since I’ll have a suppressor on the end of the gun and it will keep the OAL down.

I dont foresee ever shooting past 500 (at least not often) so is there really much benefit to the extra 4” of barrel length? Also, at what point does the extra barrel length come into play and is beneficial?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Go with the 18" for supressor use. I assume your looking at the ruger american predator vs standard. The predator also has a heavier weight barell that wont heat up as fast. I run a 20" tube and push the 178gr rounds at just over 2500fps. Works fine out to 1000yds If I read the wind properly. I can get 2700fps out of the 168gr pills but havent pushed them out to long range to see how they behave. I have seen guys ring steel at 1000yds with a 16" 308 loaded properly.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Go with the 18" for supressor use. I assume your looking at the ruger american predator vs standard. The predator also has a heavier weight barell that wont heat up as fast. I run a 20" tube and push the 178gr rounds at just over 2500fps. Works fine out to 1000yds If I read the wind properly. I can get 2700fps out of the 168gr pills but havent pushed them out to long range to see how they behave. I have seen guys ring steel at 1000yds with a 16" 308 loaded properly.

Yes, Ruger American Predator. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I believe you will pick up a few FPS with the suppressor as well. Will be very little difference between a 22 inch barrel and a 18 inch barrel with a suppressor.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most 308 will loose about 100fps going from a 22 to an 18, suppressors raise it around 25fps, temp can raise it similarly 1 or 2 FPS per degree. They can be unweidly with a long suppressor, and losing a little weight at the end of the barrel can help balance, while a shorter barrel is inherently more rigid. Probably won't notice much of a difference at 500 yards, and it's still capable of going out further, but much easier to live with the closer you plan on shooting. IMO if you are going for ranges where 100FPS makes a difference, then probably better off with 6.5 creedmoore anyway.

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Make sure you factor in the price of replacing the garbage flimsy stock.

I have the 18" and it works well for deer hunting out to 250 yards. For long range shooting with a suppressor, I would imagine you'll want to upgrade anyway.

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    I've actually been looking into the same exact thing recently. From what I've gathered it comes down to practical use. If you only plan to shoot from a bench at ranges 600ish yards, the 22 is it. If you plan to hunt with it, walk the woods with it, possibly have to throw it up and take a fast shot, or possibly shoot with your off hand, the 18 is more practical. I was really trying to justify needing a 22" one but the more I realized I don't really need that extra weight, I think I'll go 18.

You could always split the difference with a 20"

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have a suppressed savage with an 18" barrel for 500 yards and in, and I really like it.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Thanks for the info! I wont loose sleep over lossing 100fps.

I already reached out to Hog Sniper for pricing for the 18” .308 that takes AI detachable mags :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the OP , go with the 18in, primarily due to OAL with suppressor .

In general ; don't obsess over the weight , in the sense of total weight . Pick whichever has the best offhand balance to you .

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thanks for the info! I wont loose sleep over lossing 100fps.

I already reached out to Hog Sniper for pricing for the 18” .308 that takes AI detachable mags :)

I will say this; I have a couple of Ruger Americans and I actually like the flush fit mags better. One exception being the 7.26x39, the Ruger Mini 30 mags are really nice and fit with zero play. The AR mags not so much.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    With a suppressor, 18”. If off a bench, doesn’t really matter, might as well get the extra velocity and go 22”.

No suppressor as a bolt gun, go 22”. That’s about the same OAL as an 18” semi auto with a muzzle device. A longer barrel also reduces muzzle blast and noise which is somewhat important when hunting, especially if you do not use ear protection when hunting.

Also reduced flash as the propellant burns more completely.

Just my 2 cents on it.

My 23” Sako .308 is about an inch shorter than my 20” AR in .223 with a 2.75” long linear comp on the end of the AR. I’d imagine an 18” SR-25/AR-10 build with similar muzzle device would be maybe an inch shorter overall...basically the same length as the 23” barreled Sako.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    A longer barrel also reduces muzzle blast and noise which is somewhat important when hunting, especially if you do not use ear protection when hunting.

Also reduced flash as the propellant burns more completely.

Second this. I am not a suppressor expert...yet, but 308 was the first thing i tried to setup for hunting suppressed. There is a very large sound difference between a 20" mossberg MVP and a 14" TC pistol with the same suppressor. Then an even further difference for a 16" 300blk ruger american with faster burning powder powder. I have not even screwed a suppressor onto a 308 since I got my 300blk ruger american, it sounds like a 22 short.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Also another data point, 16" ruger american + 8" silencer hybrid = 24" barrel is definitely getting into awkward balance and mobility. I am not a big man and I was getting hung up on sticks walking to the stand at 5am. An extra 6 inches would suck. I love cheap plastic stocks that cant get damaged while hunting, but this thing needs 2-3lbs of weight added in the butt end to balance the suppressor. It is too top heavy in a sling to carry without a hand on it, and hard to balance on a stand shooting rail. Thanks for reminding me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom