• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    Is it legal in Carroll county? (non municipal areas)
    I am asking about the law governing target shooting with a pellet rifle in my backyard. Is that treated differently than a firearm in Carroll Co?
    All pellets would be contained on my property as i use a pellet trap

This site seems to say that Maryland does not have any Air Gun Laws (other that some local jurisdictions)
    https://pelletgunzone.com/air-gun-laws/

thanks
    dan

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I moved away over a year ago but the only ordinance I can recall was being 100yds away from a dwelling. That was for firearms dont think there were any restrictions on air rifles.

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I thought that MD considered an air rifle as a rifle. Anything the shoots a projectile is a gun. I could be wrong. I remember a problem in the city with kids and pellet guns so they changed the rules of what is a gun.
    Vic

Kyler

Apr 4, 2016
    Keedysville
    I thought that MD considered an air rifle as a rifle. Anything the shoots a projectile is a gun. I could be wrong. I remember a problem in the city with kids and pellet guns so they changed the rules of what is a gun.
    Vic

5-101(h)(1) “Firearm” means:
    (i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;

Airguns have no explosion.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I have fired my .22 on a regular basis in my back yard with no complaints. I also have a neighbor about a half mile down the street who fires higher calibers in his back yard and occasionally I see a Carroll County Sheriff out there shooting with him. But for anything definitive I can't help you. I am in the western Carroll/Union Bridge area.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Vic

Certain jurisdictions such as Montgomery County where Nerf Guns are GUNS!

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Dan,

The only regulation in the Carroll County Code of Ordinances regarding air rifles pertains to their use in Public Parks.

§ 94.053 HUNTING AND FIREARMS.
    No person in a park shall hunt, trap, or pursue wildlife at any time. No person shall use, carry, or possess firearms of any description, air-rifles , spring-guns, bows and arrows, slings, or any other form of weapons potentially dangerous to wildlife or to humans, or any instrument that can be loaded with and fire blank cartridges, or any kind of trapping device, except as designated by the Manager. No person shall shoot into park areas from beyond park boundaries. This section does not apply to the Cooperative Hunting Program conducted by the State of Maryland and the Hap Baker Firearms Facility.
    (Ord. 2016-01, passed 5-5-2016) Penalty, see § 94.999

You can use the below link to search for regulations.

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/carrollcounty_md/carrollcountymarylandcodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:carrollcounty_md

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    Dan,

The only regulation in the Carroll County Code of Ordinances regarding air rifles pertains to their use in Public Parks.

§ 94.053 HUNTING AND FIREARMS.
    No person in a park shall hunt, trap, or pursue wildlife at any time. No person shall use, carry, or possess firearms of any description, air-rifles , spring-guns, bows and arrows, slings, or any other form of weapons potentially dangerous to wildlife or to humans, or any instrument that can be loaded with and fire blank cartridges, or any kind of trapping device, except as designated by the Manager. No person shall shoot into park areas from beyond park boundaries. This section does not apply to the Cooperative Hunting Program conducted by the State of Maryland and the Hap Baker Firearms Facility.
    (Ord. 2016-01, passed 5-5-2016) Penalty, see § 94.999

You can use the below link to search for regulations.

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/carrollcounty_md/carrollcountymarylandcodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:carrollcounty_md

thanks,
    dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom