MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not so sneaky now Rw. Congrats!

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Got my first crossbow last week! Got my first deer today! Never hunted before. Went out last night, and the wind spooked'em. The gang came in at 4ish with this guy following. None of the girls would present broadside. He stood there for 5 minutes. 45' away hit him with Swhaker 125gr. the bolt was in the ground 20' behind were he stood. He fell in a heap 40 yrds from me. I am happy happy!
    View attachment 219435

View attachment 219436

Very cool! That was my story 9 yrs ago but my first was a 2fer with my 10 ML II. You never forget the way it went.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    OK, so this 4 pt I shot was weird in more ways than one. It had no upper incisors and only 6 small lower incisors. In addition it had no, as in 0 molars. Instead it these tiny bristle like "teeth" that seem to be part of the inner cheek/lips. I'm afraid my picture is upsidedown and the kindle won't let me rotate it. Uh-oh flashback. Sit on it and rotate Potsie

Attachments

• IMG_20171130_155000.jpg
      IMG_20171130_155000.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 209

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    OK, so this 4 pt I shot was weird in more ways than one. It had no upper incisors and only 6 small lower incisors. In addition it had no, as in 0 molars. Instead it these tiny bristle like "teeth" that seem to be part of the inner cheek/lips. I'm afraid my picture is upsidedown and the kindle won't let me rotate it. Uh-oh flashback. Sit on it and rotate Potsie

A call to DNR would be good. They want to know about things like this.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Deer don't have upper front teeth(this is a wall mount). They do have molars though.

Attachments

• teef.jpg
      teef.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 201

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Anybody ever hear of "Bullwinkle Syndrome" ? Very rare bacterial disease that makes the deer's face swell up and look like a halfbreed moose/whitetail. DNR knows of only 1 other case in Southern MD.
    https://www.qdma.com/mysterious-bullwinkle-deer/

They don't recommend eating it but the DNR biologist from Bel Air I spoke with called me back and said if the meat looked good it was up to me. I don't think I'm taking NY chances.
    just looks rut swollen to me...and old looking...

Thats just the inside of its mouth you have to go further back to see the teeth, you can see the one tooth by the green leaf in the pic...Like outrider said no upper teeth, its not a horse...;) Six is normal for lower IIRC..

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    View attachment 219374 Good Sika Buck. Were lucky to have another type of deer in our state with different habits for when or the other dries up. I think with the ehd problem these guys are going to spread out even further and become prevalent well outside of where they have been traditionally established.
    Lots of people hunting them will make that happen at a higher rate would be my guess.

One o these days...:rolleyes:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I love the squirrels. They tell me when other critters are active.

"The Jungle is Nuetral"

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I love the squirrels. They tell me when other critters are active.

"The Jungle is Nuetral"

Yep thats true. Once you watch and listen to the squirrels enough you understand how they act and respond to different animals in the woods.

On another note, last year i was watching a red fox walk through the woods and all of the sudden it stopped, turned around and scurried off. I knew something was coming through and sure enough it was a nice buck that scared off the fox and was 30 yards from my stand :thumbsup:

Let the animals work for you.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    They don't bother me anymore. Honestly, it doesn't seem to have an affect on deer activity where i hunt.

Now when they climb the tree i'm in, and are 2 feet away from me, now that freaks me out :lol2:

>he doesn't befriend the local squirrels to carry his bow in and out of the stand
    >he doesn't have squirrel buddies bring him tasty acorns to pass the time until a buck shows up

Bro, do you even outdoors?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    >he doesn't befriend the local squirrels to carry his bow in and out of the stand
    >he doesn't have squirrel buddies bring him tasty acorns to pass the time until a buck shows up

Bro, do you even outdoors?

Me times 1,000,000+

How many squirrels = a deer? I counted twenty today:mad54:

I hate squirrels

Yep thats true. Once you watch and listen to the squirrels enough you understand how they act and respond to different animals in the woods.

On another note, last year i was watching a red fox walk through the woods and all of the sudden it stopped, turned around and scurried off. I knew something was coming through and sure enough it was a nice buck that scared off the fox and was 30 yards from my stand :thumbsup:

Let the animals work for you.

:thumbsup:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Squirrels aren’t usually an issue, but chipmunks!!! Damn I hate those things. Noisy little buggers that run around under the leaves making all kinds of racket. One chipmunk sounds like a herd of deer, I scan the area thoroughly wondering why I’m so blind I can’t see the herd of 20 deer that are making all that noise all around me, only to see a 2 oz nut burgler pop up out of the leafy forest floor. Hate those critters.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Finally got around to butchering last weekend's haul. I need another freezer and goose season hasn't even really started yet........

Attachments

• 20171129_204741.jpg
      20171129_204741.jpg
      73.7 KB · Views: 196

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom