• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    So I just received a Spikes Punisher lower receiver and plan on getting it nickel boron coated and then color fill the logo. Only thing is the engraving seems much more shallow than any other engraving that I have color filled in the past(LIKE THE SPIDER LOGO). I'm worried that the layer of nickel boron will fill in the logo making it impossible to color fill.

Has anyone nickel boron coated a receiver? If so, did you notice if any of the engravings were less visible?

Is there a safe way to deepen the punisher logo engraving without butchering it? any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

If I had to guess I'd say the engraving Is about 1mm deep, maybe less

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I think you're overthinking how thick the NiB coating is going to be. You're looking at something around 100 microns thick. It's not like glopping a thick coat of paint on.

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    I might not even get the lower coated. From what I understand it's the upper that reaps the benefit. Just really like black color fill on a metalicy finish

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I fondled that actual rifle yesterday, pretty freakin cool. The BCG is wild too. Very interesting rifle, neat concept, if like to shoot one and see how it is.

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    Nice, I'm torn between nickel Teflon and nickel boron. I want wha tever is less shiney but it's hard to tell from just pictures. I think I'm just going to go with nickel boron and then bead blast with Aluminum oxide to dull it out a bit.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Nice, I'm torn between nickel Teflon and nickel boron. I want wha tever is less shiney but it's hard to tell from just pictures. I think I'm just going to go with nickel boron and then bead blast with Aluminum oxide to dull it out a bit.

My nickel boron bcg and fcg both shine alot. Youd probably be fine with the teflon if thats what the anniversary rifle is

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    Any body have experience with bead blasting? Can I bead blast nickel boron with aluminum oxide without removing the coating? How hard would that be?

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Im no certified expert, but NO lol. The NiB is partly so effective because of the smoothness and lack of pores in the metal surface. If you bead blast if your ASKING to have carbon, etc stick... If your going to coatit, don't UNCOAT it lol. I have the NiB coating on my BCG and trigger assembly, I can't see a reason elsewhere..

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    Well the inside of the upper receier can defenetly benifit from nickel boron and I wouldn't want to dull that out. You can't coat the inside without coating the outside, so I'm just trying to make the outside as non reflective as possible.

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    I also think a nickel boron upper with a black anodized lower looks funny, just don't like it. So I'm just going to get both done.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Hmm, hand thought of taking the outside off... hmmm, thats a VERY interesting idea... I'm more a dark grey or black guy for my receivers but, if you do that with the Nib coat then remove the outside, lemme know, I'd be VERY interested to see that

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    By no means am I trying to Remove the NIB coating, just dull out the surface. Just like people bead blast SS barrels to make them less shiny. From what I've Hurd certain types of media (like glass beads) will cause more of a polished look and the opposite for (aluminum oxide media). This is all hear say, I have no experience with blasting. Not sure how controllable the process is. The last thing I want to do it remove too much

Jbenfer

Apr 14, 2011
    NiB iz like taking a gold ring and having it dipped to make it whit gold you take it dip in the NiB coating almost the consistancy of water and there you go its coated but keep in mind the NiB coating on a lower has no positive or negative effect on the lower other than cosmetic the bcg is amazing diffrence tho spikes has a good one that ill swear by on my high proformance ar rifles

Jbenfer

Apr 14, 2011
    You can have th NiB coated upper or lower duracoated rather than bead blasting and hoping you dont ruin the look

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom