• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    So I have decided to get a new gun when I get back to the states. The question is, what should I get.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to either

A luger in the 1,500 price range, or a Colt SP1, which I figure will be around $1200-1500. This would be my first AR.

Thoughts on the matter? Or is there some other direction I should head in?

I am not sure where I should be posting this, but I figured this was a good place

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    You are on both ends of the spectrum with those choices. The Luger is a better collector piece. The AR is a better range toy. What do you want the gun to do?

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I would go with the luger. good history and a cool piece to have. not to be a hater but the sp1 is an AR. ARs are so common today. You can always get another AR and wont be upset about it not being an sp1. I do have both so I guess that is always a good option. just my .02.
    Platekiller

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    Is a Luger in the 1,500 range even worth it? I have read/heard so many different things and their actual value seems hard to actually pin down, since I seem them going from $999 to in the tens of thousands

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Personally I would get the AR. It is much more customizable platform to whatever shooting you want to do. You can buy optics, red dot, scopes, trigger upgrades, etc. The Luger is a Luger and will stay that way.

Shooting a Luger will not hurt the value as long as you keep it clean and do not put a zillion rounds through it. The Germans have already broken it in for you. Shooting relics is fun for the sake you are shooting a relic. They are also fun to own a piece of history. It is like owning a collector car.

The AR is more practical in all ways. I have P-38s. They are cool to own, but mostly they sit in the safe on range days.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Luger ANY DAY, they're drying up and for 1500 you could conceivably get a nazi marked w/matching numbers.

Should you get it.............SHOOT the damn thing, that is what they were made for. Also make sure it's 9mm and AR = ho hum, for the wannabe's.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Blueheeler you are right about not shooting them much. I dont really shoot my luger or p38 too much but my AR goes with me on most range trips.

That said, I would just go get an AR for range use, doesnt have to be an sp1. And if you customize it then you change the cool "retro" factor. Why an SP1?

The luger is a good gun to get for a colletion, not if you intend it to go with you to the range all the time. but it fits the bill if you are looking for something cool to add to the collection that will go to the range once in a while. I traded for my luger, but I think it was listed in that general range (I want to say 1300). It is a nazi marked and matches the k98, pp, and p38 well (all marked).

Platekiller

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    If you can find/come across an all matching Nazi marked Luger for the price you want GET it. You can always buy an AR. They aren't going anywhere. Like what was stated before. The all matching luger is a collectors piece. You can find Lugers people have shot and replaced parts in if you want a shooter and don't care about matching parts. But like I said, all matching numbers is a better investment than the stock market not to mention a piece of history. If you buy a shooter, you will quickly learn why anyone who has shot one loves it. Takes a little getting used to that rear sight but what a sweet pistol. But that's just me

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    As others have stated, they aren't making Lugers anymore. Supply and demand. IMO, you can find shooter grades for less than $1500, even some all matching. WW1 examples are just as good as WW2 and usally sell for less. Shooting one won't hurt it as long as you use normal ammo and put new springs in it.

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    Well thanks for the advice, I will prob go with the Luger, and start assembling an AR on a later date. As for why get an SP 1, some guy talked them up so much, said he loved his and that it was totally worth the investment. Besides gunbroker, is there any other good places for Luger Hunting?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Go with the Luger, they have seen alot of rounds and an additional couple thousand wont hurt them.

That said I wouldnt go for a 35000rd every weekend gun. Plus they are a pain to load, but they are not making any more.

I would avoid the SP1 and build a non-colt AR and you might be able to afford both.

My father just picked up a nice waffen stamped 43 luger with all matching parts but the side plate for $600...........sweet and shoots like a dream. Guy he got it off has about 5 more but he hasnt been able to pry them out of him yet.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I agree that the Luger is a good choice. That being said, Lugers DEMAND that you do some due diligence and start studying up on the subject before pulling the trigger. There are so many different variants and the rarer the item the potential for fraud increases. I've stayed away from Lugers for just that reason. Have an old bitster that's a great shooter but would definitely spend for some good reference books to get educated before buying another. I'd also sign up for Jan Still's forum over on GB. The best on-line resource available for Lugers and many other collectible military pistols.
    BTW, while very finicky about ammo, a Luger is a dream to shoot. Possibly the best natural pointing pistol I've ever shot. Took me forever to work up a load with the correct charge and cartridge OAL but worth all the effort. From what I've heard the long barreled artillery versions with a shoulder stock can be scary accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom