• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    My girlfriends mom recently came across her deceased husbands two shotguns. She found two; a Winchester pump action 12 Gaige and a Remington 1100 autoloader with a recoil suppressor on the barrel. Even though he has been deceased 13 years they are both in impeccable condition and so far the action is clean and works smooth. Knowing nothing about guns and wanting for hd only I told her the pump action would be the safest and easiest to operate. I will be taking her to a range to receive instructional classes. Anyway I want to buy the Remington 1100 from her but I'm not sure how much to offer. It's in wonderful condition. I will post pics later. Let me know of a price range, thanks.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My personal instinct was "around $400, maybe $450", but I don't think you can really give a good estimate without knowing the model.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Please provide details on that barrel as well...If this is factory ported that's one thing but if someone has cut the barrel and put a compensator on it the value just went down the cost of a new barrel.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The pump may be a old model 12 or even a 97 if you're lucky. Or it could be a modern Ranger or low end gun like that.....either way they are what they are. Google them, try Gunbroker or a host of other internet resources. Go to a store and peek at the Bluebook of values. ;)

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    you might be able to get both of them for $500. thats not too shabby!

I have to leave her with one for hd

The pump may be a old model 12 or even a 97 if you're lucky. Or it could be a modern Ranger or low end gun like that.....either way they are what they are. Google them, try Gunbroker or a host of other internet resources. Go to a store and peek at the Bluebook of values. ;)

it's possible it's a 97 but I know it's not older than that as he died in 1998 and used it to hunt well before then and stopped hunting around 1997 because of illness

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have to leave her with one for hd

it's possible it's a 97 but I know it's not older than that as he died in 1998 and used it to hunt well before then and stopped hunting around 1997 because of illness
    Model "97" for the Winchester means 1897 - not 1997, and it denotes the year the model was introduced, not the year it was made. The thing that sets the 1897 apart from other pump shotguns is the external hammer.

The only pump shotguns from Winchester I have any real familiarity with are the Model 1897 and the Model 12 - both are excellent guns and if they are in good shape value is partly determined by the year of manufacture.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    The Winchester 1200 is a fairly decent shotgun. I have one, and it patterned the best with 00 buck at 25 feet up against a Mossberg 500, Remington 870 and Ithaca 37.

The 1200 may not be as popular as the Mossy 500 or the 870, but it can certainly hold its own.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I wonder why you think the pump "would be the safest and easiest to operate". Maybe it's because the pump is shorter, but on both you have to shove rounds up inside of them and the 1100 is semi-auto. I think both hold five. The pump is going to kick, where the 1100 has some of the gas run the gun, so recoil is less. Just my $.02.

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    Model "97" for the Winchester means 1897 - not 1997, and it denotes the year the model was introduced, not the year it was made. The thing that sets the 1897 apart from other pump shotguns is the external hammer.

The only pump shotguns from Winchester I have any real familiarity with are the Model 1897 and the Model 12 - both are excellent guns and if they are in good shape value is partly determined by the year of manufacture.

oh ok, no it does not have an external hammer, ill take pics of both

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    I wonder why you think the pump "would be the safest and easiest to operate". Maybe it's because the pump is shorter, but on both you have to shove rounds up inside of them and the 1100 is semi-auto. I think both hold five. The pump is going to kick, where the 1100 has some of the gas run the gun, so recoil is less. Just my $.02.

I mean as far as safety, you have to pump to be able to fire again but with the autoloader its ready to go right away, so i figure having that extra step could lead to fewer accidents in a high stress situation. Plus the pump is lighter and yes because barrell is shorter the spray is wider so she doesnt need to be as accurate as the autoloader.

pitjeep

R.I.P.
    Jun 6, 2008
    pittsville
    if the 1100 has a cutts compensator it cuts the value. how ever i would be willing to purchase the cutts barrel.or trade another barrel for it.post pictures & we can tell you what you have.

pitjeep

R.I.P.
    Jun 6, 2008
    pittsville
    ill get pics tonight, does the suppressor actually work or is it negligible?

gun will be louder than a stock barrel but does help with recoil. you wont notice it on a auto. it was used mostly for trap & skeet in the early days as it was the first changable choke systems. google cutts compensator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom