• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    given that i'm using factory ammo, does bullet weight matter much for idpa (9mm glock 34) and uspsa (limited .40 glock 35)? if so, what is preferred? thx

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    IDPA, on the higher levels of competition, tests the ammo you use to make sure your power factor is met. 115gr 9mm needs to have a minimum speed to be legal for IDPA. If your ammo meets this spec, use it. I personally use the lightest bullet weight for caliber I can get away with to keep recoil down. I use 165gr FMJs in my .40 Limited gun. YMMV.

Jim

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    For USPSA, are you shooting Limited Major or Minor?

For Major, you need a power factor of 165 (as of 2008.) I load 180gr JHP with 4.8gr of Clay's (COL=1.210"), which gets me to ~ 925fps; a PF of ~166.5. In my pistol, the recoil is very tame- feels like a 9mm.

If you're shooting factory ammo only, I'd shoot what ever's most comfortable, assuming it meets minimum speeds (~916fps for 180gr and 1,000fps for 165gr.) Do you have a chrony?

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD
    given that i'm using factory ammo, does bullet weight matter much for idpa (9mm glock 34) and uspsa (limited .40 glock 35)? if so, what is preferred? thx

Most any 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP factory ammo makes power factor (125 for USPSA minor and IDPA SSP / ESP, 165 for USPS major and IDPA CDP)

IMHO shoot whatever factory ammo feels good to you, just check it out of your gun(s) to confirm it makes PF.

The benefit to reloading is you can tune / down load ammo to just a bit over PF and get a softer shooting load.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    shooting major in Limited / L-10. all the big name (win, fed, speer, cci) commercial loads i saw in .40 from 155g to 180g make major pretty easily (based on their stated velocity). i'm not good enough to tell the diff in recoil though i suspect it does make a diff, hence my question.

sounds like lighter bullet is better than heavier, as long as minor (for 9) and major (for 40 in limited) is met.

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    shooting major in Limited / L-10. all the big name (win, fed, speer, cci) commercial loads i saw in .40 from 155g to 180g make major pretty easily (based on their stated velocity). i'm not good enough to tell the diff in recoil though i suspect it does make a diff, hence my question.

sounds like lighter bullet is better than heavier, as long as minor (for 9) and major (for 40 in limited) is met.

This is not from personal experience but it is my understanding that in 9mm 147gr has a less snappy recoil than 115gr

I have been shooting 115 but once I'm out I'm gonna try 124 and 147 to compare.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    [if] muzzle energy is pretty much equal to or a predictor of recoil, seems the heavier bullets, again in factory loadings, have the lower muzzle energy (e = 1/2mass x velocity squared). the bullet weight only counts for half, but velocity is squared.

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    [if] muzzle energy is pretty much equal to or a predictor of recoil, seems the heavier bullets, again in factory loadings, have the lower muzzle energy (e = 1/2mass x velocity squared). the bullet weight only counts for half, but velocity is squared.

Assuming the gun is the same, I think recoil has more to do with momentum than projectile energy, which is m*v.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Factory ammo you won't find much of a difference with the 34. If I were you I'd shoot whatever is cheapest.
    When you reload you'll have to do some playing and see what feels best in your gun. I shoot a 124gr bullet in my reloads because I felt the slide was lugging a bit coming back into battery with the 147gr in the 34.
    The 147gr does give more of a push recoil impulse but the 124gr snapps that longer slide back onto target quicker.
    If I were shooting a 17 I'd probably use the 147gr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom