• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'd say another major factor is if you are running a suppressed rifle. You would want a piston op over DI for that, even with limited experience I know 30 bursts of hot vaporized CLP and carbon flying in your face really sucks vs. minimal blowback with an LWRC converted to full auto.

[edit] this already got covered, just throwing in my .02

Spot on Smores, but Grease and 30W Syn Motor Oil wil keep a suppressed D.I. AR running very smoothly if its build correctly. :)

livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    Im a HUGE HK fan but that test is rigged. They fire the Colt before water drains, they let the HK drain more before firing.

Theres only one Piston AR I would ever own, and it a LWRC. HK 416 is not the fantastic rifle people think it is.

If you want a piston AR, no one will talk you out of one, but I can tell you from first hand experience that piston AR's gove no advantage over a D.I. AR. Some parts are proprietary depending on the manufacturer, the have carrier tilt, need expensive receiver extensions to eliminate the carrier tilt, they cost more than D.I. AR's, the recoil is a little charper, they are generally less accurate (Not all the time, but D.I. AR's have an accuracy advantage).

Based off every piece of advice i've ever heard you give i'll take that as gold. Let me throw you another question, i know an ar build is pretty straight forward from what i've seen. I've built a 1911 before and its fully functional, all safety checks work and no ftf or fte for quite a few rounds. How hard is an hk33 build. I'm decent with my syncrowave but it looks a bit of a challenge.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Based off every piece of advice i've ever heard you give i'll take that as gold. Let me throw you another question, i know an ar build is pretty straight forward from what i've seen. I've built a 1911 before and its fully functional, all safety checks work and no ftf or fte for quite a few rounds. How hard is an hk33 build. I'm decent with my syncrowave but it looks a bit of a challenge.

About as hard as a G3/HK91 build... if you can weld, this is a piece of cake. The biggest trick is bending and straightening the receiver. Fortunately I have a full length mandrel that makes it a snap to get it perfectly straight and have nice squared up rails. Weapons Guild has all the info you need.

Mark

livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    About as hard as a G3/HK91 build... if you can weld, this is a piece of cake. The biggest trick is bending and straightening the receiver. Fortunately I have a full length mandrel that makes it a snap to get it perfectly straight and have nice squared up rails. Weapons Guild has all the info you need.

Mark

Cool i'll check it out, welding isn't a problem. Most people make their own pressing jigs? Have a 10 ton press at the shop.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Cool i'll check it out, welding isn't a problem. Most people make their own pressing jigs? Have a 10 ton press at the shop.

When you need to straighten the receiver, you need to use a press with a decent throat length. I use a HF 20 ton, but a 10 ton press will bend it. I bent some using a 3/4" steel rod and a screw driver... so yes, you don't need anything fancy, just patience.

Mark

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Thankyou for your kind words. :) I try to inform people the best I can so they wont make a buy they regret, or so can maximize the value of what they are looking for. I have seen pretty much everything under shte sun, what works, and what dosent. I hate seeing good people spend their hard earned money on things that are cheaply build, hyped up, or is just junk.

HK33's arent hard if you have the jigs, welder, and press. You have to build heatsinks too because welding the rrunnion into a receiver will cause the trunnion to get too soft or hard, leading to problems in very few rounds (Headspace Changes). You will then have to construct a home park tank or pay someone to park your setup.

Best bet is to get a good Vector .223 clone.

Get this if you dont want to SBR it http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct522.aspx

Get this if you want a SBR, get it on a BATFE Form 1, and then add a collapsible or fixed stock

K Variant http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct889.aspx
    Midsize Variant http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct525.aspx

I know Midcountygunshop has been getting some Vector Arms guns, perhaps he can get you just what you want. :thumbsup: Stay with a personal build if it can be done right, a Factory HK, Reputable HK Built weapon, or a Vector

Whatever you do dont get a Century HK Clone.

livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    Thankyou for your kind words. :) I try to inform people the best I can so they wont make a buy they regret, or so can maximize the value of what they are looking for. I have seen pretty much everything under shte sun, what works, and what dosent. I hate seeing good people spend their hard earned money on things that are cheaply build, hyped up, or is just junk.

HK33's arent hard if you have the jigs, welder, and press. You have to build heatsinks too because welding the rrunnion into a receiver will cause the trunnion to get too soft or hard, leading to problems in very few rounds (Headspace Changes). You will then have to construct a home park tank or pay someone to park your setup.

Best bet is to get a good Vector .223 clone.

Get this if you dont want to SBR it http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct522.aspx

Get this if you want a SBR, get it on a BATFE Form 1, and then add a collapsible or fixed stock

K Variant http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct889.aspx
    Midsize Variant http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct525.aspx

I know Midcountygunshop has been getting some Vector Arms guns, perhaps he can get you just what you want. :thumbsup: Stay with a personal build if it can be done right, a Factory HK, Reputable HK Built weapon, or a Vector

Whatever you do dont get a Century HK Clone.

Hmmm decisions decisions. Can you tell me more about the heat sinks? Would pulse welding with my tig help any with the heat disspursment?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hmmm decisions decisions. Can you tell me more about the heat sinks? Would pulse welding with my tig help any with the heat disspursment?

You would have to fab a heatsink, It would have to fiil the trunnion and chamber. Aluminum would be a good choice.

I perfer to plug the muzzle and fill the bore/trunion with water. Its just risky welding around water. Its hard to say what settings your welder needs to be on without using it myself. It took me ALOT of practice to know what settings to adjust my welder to use on different guns.

Its a fine line when welding these. If you play it too safe the welds wont penetrate enough, too much and you run into changing the heat treatment, or warping parts putting them out of spec.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Since the thread is drifting... I'm going to be starting doing some HK builds in the next 6 months (hopefully sooner). Taking some welding courses at MC this semester so I can get real damn good. I have experience with oxy/acetylene but very little.

What's the deal with HK and building clones of their stuff, as long as you don't call it an "MP5" or something, they won't sue you? Or if you make a couple a year, they don't care? I know HK is very sue-happy, they all but cornered the Airsoft market for replicas of their stuff a couple years ago, I've always wondered why they never cared about people making their own builds. I guess the best explanation is that they know how to build them 100% right and have been doing it for decades... no one can really compete with their products - if they were available new on the civilian market :innocent0

And Chad, I agree with you on the LWRC being the only piston AR worth a shit. I've been inside a few piston systems and LWRCs is built very well. Not some crummy retro-fit, they actually redesigned components to make it work well. New BC with wide rear so it won't tilt, operating lug dovetailed, screwed and staked - not just a converted carrier key...

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Since the thread is drifting... I'm going to be starting doing some HK builds in the next 6 months (hopefully sooner). Taking some welding courses at MC this semester so I can get real damn good. I have experience with oxy/acetylene but very little.

MIG will put the least heat into the metal for what you are trying to do, while TIG affords very precise puddle control, MIG will allow you to control the heat much more effectively.

Anyone who has MIG and TIG welded thin sheet metal can attest to this.

Mark

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I love welding, and HK builds are rewarding. They are like crafting a custom 1911, when its done you know you did something. :thumbsup::D

What's the deal with HK and building clones of their stuff, as long as you don't call it an "MP5" or something, they won't sue you? Or if you make a couple a year, they don't care? I know HK is very sue-happy, they all but cornered the Airsoft market for replicas of their stuff a couple years ago, I've always wondered why they never cared about people making their own builds. I guess the best explanation is that they know how to build them 100% right and have been doing it for decades... no one can really compete with their products - if they were available new on the civilian market :innocent0

I dont get HK with this either. Thye have pretty much discontinued building (9X, 5X, and 3X series guns, why they care people are buiding clones confuses me.

And Chad, I agree with you on the LWRC being the only piston AR worth a shit. I've been inside a few piston systems and LWRCs is built very well. Not some crummy retro-fit, they actually redesigned components to make it work well. New BC with wide rear so it won't tilt, operating lug dovetailed, screwed and staked - not just a converted carrier key...

Agreed, they are setup the way a fine defensive weapon should be, no half-assery in their stuff. :thumbsup:

Get a Sig556. Piston driven gun that's different from all the AR fanboys' guns.

Nice guns indeed. The only reason I dont own one anymore is because my Daewoo DR200 is badass, so I had to part with one or the other. The SIG had to go.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    In reality I love my Sig 556. Maybe cause I have dealt with ARs and M14's most of the time but it's a nice gun. lightweight, shoots better than I can ever shoot plus it does not look like it will break any time soon. I might need to get a spare parts kit (if I can find one).

No need to worry about carrier tilt.

Also the proper response would have been to get both. So the smack is well deserved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom