• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    let me toss this out there as well. whats the legality of building a 80 percent frame in md and does anybody have a link to them?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    let me toss this out there as well. whats the legality of building a 80 percent frame in md and does anybody have a link to them?

Do you have access to a good mill? Here's a 60% kit and jigs... How much do you want to invest in this? You may be better off just buying a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom... :o

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    livefast1,

Building a firearm for personal use is legal in MD as long as it isn not an "Assault Pistol" variant.

To your original question/topic, doing the build yourself should go ok if you use so called drop in parts. For a full build that requires complete fitting you should not try it unless you have the disposable funds to replace whats messed up learning.

I cant count how many guns I have had to repair that home smiths and amateur smiths have hacked up. The funds it takes to replace the damaged parts and the labor youll pay a knowledged smith to make it right will certainly exceed what a nice semi custom 1911 with a warranty would have run you from the start.

I have a motto with things like this, it applies to firearms too: "If you have to ask how to do something, then you probably should pay someone to do it or teach you".

livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    I understand the complexity of the project. Also understand the importance of all the tolerances that must fall in spec. While I could just go buy a pistol and be done with it I wouldn't learn a thing from that. That being said I have been looking into mills and lathes as I would like to get into machining and metal work. I already have a syncrowave 200 that I am decent with. Would just be able to look at it when its finished and say I put the time into it and did it myself.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    FYI, news is that the Foster frames are marked "Foster Industries", but they have submitted the forms and a sample to the Board. They might be approved soon. Fusion also said that they submitted the forms for complete guns as well.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I understand the complexity of the project. Also understand the importance of all the tolerances that must fall in spec. While I could just go buy a pistol and be done with it I wouldn't learn a thing from that. That being said I have been looking into mills and lathes as I would like to get into machining and metal work. I already have a syncrowave 200 that I am decent with. Would just be able to look at it when its finished and say I put the time into it and did it myself.

If you can afford the machinery, you should consider Cylinder & Slide's 1911 build class. It's held twice a year, in Nebraska and Virginia Beach. Expensive, but you'll learn how to do it the right way.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911class_new.shtml

livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    Well i'm definitly gonna go through with the build, i got my parts kit in yesterday was goin through it and noticed they sent me a .38 super barrel on accident doh. Should be able to get it swapped out and then gonna do some more looking and pricing of frames and slides. the base caspian frame is about 186 bux, could swing that and they're on the list. Gonna save the 80/60 frame build for down the road after 1. this build turns out satisfactory 2. i buy the tools needed for such a build.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Well i'm definitly gonna go through with the build, i got my parts kit in yesterday was goin through it and noticed they sent me a .38 super barrel on accident doh. Should be able to get it swapped out and then gonna do some more looking and pricing of frames and slides. the base caspian frame is about 186 bux, could swing that and they're on the list. Gonna save the 80/60 frame build for down the road after 1. this build turns out satisfactory 2. i buy the tools needed for such a build.

Congratulations! I'm going forward with my build, as well. I've already received my first parts: a Damascus hammer, titanium strut, and pin.

Yeah, that's all. The frame and slide are 6 months away, so it will be a good winter project.

livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    Congratulations! I'm going forward with my build, as well. I've already received my first parts: a Damascus hammer, titanium strut, and pin.

Yeah, that's all. The frame and slide are 6 months away, so it will be a good winter project.

Nice, my build will also be stretched out which will hopefully make it a little more affordable. What slide/frame you going with, sounds like your build is a little more on the higher end?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Nice, my build will also be stretched out which will hopefully make it a little more affordable. What slide/frame you going with, sounds like your build is a little more on the higher end?

I have a terrible habit of overdoing everything. In that vain, what started off as just wanting a 1911 with more capacity has turned into a Caspian Titanium Hi Cap Recon Receiver with a .40S&W ramped barrel (kart), 5" Damascus slide with Damascus trigger and hammer. Since I'm placing the order, I'm getting five 18 round mags with it. I'm having Caspian do all of the "metal" work- slide/frame fit, sight cuts, front cocking serrations, ramped barrel cuts, front strap/MSH serrations, radial cuts, grip safety blend, etc... Essentially, my parts will be the barrel install and the trigger/sear/hammer. I've already talked with Cylinder & Slide about doing the installs for me if it turns out to be too much for me. Even if I think I did do a good job, I want to take it to a local gunsmith for a safety/function check.

Yeah, it's turned into a major production.

livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    so far i have my 1911 builders kit, they got me the right barrel out and it looks like its brand new. i ordered a rock island slide, mainly because it was 125 bux but even more so because it has easily removable dovetail sights. hopefully will have a caspian frame on the way soon, can't wait to put this thing together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom