• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    My family recently purchased an WASR 10 AK 47 and because I go to college, I have not been able to shoot it. I noticed the other day when I was cleaning it that when I rack the bolt back a few times, two pins start to come loose. I believe that they are the hammer/trigger pins.

If you do not know what i am talking about, a picture is found on the attached website, about half way down the page under Ak47 Fire Control Parts.

My question is, what can I do about this?

http://www.ak-47.us/AK47_Parts.php#42

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Sounds like you need a pin retainer

685437.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=685437

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If you clean your Ak, you'll probably notice this retaining spring not doing anything

0-0-00-HammerPinRetainingSpring.jpg

agreed...its most likely not in the detents one for each pin...as the spring clip should pop into place...some are trickier than others as they require some pressure to put them in sometimes...i have a few different makes of aks and they are all similar but different...

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Okay, Thanks alot guys!

Ill try and fix it next time im home

Should have done research. WASR stands for "What A Sh***y Rifle" :innocent0

On a serious note, good catch. Don't want parts like that walking loose... The WASRs can be decent, but there are some problems you may have to fix even out of the box.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would have somone like Chad (Clandestine) check it out. I have had alot of AKs and the pins are usually a bi^ch to get out. Shouldnt be walking out on their own. now an AR they practically slide out.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I would have somone like Chad (Clandestine) check it out. I have had alot of AKs and the pins are usually a bi^ch to get out. Shouldnt be walking out on their own. now an AR they practically slide out.

Actually it's quite easy for the pins to come out if they aren't retained.

I personally use E-clips and/or cotter pins for mine though. Much easier and more secure then the spring and cheaper then the plate.

Take the pin out and take it to Home Depot with you and look through the hardware section until you find the right size e-clips and or cotter pins to fit around it ;)

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yup, sounds like your shepherd's crook was not installed properly, or was bent during re-installation (even a small bend can be enough to bugger it up). This little piece of wire is what holds the two pins, and all the internals, in place. It's not an uncommon problem, and not isolated to WASRs.

I always put a retainer plate in when I take my AKs apart, it's so much easier and more secure than fooling with the shepherd's crook or even e-clips (though both work fine if installed correctly).

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I've seen very tiny R-clips used to hold those in, their alot easier to install also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom