• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    I was in a LGS about 6 weeks ago and noticed this all matching plated P38. I called them today to see if it was still available and made an offer ($595 out the door). It appears to be a WWII bring back that a GI had plated. No import marks could be found but they may have been buffed off. Its going to be a shooter of course as I already have some that are collectable and I don't shoot.

Attachments

• P38-2A.jpg
      P38-2A.jpg
      101.8 KB · Views: 359
    • P38-3.jpg
      P38-3.jpg
      79.3 KB · Views: 352
    • P38-1.jpg
      P38-1.jpg
      105 KB · Views: 351

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    good deal for what you want. I really like shooting them. I think as far as shooting, this gun was ahead of its time. I know both my P1 and WWII P38 have been reliable as hell. I found my P1 I could load the pressures down and it still cycled well. Ejection patter of course gets interesting and not everyone notices it flies left. I like the sights, easy to see and line up unlike many pistols of the day.

Are you going to leave the sights as is or touch them up black with something that's removable?

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Are you okay shooting factory ammo in that or are you going to use lower pressure reloads? Asking because I have the same one, bfy1944 vintage and I'm a little leary of using modern factory ammo. Maybe I'm being overly cautious but would hate for anything to happen to this firearm.

Last edited:

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    good deal for what you want. I really like shooting them. I think as far as shooting, this gun was ahead of its time. I know both my P1 and WWII P38 have been reliable as hell. I found my P1 I could load the pressures down and it still cycled well. Ejection patter of course gets interesting and not everyone notices it flies left. I like the sights, easy to see and line up unlike many pistols of the day.

Are you going to leave the sights as is or touch them up black with something that's removable?

Thanks! I'm going to shoot it tomorrow so I probably see how it goes and leave them as is for now.

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Are you okay shooting factory ammo in that or are you going to use lower pressure reloads? Asking because I have the same one, bfy1944 vintage and I'm a little leary of using modern factory ammo. Maybe I'm being overly cautious but would hate for anything to happen to this firearm.

I was going to try factory loads. I have heard the stories of them breaking up. I wonder what the difference in pressures between the original ammo and todays?

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I'M not sure. Hopefully someone will come along that knows. You've probably heard the same things I have regarding the broken frames. I don't know how much of a problem this really is but in the meantime I'm just going to use soft loads when I shoot it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have only used standard pressure 115gr. FMJ in my Russian Capture shooter.

I've mentioned in other threads that it has been 100% reliable with Winchester White Box, and a total Jam-o-matic with Remington UMC.

Jul 1, 2012
    Stick with 115 gr FMJ. MagTech, Winchester White Box, Blazer etc.
    I'd recommend putting new standard-strength recoil springs and hammer spring in it (Wolff at gunsprings.com)
    The overall length of Rem UMC is a little longer and causes feed issues.

What usually breaks are the lock block ears, and the slide in various places:
    - the "bridge" at the front
    - cracking/failure starting from the top where the cutout is for the block ears.
    - shear/crack the recoil spring guide pedestal.

The post-war aluminum frames can crack at the hole for the barrel latch but it's not common.
    One thing you don't want to do is put in extra-strength recoil springs.

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Range report: The P38 shot great. Absolutely no issues. I used S&B, Rem UMC & Blazer Brass 9mm and had zero issues. I really enjoyed shooting it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom