• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Dude knows no arrows go onto horse English Horse Lady’s fief. He came in friday - pranced behind me posing w a clear as day perfect 20 yard broadside shot. Didnt take it. He trotted off looking for love. Set trap in same spot today. He came in from near my deck within 60 yards of me working a rub line down. I tried calling him doing my best deer version of two live crew’s “who wants some pU$$aih”. He looked interested. Ran off and came back around. Did the same thing and stopped behind me in horse farmer land. As a spike walked in. He was not happy. Started grunting up and stomping. Walked up to my tree but was at a steep angle. Heart was pounding started to draw going to slip in shoulder/quartering toward steep. And he looked spooked. Fox came in. Deer actually chased the fox off. Did an estrus call but he wasnt having it.
    Nice 3.5 maybe 4 year old i havent seen before. I’ll get him.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Dude knows no arrows go onto horse English Horse Lady’s fief. He came in friday - pranced behind me posing w a clear as day perfect 20 yard broadside shot. Didnt take it. He trotted off looking for love. Set trap in same spot today. He came in from near my deck within 60 yards of me working a rub line down. I tried calling him doing my best deer version of two live crew’s “who wants some pU$$aih”. He looked interested. Ran off and came back around. Did the same thing and stopped behind me in horse farmer land. As a spike walked in. He was not happy. Started grunting up and stomping. Walked up to my tree but was at a steep angle. Heart was pounding started to draw going to slip in shoulder/quartering toward steep. And he looked spooked. Fox came in. Deer actually chased the fox off. Did an estrus call but he wasnt having it.
    Nice 3.5 maybe 4 year old i havent seen before. I’ll get him.

Good luck! I’ve been watching a really dandy 7 point with very tall antlers who has been chasing love around my back woods. I saw him a couple of times last week and have him on camera 12yds from my stand eyeing up my game camera Wednesday morning at about 7:30am.

And I’d been thinking of sitting in my stand that morning, but work had beckoned instead (I work from home most days and I’ve got some flexibility in my hours).

I did clear bigger shooting lanes and took out a couple big saplings around my stand where I plan to clear the forest floor and plant some stuff for deer this spring. More to clean out later, but just getting things cleaned up better to sit in that stand in a week.

I’ll need to pull the pictures off the other camera there, but so far I’ve only seen this guy late at night and about twice a week he is around morning to late morning based on bumping him out of a nap spot. Which I guess is a perk I know he isn’t mostly evenings, so I can feel better about just sitting mornings.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    As awkward as they can be i’m thinking a decoy would have sealed the deal. Does just aren’t coming around until after dark. Same spot is a deer nightclub at 3am.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As awkward as they can be i’m thinking a decoy would have sealed the deal. Does just aren’t coming around until after dark. Same spot is a deer nightclub at 3am.

Good luck! I have some does daytime. I bumped one across the creek from my small property late yesterday afternoon when I went to take out and trim back a few saplings to hunt next weekend. That big 7-pt was bedding down with a big old doe early this week on the side of my hill a couple of days. But most seem to be coming out around dusk and at night.

I did see a nice 3-pt and a big 4 (big antlers him, but still only a fork) this morning out my master bath window bedded in my side woods.

It isn't every evening, but I'll get 6-8 does in my side yard right around dusk 3-4 evenings a week right now and 3-4 in my neighbor's yards right at dark most evenings.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lazy, so picture of the picture from my good camera, rather than pulling them off my memory card. Actually, I was wrong. I haven’t gotten a good pic of his left side antler. He is a 9, not a 7.

He is out eating and cozying up to a nice doe. But by my stand. And also I doubt my neighbor would appreciate me
    Shooting him, crossbow or not, in their backyard.

Attachments

• 7610FE3C-8B3E-4506-BD89-A1B3A27D76C6.jpg
      7610FE3C-8B3E-4506-BD89-A1B3A27D76C6.jpg
      54.4 KB · Views: 164
    • 67F4C919-D8AE-40A4-931B-91A573297F74.jpg
      67F4C919-D8AE-40A4-931B-91A573297F74.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 166

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Lazy, so picture of the picture from my good camera, rather than pulling them off my memory card. Actually, I was wrong. I haven’t gotten a good pic of his left side antler. He is a 9, not a 7.

He is out eating and cozying up to a nice doe. But by my stand. And also I doubt my neighbor would appreciate me
    Shooting him, crossbow or not, in their backyard.

Let him go another year and his rack will be phenomenal and his spread might very well be outside his ears. Have to let them grow up if you really want to get some trophy deer. There shouldn't be all that much pressure on him where you are hunting. In my 20s and early 30s, I would have been going crazy if I saw that deer while out hunting. Now, I would probably let him walk.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Let him go another year and his rack will be phenomenal and his spread might very well be outside his ears. Have to let them grow up if you really want to get some trophy deer. There shouldn't be all that much pressure on him where you are hunting. In my 20s and early 30s, I would have been going crazy if I saw that deer while out hunting. Now, I would probably let him walk.

I saw his cousin plastered on the road just two weeks ago. Might not be a ton of pressure from hunters, but not the only game in town. But yeah, it’s tempting to let him go and grow up another year. The farm near my house has been mostly converted in to a development now and the guy who was hunting it has “moved on”. So pretty sure it is just a couple of other guys hunting in the neighborhood now. Though there are a couple farms a mile away where I know they hunt. Pretty sure he isn’t wandering that far away.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

That rack will never be outside his ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom