• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Was theirs ONLY adjacent states?

QUOTE]

Yes, Colorado had a law on the books preventing a Colorado resident from buying long guns in states not adjacent to Colorado. So for example I could buy in Kansas, but not in Missouri. The Colorado Legislature passed a bill removing that law, and the Governor signed it (not that the Democrats had much choice, they burned alot of bridges last year in Colorado and were trying to get people to forget that, we haven't) and the law went into effect 1 August 2014.
    Now I am also Active Duty and stationed here in MD, but I am still a resident of Colorado (Driver's License, Voting registration, property taxes are Colorado, and in particular El Paso county). In theory I could use my Colorado ID now to buy in long guns in PA, DE, or VA. I just could not bring any banned long guns I purchased into the state. Which is fine, I already have weapons stored in PA in a secure location. I would just add those to them.

OK, so CO law was strange, and survived since FOPA in 1986. Heck, even MD law on the subject is permissive (can buy in adjacent states) but not restrictive (did not limit to only adjacent states).

And with your CO credentials, when you buy in PA or any other state, the sale must, by Federal law, conform to the laws of the state you are buying in AND your state of residence. So you cannot buy a long gun that is banned in CO legally in PA or another state.

If you were stationed in PA, you could use your ID card and orders to buy anything legal in PA. But being stationed in MD, that would still run you up against the banned firearm problem.

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    Only Chinese dragonuv rifles are banned. Get a Russian one instead. AK banned in all formats probably includes RPKs, DMR type marksman rifles, shotguns and pistols.

Veprs are neat guns. So are M1. Gerands, AR-10s and others. I doubt you can reason with a liberal activist state like maryland.

My FFL assured me that my 8mm Zastava M76 is a banned AK FWIW.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    OK, so CO law was strange, and survived since FOPA in 1986. Heck, even MD law on the subject is permissive (can buy in adjacent states) but not restrictive (did not limit to only adjacent states).

And with your CO credentials, when you buy in PA or any other state, the sale must, by Federal law, conform to the laws of the state you are buying in AND your state of residence. So you cannot buy a long gun that is banned in CO legally in PA or another state.

If you were stationed in PA, you could use your ID card and orders to buy anything legal in PA. But being stationed in MD, that would still run you up against the banned firearm problem.

*grin* I will point out there are no banned firearms in Colorado, we got hit with a mag limit ban (much worse than Maryland's, we can't bring them into the state legally unless we owned them before the ban.)

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    Only Chinese dragonuv rifles are banned. Get a Russian one instead. AK banned in all formats probably includes RPKs, DMR type marksman rifles, shotguns and pistols.

AK banned in rifle form not shotguns. Law clearly states semiautomatic centerfire rifle before the list of banned weapons. Under the shotgun section there is no mention of AK action being banned. While you and I might agree it is the same action, it is not firing the same cartridge as per the law, centerfire rifle vs shotgun shell and therefore falls under the shotgun restrictions.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    *grin* I will point out there are no banned firearms in Colorado, we got hit with a mag limit ban (much worse than Maryland's, we can't bring them into the state legally unless we owned them before the ban.)

OK, then you are good to buy in PA, just don't bring any of those evil, nasty guns into MD.

At least for now, I understand that CO is going libtard due to all the CA nuts moving in.

Feb 28, 2013
    *sigh* Yeah, well we are fighting back, recalled 2 of them and forced a third to resign.

That's what happens when the "rest" of the state still outnumbers the parts that have gone stupid, unlike here.:sad20:

Hopefully what they did in CO sent a message.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    I hope so, but like the old saying, eternal vigilence is the price of freedom. The fight never ends, just the names change. I feel for you guys here in MD, being stationed here has been very educational, even though I cannot wait to PCS. (still 2 years away)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That was a good start, but getting the law overturned would be a victory.

Blue Fins

Aug 23, 2011
    Where are you located? If near PA call The Gun Bunker and see if they are OK with transferring it. They are pretty up on MD laws but every once in awhile they get bad info from one of the MD FFLs they consult with, like The Bank and Blue Fins. Both of who told them my Colt 5951 MM was not legal. Got it straitened out though. God guys to deal with. They are in Shrewsbury, first exit off 83.

Just for the record... the Colt 6951 9mm is allowed in Maryland. As far I know, and I asked, we were not contacted on that particular firearm/transaction/transfer.
    I'm sorry you got the wrong answer.
    Glad you got everything worked out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom