• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I saw where the MC Chief of police mentioned ghost guns during a briefing regarding the Magruder High School shooting today.
    From NBC Channel 4 reporting:

"Montgomery County Police Chief Marcus G. Jones said in a press conference Friday evening that the suspect is also a student.

With the help from tips, police located the suspect in a classroom. A gun was also found nearby from where the suspect was apprehended, police said.

Chief Jones said they don't know if it's a ghost gun
    ."

It's INCONCEIVABLE that a trained police officer can't identify the make/model and caliber of a seized firearm within 15 seconds. It's inconceivable that the wealthiest County's law enforcement agency can't make that determination in less than 4 hours.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I think you are wrong on this. There is no delusion that the P80 kits are not a favorite of felons,,,

Point is, how is a repeat violent felon going to order, receive, build, and use these "ghost guns" while sitting in jail for 20-30 years ??
    Thousands of Maryland residents have been arrested and prosecuted for "possession" of a handgun w/out a permit since 1972. None are ever sentenced to the maximum penalty, most get released with "no paper" or plea out to a 30 day (suspended) sentence and unsupervised probation.

NOBODY is doing 20-30 years in a Maryland prison for mere firearms charges.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Expect most companies selling these to stop shipping to Maryland soon.
    That's their chief goal, to make it difficult to SHIP to a Maryland address. That was their idiotic strategy in passing the Magazine limit of 10 rounds.

They are blind to sales on the other side of the borders, tey "feel" better because you must drive 20 miles to buy what you want.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Question on serializing: Can you legally serialize a pistol in MD if you don't have an HQL?
    Unless otherwise exempt, as of October 1, 2013, a Maryland resident must possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) before he/she may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. You do not need a Handgun Qualification License to own a gun you already have.

There is no existing law requiring an HQL to build your own "regulated firearm" - aka handgun.

If you wanted to BUY (rent or receive) a handgun built from a kit, you would need to hold an HQL before submitting your 77R.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Whatever alphanumeric sequence you decide to scratch with a sharp piece of steel, cut with a dremel, or burn with a soldering iron, into the receiver? Homemade firearms aren't required to be marked, the ATF suggests you do so in case it is lost or stolen so it can be returned to you.

If you do mark it, note that the ATF only recognizes serial numbers that have at least one number in them. All letters are not accepted in their databases if you should later register it as an NFA item.
    I anticipate thousands of privately manufactured firearms (PMF) to have serial numbers like "FJB 001" and "LGB1" (determine your own interpretation of the initials).

Or perhaps "FBF99" (second F = Frosh)?

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I have no idea what getting an FFL to serialize a gun entails, which is what prompted my original question. I would imagine that if there is a record made of the serial number, then there would need to be a corresponding "passes muster" approval number too...but again, I don't know.

You know what sucks? If you or I are caught with one, you can be damn sure the state will go all out to put us in jail for the full three years, but the people in Baltimore using the guns for illegal activity RIGHT NOW that prompted this new law will get spit right back out on to the street quick as could be :sad20:
    "I have no idea what getting an FFL to serialize a gun entails, which is what prompted my original question. I would imagine that if there is a record made of the serial number, then there would need to be a corresponding "passes muster" approval number too...but again, I don't know."

If they word the bill that poorly, anyone with a C&R FFL could mark up your home-build with a Buck knife or an electro-pencil.

Unless they specify that the "SN created by an FFL" is somehow recorded, there won't be a record kept.

Nothing in pasrt proposals mentioned any approval process for Serial Numbers, and the federal statute is mute.
    (AN FFL could use "FJB 001" and continue to mark handguns through "FJB 999,999" and nobody would care.)

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    To all those who oppose this "initiative" by Brian Frosh and gang, speak up.

1) Join MSI (or donate);
    2) Follow the bill and sign up to TESTIFY (in writing and ORALLY) against the bill;
    3) Write (snail mail and email) your three Delegates and Senator and let them KNOW your position;
    4) Register to VOTE (if you aren't registered already)

MSI and others will actively lobby the MGA to oppose this legislation. If it passes both Houses, MSI will most likely be looking for plaintiffs to file a LAWSUIT to challenge it in State and/or Federal Courts for this infringement.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thousands of Maryland residents have been arrested and prosecuted for "possession" of a handgun w/out a permit since 1972. None are ever sentenced to the maximum penalty, most get released with "no paper" or plea out to a 30 day (suspended) sentence and unsupervised probation.

That would be for carrying without a permit since there was no permit needed for possession until 2013.
    Agree with the gun charges usually getting dropped.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That would be for carrying without a permit since there was no permit needed for possession until 2013.

Up until 2013, you only needed a permit to carry a firearm, after 2013, you now need one to purchase a handgun. You still do not need a permit to possess one.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Unless otherwise exempt, as of October 1, 2013, a Maryland resident must possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) before he/she may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. You do not need a Handgun Qualification License to own a gun you already have.

If you wanted to BUY (rent or receive) a handgun built from a kit, you would need to hold an HQL before submitting your 77R.

C&R handguns are specifically exempted from this. You do not need an HQL to purchase a handgun on the BATFE C&R list, or any handgun older than 50 years.

Once you purchase such a handgun, ownership exempts you from the training requirement to obtain an HQL. You'll still have to drop over a hundred bucks for fingerprinting and application fees. Basically a typical MD closet Jim Crow move, to keep the low-income groups unarmed.

Can't have them feeling all uppity.

Needless to say, this wasn't intended to impede gun acquisition by the criminal classes who provide income to the defense/prosecution/bench teams who live indirectly off of the illegal drug money involved.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Face it: Most arrestees (especially in Bloodymore) are back out on the street to score again before the paperwork is done.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Up until 2013, you only needed a permit to carry a firearm, after 2013, you now need one to purchase a handgun. You still do not need a permit to possess one.
    Correct, that's what I was saying above.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    SENATE BILL 327 - Public Safety – Permit to Carry, Wear, or Transport a Handgun – Qualifications
    https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2022RS/bills/sb/sb0327F.pdf
    3 FOR the purpose of clarifying that personal protection or self–defense can qualify as a good
    4 and substantial reason to carry, wear, or transport a handgun for purposes of the
    5 issuance by the Secretary of State Police of a permit to carry, wear, or transport a
    6 handgun; and generally relating to a permit to carry, wear, or transport a handgun.

Do I take this to mean that the Peers anticipate an "L" in the USSC?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This bill or a flavor of it is introduced every year and rarely gets so much as a committee vote. Debate this year will be interesting but I don’t expect the MGA to be proactive…

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom