• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Did you guys remove the rear sight as well, using the screws inside the receiver? Or has that stayed tight?

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Finally received my tracking number from BattleHawk Armory. No ETA yet but shipping via UPS. 8 days from order to shipment confirmation including weekends and one holiday.

Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I ended up emailing SDS and they are sending me a new firing pin retaining pin (allegedly). If nothing else, at least they’re responsive!

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    A Toros T4 field stock WILL fit the SDS S4, but is the same length as the pistol grip stock, will probably order a real benelli field stock.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The original Benelli pistol grip fixed stock fits. You just screw it onto the recoil spring tube.

The mesa urbino stock fits. That does not screw on like a Benelli stock but is held secure by a bolt that comes with the kit. The original Benelli stock bolt that comes with the Benelli factory stock is too long.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    The original Benelli pistol grip fixed stock fits. You just screw it onto the recoil spring tube.

The mesa urbino stock fits. That does not screw on like a Benelli stock but is held secure by a bolt that comes with the kit. The original Benelli stock bolt that comes with the Benelli factory stock is too long.

I’m just gonna end up ordering the field stock from benelli.

Think i can get away with using a Benelli M1 field stock or will i need the M4 specific one?

Last edited:

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I don't have a fancy M4. I just have a lowly m4. :sad20:
    2Vrpfqn.jpeg

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I’m just gonna end up ordering the field stock from benelli.

This is an original Benelli m4 fixed stock. It drops into the s4 like on the actual m4. It fits.

( please excuse the bubbafied stock, I’ve experimented with it about a decade ago. It’s shortened to 12.5” lop with an m14 steel buttplate )

Attachments

• B5C34E12-B08C-4640-88B4-185E0DC9FE06.jpg
      B5C34E12-B08C-4640-88B4-185E0DC9FE06.jpg
      81.1 KB · Views: 154

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I would love to see James Reeves at TFB do a 500rd torture test on one of these. The Black Aces died, the Citadel Boss Hog die pretty quickly, but the lowly Maverick 88 passed. Would love to see if a SDS S4 could pass.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I would love to see James Reeves at TFB do a 500rd torture test on one of these. The Black Aces died, the Citadel Boss Hog die pretty quickly, but the lowly Maverick 88 passed. Would love to see if a SDS S4 could pass.
    Why not 2000 rounds with a 500 round burn down? Then maybe an ice test, then an Arizona mud test, then the gauntlet.

I’d be more interested to see a long term review from some folks using them for 3 gun or another shotgun sport. That was kind of how the Stoeger M3000 earned its reputation. Unfortunately the M4 is not the most desirable shotgun for 3 gun, but seems to be somewhat common for club matches and other stuff.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

I highly doubt it would pass.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Most of these torture tests are totally unrealistic. Who buys a new gun, goes to the range to shoot 500 rounds straight, starts to have trouble, yet doesn't take it apart to clean/lube/fix when they detect the first sign of a problem? Yes, these test show if a gun is well put together from the factory. But they don't show if its an inherently good design but just needs simple things checked or screw loctited becasue it was built to a lower price point. A POS gun might nearly beat itself to death in 500 rounds but 'pass' while a very nice gun that just doesn't have its foreend/stock tightened down well 'fails'. Or have something like a crappy extractor that everyone knows to replace anyway. Yes, the gun should come w/ a better extractor but if you know going in to factor in the price of a new extractor and that makes the gun totally reliable is it really fair to 'fail' it as its delivered (some will say yes, some will say no.)
    Agreed, following their use in 3-gun or longer term hard use makes more sense than a made up torture test. It would also make more sense if reviewers would shoot and break in the gun a bit first, find out what needs tightening/updating, and THEN do the torture test. If a stock starts to get loose during the test, and you hadn't tightened it down before, fix it and move on. Now, if it keeps loosening and something simple like loctite can't fix it then yes point that out as a legit failure.
    I think anything w/ KNOWN flaws that are easy to fix is worth owning and fixing. I don't want a gun that is poorly made everywhere and won't last no matter what you do. Its hard to distinguish between these and 'torture tests' do little to help (but they drive youtube views) If I could buy a Daniel Defense DDM4 v7 for 1/3 the price but know going in that the barrel nut, gas bock, and buffer tube nuts might not be properly torqued or staked, sign me up! I don't mind doing that little bit of QC/work myself if I know the basic parts are good.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I think the hard core OAF tests are entertaining and can certainly highlight QC issues, structural flaws, and design flaws in firearms. But since I don’t know why I would blast 2000, or even 500 rounds out of a shotgun in as short a time as possible, I’m more interested in long term reports to see how these do. I am up over 300 rounds on mine at this point, and so far I’m not seeing anything besides the extractor that is a concern to me. Maybe something would have shown up if I ran all 300 rounds through it at once instead of over two range sessions? All I’ve been able to tell so far is that the S4 definitely does not like Stars and Stripes 3 dram equivalent target ammo. I still haven’t bothered to replace the extractor though, so maybe that will go away when I have a chance to do so.

I’m also not going to go all apologist if someone does a torture test and the S4 fails miserably because the receiver cracks in half from impurities in the crappy metal they used in manufacture (this being hypothetical, I’m not aware of any issues like this popping up). Given how low pressure shotguns are though, I would expect it to fail on something boneheaded and preventable like premature wear on the recoil spring or most probably the extractor breaking.

Any way you cut it, I’d rather see a bunch of these out in the wild getting used in competition to get a larger sampling of data. As long as it’s not the BCG/bolt, receiver, or barrel that break, everything else seems to be pretty cheap to repair/replace.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Agree with FSV above. I bought this to get a semi-auto shotgun for sporadic range trips without paying a massive premium for a Benelli, Beretta, or FN. I am not gaming with it, I am not "trusting my family to it" (unless it decides to disassemble itself into my face during occasional shooting - then it would be a no-go), and I certainly not expecting it to meet some milspec or torture test of quality. I would like it to work when I want it to - and am willing to tighten and locktite screws along the way. It's also the least amount of money I have spent on a gun that is not core to my practical purposes (don't mind all the parts and accessories - that is also for fun). So I am ready to be pleasantly surprised or mildly disappointed. But I am excited to build this thing and try it out!

Sirex