• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    MSRP is set at 2K, probably more on GB due to its newness. Then starts coming back down, to where Tavor / AUG are.
    I remember FN2000 was 2.5K when it 1st came out, then dropped to 1.5 or slightly less.

I had 2 different AUG and 3 Tavor, wanted to like them but ended up going back to a plain AR instead.
    If I see the Hellion in a year or so for around 1.1K, I might buy one just to see what's it all about.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If I didn’t already have a Tavor (and absolutely love it) I’d consider this rifle for sure. However, I also am curious as to Springfield’s motivation for getting into the bullpup market, it seems a little out of their lane. I wish them luck.

Springfield is tied in with the croatian company that produces it. Not that much of a effort to make a semi version for the US market. Stupid name for the thing.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Springfield is tied in with the croatian company that produces it. Not that much of a effort to make a semi version for the US market. Stupid name for the thing.
    I’d love to shoot one and handle one in the wild to see how it compares to my Tavor-21. Like I said, I love my Tavor and I like most bullpups in general although in theory mainly (as the Tavors are my only real time experience). With that said, I think if I were to purchase another bullpup it would most likely be a Tavor X95, since I had shot one in a Tavor class as well as shooting a co-worker’s X95, and possibly like it even better than my Tavor-21.

Who knows, I may like the Hellion too and add it to what could begin as a fledgling bullpup collection? Though it would make it easier to impulse purchase one if it were closer to $1k than $2k. Time will tell, I’m interested in seeing how this goes for Springfield.

ryan2

Mar 18, 2020
    Springfield sent every big Youtuber a Hellion with NF scope. Springfield really wants to push this product.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Springfield sent every big Youtuber a Hellion with NF scope. Springfield really wants to push this product.
    Just in time for all the “Everything Springfield make sucks” crowd as well as all “The Poors” (every thing that’s expensive sucks) crowd to shit all over it despite never seeing one in person let alone shooting one. At least this place is consistent.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I always wanted an SA80/L85. Then learned how bad they were. Probably the coolest looking bullpup. The Aug is too flimsy looking.
    On this thing? No. Tavor would be a better bet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cool ! I have long arms .

The appeal of bullpups is obvious ( to me) , .in theory , even in Md with arbitrary OAL requirements . Longer bbl length , in short(er) OAL . If I could have a 20 inch bbl in the footprint expected of a 14.5 or whatever , I'd be tickled .

At least as long as had a medium quality trigger pull , and ergonomics that didn't totally suck .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's a slicked up Croatian VHS, kinda sorta knockoff of the FAMAS. Problem is it has just about all of the downsides from early bullpup designs, LOP is 16.25 with the stock collapsed, paddle mag release, side ejection, 6-8# spongy trigger from the long linkage, and rear mounted sear, fat/bulky FCG housing in the rear, tough to access the charging handle, high HOB, low sight axis over the rail. Obviously haven't shot one, and glad a new rifle is coming to market, especially a civvy version of a military firearm, but for the cost, would definitely go for the superior Tavor or the iconic AUG. The Kel-Tec RDB is a lot less money, and has a ton of improvements in design, ambi downward ejection, lower height over bore, standard rail height for AR 1.5" high optics, slimmer, front mounted sear/good trigger, 14" collapsed LOP, and shorter OAL. My 16" RDB defender is really 24.5" OAL(without muzzle device), and only has an "adjustable" stock to keep it from being an SBR.

Bullpups can be awesome, they have a full length barrel and short overall length, that is the main point, but the downsides that come from complex and usually crappy trigger, long LOP, and ejection next to your face can make or break them. They can be wonderful suppressed, keeping a short overall length, and balancing well, while keeping pressures and blowback down with gas adjustments and the piston design. IMO this has all the traditional downsides, and costs a lot of money, in practice most any 16" AR will run circles around it, and more than makes up for the roughly 6" greater length.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Just in time for all the “Everything Springfield make sucks” crowd as well as all “The Poors” (every thing that’s expensive sucks) crowd to shit all over it despite never seeing one in person let alone shooting one. At least this place is consistent.

Underrated post. :lol:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's a slicked up Croatian VHS, kinda sorta knockoff of the FAMAS. Problem is it has just about all of the downsides from early bullpup designs, LOP is 16.25 with the stock collapsed, paddle mag release, side ejection, 6-8# spongy trigger from the long linkage, and rear mounted sear, fat/bulky FCG housing in the rear, tough to access the charging handle, high HOB, low sight axis over the rail. Obviously haven't shot one, and glad a new rifle is coming to market, especially a civvy version of a military firearm, but for the cost, would definitely go for the superior Tavor or the iconic AUG. The Kel-Tec RDB is a lot less money, and has a ton of improvements in design, ambi downward ejection, lower height over bore, standard rail height for AR 1.5" high optics, slimmer, front mounted sear/good trigger, 14" collapsed LOP, and shorter OAL. My 16" RDB defender is really 24.5" OAL(without muzzle device), and only has an "adjustable" stock to keep it from being an SBR.

Bullpups can be awesome, they have a full length barrel and short overall length, that is the main point, but the downsides that come from complex and usually crappy trigger, long LOP, and ejection next to your face can make or break them. They can be wonderful suppressed, keeping a short overall length, and balancing well, while keeping pressures and blowback down with gas adjustments and the piston design. IMO this has all the traditional downsides, and costs a lot of money, in practice most any 16" AR will run circles around it, and more than makes up for the roughly 6" greater length.
    A lot of people need to read this post a couple times. The VHS-2 looks cool, but that LOP is going to be a stone cold bitch in actual usage (albeit it does get you over the OAL floor...). It also doesn't have the cool AR-style mag release that the X95 has. I'm not going to say it's a bad rifle, because I don't think that's the case, but I certainly think it's a bit behind the power curve compared to other options. They'll still sell a million of them, I imagine.

Incidentally, I saw the RDB Defender at SHOT, and I've got to say that's a pretty clever-looking rifle. Unsure if Kel-Tec's fixed the functional aspects or whatever, but the premise looked solid.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    A lot of people need to read this post a couple times. The VHS-2 looks cool, but that LOP is going to be a stone cold bitch in actual usage (albeit it does get you over the OAL floor...). It also doesn't have the cool AR-style mag release that the X95 has. I'm not going to say it's a bad rifle, because I don't think that's the case, but I certainly think it's a bit behind the power curve compared to other options. They'll still sell a million of them, I imagine.

Incidentally, I saw the RDB Defender at SHOT, and I've got to say that's a pretty clever-looking rifle. Unsure if Kel-Tec's fixed the functional aspects or whatever, but the premise looked solid.

I have the rdb 20. It’s a decent bullpup. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it won’t work with usgi mags.

Attachments

• 1B47335F-7965-4605-AE0C-B2A7F10B08DF.jpg
      1B47335F-7965-4605-AE0C-B2A7F10B08DF.jpg
      72.6 KB · Views: 370

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads