• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    When I was in GA over the holidays, I brought my BFR .500 S&W Magnum as my son wanted to shoot it. Well at range day we had quite the curiosity of people watching and asking about it. I passed to some other to cap off a few rounds. One of the guys said it shoots like you have a rifle in your hand. I told him it comes in 30/30 and 45/70 but the .500 has more of a recoil.

Then I thought shoots like a rifle in your hand, the brain engaged, and I said why not. Yes, there is only one company that currently makes a .500 rifle and at almost 4 grand they can keep it.

So, hold that thought, I said why not make your own stock to hold the BFR to use as a rifle. So, between now and next deer season I will be making a custom stock to fit the BFR. The handle is pretty basic making the fit easy to do. Not sure what type of wood I will be using, either black walnut or hickory or a laminate of both. I currently am making a template of the BFR handle out of alder. Will need to take some measurements in stock length for proper comfort and fit. I have made stocks, and grips in the past this should pretty easy.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Would you also make a fore grip?

Attachments

• ACZCR22_600x.jpg
      ACZCR22_600x.jpg
      4.1 KB · Views: 963

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I got to shoot someone’s BFR at TMGN. It was chambered in .30-30 and, though it certainly had some recoil, it was not nearly as bad as I imagined it would be. I think if I was still buying guns, I’d like to have one.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Also looks like BigHornArmory sells one for $2500 ( https://www.bighornarmory.com/product/model-89-carbine-18-500-sw/ ) and there is a T/C Encore Pro Hunter in .500 S&W Magnum with an MSRP of under $900 ( https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/int.../encore-pro-hunter/encore-pro-hunter-katahdin )
    .500 S&W magnum was available in the NEF Handi-rifle as well as a factory fitted aftermarket barrel. Recoil is Stout but not terrible. A stock weight helps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    $200 form 1 tax stamp would make it legal in most states, however in MD you have the minimum 29" OAL restriction.
    you would need to make that stock extendable to put it at 29". I don't think that precludes you from retracting it and shooting it retracted.
    What is the barrel length?

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    The OAL rule doesn't apply to non semi-auto according to the state, so the revolver would be good to form 1 in whatever length

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Just bolt it via a hanger(s) to a working junk rifle.
    Sight through rifle telescope regulated to the revolvers poi.
    That way you can bench rest the rifle and just pull the trigger on the revolver.
    It was a way to determine longer than average accuracy testing/developmental tool back in the day.
    Cept for 500 naturally. One might want to work that out over something like a 38 or 45 but it’s been done before.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    While your gears are spinning, maybe something along these lines. Just remember the part about non affixed. As long as they’re two separate pieces and remain separate save for your hand holding them together, should be GTG. Google pics of non affixed shoulder stock and pistol, or non NFA stocks.

Attachments

• AF7B4C05-ACF2-49FB-A96D-078BD15C7B1E.jpeg
      AF7B4C05-ACF2-49FB-A96D-078BD15C7B1E.jpeg
      18.9 KB · Views: 326

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom