• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I think the permit is irrelevant. He's under the influence, that sh*thead shouldn't be driving anyway.
    Anyone know what the penalty is for doing that with the permit? I wonder if it's high enough to be prohibited from owning a firearm from now on.

Who said he was driving?

You sure he wasn't just in his vehicle sleeping it off?

Lots of assumptions here.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Who said he was driving?

I have no idea, just going off of the information in the police blotter.
    Whether you agree with it or not, plenty of people get arrested for DUI while sleeping it off. Obviously that can vary from state to state, I don't know what the law is regarding that in MD.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Who said he was driving?

IDK so much about MD CCW but for my county it was loud and clear: DO NOT **** UP!

A la do not set yourself up for contact with LE. That will give them a bad day, you a bad day, and the Sheriff a very bad day to the point that your CCW will go bye bye. That same CCW that you spent time and money to procure.

If you want to carry with a CCW stay within the lines.

If you want to drink; don't carry. And don't drive.

If you want to drink, drive, and carry; you run the risk of the CCW ban hammer along with everything else your stupid ass brings on.

This is 101 shit.

Stupid ass shit like this makes it tough to make the case for CCW.

Sleepy nappy time does not compute into this.:mad54:

Again; Don't **** UP!

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Whether you agree with it or not, plenty of people get arrested for DUI while sleeping it off. Obviously that can vary from state to state, I don't know what the law is regarding that in MD.

Part of the MD permitting process includes specific instruction on not to carry while consuming or under the influence of alcohol at all which may sound like common sense when dealing with what should be a responsible person who chooses to go through the process to lawfully carry in this system. Extremely poor judgement on the part of the individual, losing his permit is the least of his concerns, if the crime holds enough potential penalty he could be permanently disqualified from ownership at all.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md

You can use the vehicle for shelter without operating it. Vehicle running while you are sleeping in the back seat on the bar parking lot and you are likely good. Sleeping behind the wheel at a green light and you are usually screwed. Everything in between is what you pay the lawyers for.

Part of the MD permitting process includes specific instruction on not to carry while consuming or under the influence of alcohol at all which may sound like common sense when dealing with what should be a responsible person who chooses to go through the process to lawfully carry in this system. Extremely poor judgement on the part of the individual, losing his permit is the least of his concerns, if the crime holds enough potential penalty he could be permanently disqualified from ownership at all.

The law says under the influence. Not sure if the standard is the same as driving but generally, consuming does not equal under the influence.

Why in the world did do such a stupid thing???? He should know that you do NOT CARRY if you are going to drink and you sure as heck DO NOT DRIVE or attempt to drive...

Nothing in the article says that he drove or attempted to drive. He may have been but we don't really know.

It would be safe to say if he was in a car he was not teleported there at that area , i would assume he drove there .

It is safe to say he wasn't teleported but there is a dozen ways he could have gotten there without driving drunk. I've seen not guilty verdicts time and time again from officers that assume that a lack of teleportation means dui. Maybe his designated driver parked there and ubered home after an argument. Maybe he was thrown out of the house, decided to spend the night in his vehcle and had a night cap. We don't know and there are too many possibilites to assume.

The only thing that article spells out that he did was consume alcohol in the passenger compartment, which he was not even charged with.

There is a better than average chance that he screwed up, is dui/dwi, and shouldn't have been carrying a handgun. There is also enough room in that article for him to have not broken any laws. I'll reserve judgement.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Who said he was driving?

Sleep it off in the passenger seat. Even when the car is off and you're in the driver seat, that's still being in control of the vehicle.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    You all jump to a lot of conclusions, with very little facts. It doesn't say he was carrying, he may have secured the weapon in the car before drinking. May have attended a gathering in the neighborhood, and wanted to sleep it off or wait until he was sober to drive home. Could be a lot of things. Way too much battered gun owner syndrome here.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Sleep it off in the passenger seat. Even when the car is off and you're in the driver seat, that's still being in control of the vehicle.
    I don't think you even have to be in the driver's seat.

There was a case where even sleeping it off in the back seat, guy was charged with DUI as it was deemed he had to have been driving.

But I was drunk when I read that case.

Michael S

Nov 6, 2012
    Towson
    I thought at least years ago that if the keys were in the ignition you were considered driving. I guess that may not hold true any more with remote keyless start cars. Either way he was dumb for CCW with alcohol.

tjaw

Nov 14, 2014
    Monkton, MD.
    There is a lot of information that is not in the article. But I wonder what the guy was doing kitting up before he knew he would be drinking alcohol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom