• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Choke collars aren’t the answer. They seriously injure those with a stubborn will.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Choke collars aren’t the answer. They seriously injure those with a stubborn will.

:thumbsup:

Easy Walk Harness use the dog’s own weight and momentum against them instead of against you.

The lead is hooked to a D-Ring centered on the chest. Dog hits the end of the lead and is naturally stopped and pivoted around his front axis to face you. You got their attention for their correction.

Another way to slow and calm down your big adolescent, goofball is a trip to the Vet for the old neutering. If you're not going to breed him then he dont need them. He is got enough juice to grow and mature into a big, beautiful family working dog with the proper training.

You can consider Schutzhund or following the advice of the Monks of New Skete. Probably the best GSD breeders and trainers around.

https://newskete.org/dog-training

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    AFAIK you have to match the hatch when it comes to collars; what works for one may not work for another. I get the concerns about choke collars but here's my stories.

My maniac said FU to the snout collar harness. He took about 10 steps, I gave him a correction, then he went apeshit crazy trying to get the thing off. He was like the cartoon Tasmanian Devil including trying to bite my ass. That was not a good scene and so I eventually put that in the shit can.

Choke collar had no effect. With a lunging GSD the angle is not right unless the leash is about vertical in which case the GSD is at your hip and that's no way to walk a dog. Tried getting my maniac to get used to it but that did not work so that went into the shit can.

Those retracto leashes; shitcan for GSD and per the last vet I talked to, all dogs.

Prong collar did work best on an about 8-10' homemade leash. Good sized aluminum carabiner that fits your hand (but light) to attach to the prong collar mated with a good sized but not heavy rope. When everything is cool then the GSD goes out to the end of the leash and all is good; but beware, cats in bushes, squirrels, etc. can make for unexpected experiences. GSD's back hair stands up, see's another critter or people ahead, whatever; give space and shorten up the leash so your hand is on the carabiner and the GSD is at your hip. Corrections with commands over time are supposed to work; never did work 100% with my maniac on a long leash. But with the GSD at the hip a vertical correction is much more effective than at length, and much easier to control; that and verbal corrections did work 100%.

All that said, with your GSD controlled it will be at a disadvantage to an aggressive off leash dog or dogs; and that's a shitty situation to be in. I would keep the carabiner in my strong hand, end of leash on my strong arm, loose leash bits in my weak hand. Charging dog backs off then all is good; but if not...

The above has worked for me with my maniac. YMMV

Schutzhund: If you have a park around with a playground and nobody around (like way early morning) take him for a tour. Swing bridge, slides, stay, come, steps, etc.; off leash fun can be an indicator for Schutzhund or just fun to see the dog learn and you may be surprised at how hard they learn and adapt.

Here's an example of Homeskillet. I'm not going into the PB discussion.

Attachments

• Homeskillet.JPG
      Homeskillet.JPG
      9.4 KB · Views: 302

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Lol

Got a little dicey today, walked up on some cows and calf’s in the road, and a loose Collie just to amp up the level a bit more. He did pretty well, with zero barking, but the insane pulling is testing me and my knees a bit. Oh well, he’ll sleep tonight.

D7-D4112-F-26-A1-48-AE-96-FF-D4068-CDF1-B45.jpg

His sleep pics look like a chalk outline. Awesome looking pup. Seems at home

windyhill

Mar 24, 2011
    His name is “JD” on account of my wife who refuses to call him anything but “John’s Dog”. These two were really having a time today. She was getting the best of him for the most part.
    81-BA6-A56-2748-4-CE2-B131-9-DBDE987-FED0.jpg

0-B0-F67-B8-54-E0-4367-90-C8-073-D7-DB47-FE8.jpg

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Lololol

His name is “JD” on account of my wife who refuses to call him anything but “John’s Dog”. These two were really having a time today. She was getting the best of him for the most part.

Awesome!!! Love it

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

That’s great. Good things are already coming to you!

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    There's a female police officer in Parsons, Kansas looking for a new pup. This one might fit the bill.

edit: I should read the entire thread before posting. :smack:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Got a little dicey today, walked up on some cows and calf’s in the road, and a loose Collie just to amp up the level a bit more. He did pretty well, with zero barking, but the insane pulling is testing me and my knees a bit. Oh well, he’ll sleep tonight.

I don't collar my dogs, but they wear harnesses when out and leashed.

They are hugely strong, and can overwhelm my ability to restrain them when they spot deer, rats or rabbits and try to give chase. I outweigh them, but it's a matter of eight legs vs two, and 4 year old bodies vs 74 year old.

I've found that attaching the leash to the loop at the front (chest position) of the harness defeats the pulling issue, and makes walks much more pleasant and manageable. I use Ruffwear Front Range harnesses, but there are a number of others. Shop around for best price.

Link:https://www.rei.com/product/170241/ruffwear-front-range-dog-harness

As mentioned above, avoid the "retractable" sort of leash. Worse than useless.

Edit: This thread got me looking around for a leash with a quick-detach attachment, and I found this one and ordered it. It has elastic to absorb the shock of a dog suddenly charging a local rabbit, options for shortening the useful length of the leash, and a built-in handle for a close hold on the dog. I ordered one immediately, looks ideal for my purposes.

Link:https://www.amazon.com/EXCELLENT-ELITE-SPANKER-Tactical-Adjustable/dp/B0719BMJD2

windyhill

Mar 24, 2011
    Appreciate all for the info on handling. We’re starting to gell a bit better. Enjoying a few cool ones after 4-5 miles today. Thanks again Jack for such a great pooch.
    6224-BEAB-CDA4-4-AAA-BE7-F-E0-DFC7840-D05.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Appreciate all for the info on handling. We’re starting to gell a bit better. Enjoying a few cool ones after 4-5 miles today. Thanks again Jack for such a great pooch.
    6224-BEAB-CDA4-4-AAA-BE7-F-E0-DFC7840-D05.jpg

Great to see. Sleepy pups are the best pups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom