• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Stand by for discussion of " Days " vs " Business Days " vs " Business Days since we started to actually process your application " in 3, 2, 1 ....

To recap from a couple posts above :

91 Days - if no ruling yet from MSP , first day to request OAH Hearing

60 Days - to have OAH Hearing held

90 Days after Hearing for OAH to give results

241 Days Total maximum in theory .

What is remedy if OAH takes more than 60 day to hold hearing , or more than 90 to decide ?

The court system, probably federal.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Well take a look at what’s going in New York and NYC right now. People applying now are still getting denied.
    Although what’s interesting is that some are getting a lot more lenient about what they are allowing to show “good” cause. NY and even NYC still expect they will win.

So right now they are still denying apps. They aren’t even delaying them.

What will happen when it gets closer and closer to the time the opinion is issued? Who knows. I think they will still keep denying them.

ONLY those applications submitted that are still in the review process, or appeal process when SCOTUS releases the ruling an opinion will have a chance of getting approved without the G&S requirement.

I suspect the same thing will happen in Maryland, California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, And all the rest of the may issue states. Those with apps submitted and pending, in the review process, or in the appeal process, or those submitted AFTER the opinion is released will get approved and issued.

Which now makes me wonder about our territories. Will this ruling apply to them? PR is allready issuing permits now, and is otherwise shall issue, plus they recognize every states permit. Not the same with Guam, or the other territories.

Last edited:

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Denials can be appealed. So, if you are denied in (say) May and the opinion comes out in June, you can appeal, and you will likely win. They will probably start holding applications in March or April, similar to what ppl said happened in Woolard (MD's previous carry case).

The real difference is that prior to the opinion you will get a rough proctology exam, after the opinion they will lube you up.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    question: for a while MDSP was allowing virtual training classes. I did not see an advisory that they stopped accepting them. Did that end with the COVID emergency?

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I personally have decided not to wait any longer. I submitted my app 11/17 and it was "accepted" 11/19.
    I don't see how a person who is not computer savvy could ever navigate through the online app process lol.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I personally have decided not to wait any longer. I submitted my app 11/17 and it was "accepted" 11/19.
    I don't see how a person who is not computer savvy could ever navigate through the online app process lol.

What made you wait if you already had a G&S case?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    question: for a while MDSP was allowing virtual training classes. I did not see an advisory that they stopped accepting them. Did that end with the COVID emergency?

I’m not sure there were ever virtual classes for the W&C, thought that was just HQL but I could be mistaken. I know as far back as at the beginning of 2021 they were requiring in person, I had to schedule mine out 2 months in advance to get into one.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I’m not sure there were ever virtual classes for the W&C, thought that was just HQL but I could be mistaken. I know as far back as at the beginning of 2021 they were requiring in person, I had to schedule mine out 2 months in advance to get into one.

August 2020:
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...PU-20-001 Handgun Permit Vitual Training.pdf

The COVID-19 pandemic has altered many processes and procedures associated with group gatherings. In an effort to better serve the citizens of Maryland, and taking into consideration the health and safety of our partner Qualified Handgun Instructors (QHIs) and customers, the Maryland Department of State Police, Licensing Division (MDSPLD), has re-evaluated the classroom instruction requirement for the handgun permit training. Effective immediately, the MDSPLD is approving handgun permit classroom training, via two-way virtual platforms. This change in policy does not alleviate any of the handgun permit training requirements set below.

QHIs electing to participate in virtual handgun permit training will require a real time, bi-directional audio and visual connection between the QHI and the students. Pre-recorded presentations of any form are not acceptable.

Wear and Carry Permit training consists of 16 hours of instruction for an original application and eight hours of instruction for a renewal application. The approved training is offered by a QHI and will include instruction on State firearm law, home firearm safety, handgun mechanisms and operation and a component that requires the applicant to demonstrate gun safety and proficiency, with a minimum score of 70% accuracy.

I dont see where this has been rescinded. tbh they should keep allowing this.

I see some places appear to have offered them in the past but I dont see anything currently scheduled.

Edit: I strongly suspect this change went unnoticed. I have asked and anecdotally, no one including some instructors seem to be aware.

Instructors should take full advantage of this for as long as it lasts. Open up a zoom window and boom, I can be doing surgery, sponsoring a bill, and taking a W&C class all at once.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Well take a look at what’s going in New York and NYC right now. People applying now are still getting denied.
    Although what’s interesting is that some are getting a lot more lenient about what they are allowing to show “good” cause. NY and even NYC still expect they will win.

So right now they are still denying apps. They aren’t even delaying them.

What will happen when it gets closer and closer to the time the opinion is issued? Who knows. I think they will still keep denying them.

ONLY those applications submitted that are still in the review process, or appeal process when SCOTUS releases the ruling an opinion will have a chance of getting approved without the G&S requirement.

I suspect the same thing will happen in Maryland, California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, And all the rest of the may issue states. Those with apps submitted and pending, in the review process, or in the appeal process, or those submitted AFTER the opinion is released will get approved and issued.

Which now makes me wonder about our territories. Will this ruling apply to them? PR is allready issuing permits now, and is otherwise shall issue, plus they recognize every states permit. Not the same with Guam, or the other territories.

I think everyone applying around that time should put in NYSRPA v Bruen. That way they can't say "We were just doing our regular process and weren't thinking about that." They should at a minimum hold all applications that would be denied save for the good cause portion, and wait for the opinion and guidance from their attorneys.

The territories would also be bound by this opinion. They may try to fight under the legal theory that the 2A didn't cover this when they became a territory, but it won't work. It did take a while for them to finally acknowledge Heller though, seems like finding plaintiffs and counsel are more difficult for whatever reason.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think everyone applying around that time should put in NYSRPA v Bruen. That way they can't say "We were just doing our regular process and weren't thinking about that." They should at a minimum hold all applications that would be denied save for the good cause portion, and wait for the opinion and guidance from their attorneys.

The territories would also be bound by this opinion. They may try to fight under the legal theory that the 2A didn't cover this when they became a territory, but it won't work. It did take a while for them to finally acknowledge Heller though, seems like finding plaintiffs and counsel are more difficult for whatever reason.

I know of no requirement or reason for them to do so at this time. Even in June, I'd hold on to my $50 until I knew which way the wind was blowing.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Would a denial be held against you for the lack of G&S?

If you mean when you reapply then no, they do not “hold it against you”. I was denied once before approval due to G&S not meeting the requirements. Under the current system all that mattered was the G&S present under current practice.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Would a denial be held against you for the lack of G&S?

If you mean when you reapply then no, they do not “hold it against you”. I was denied once before approval due to G&S not meeting the requirements. Under the current system all that mattered was the G&S present under current practice.

It could matter when applying for non-resident permits. Some of them ask if you have been denied a permit in any other state.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    It could matter when applying for non-resident permits. Some of them ask if you have been denied a permit in any other state.

It was on both my PA and Maine permit forms, answered truthfully about prior denial and both were issued without questioning it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To split the fine hairs :

Lack of G&S , with everything else = Disapproval

Turned down because of other substantive reason = Denial

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Denial for not having G&S has never been an issue when applying for a permit in another state that asks about being denied previously.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    It was on both my PA and Maine permit forms, answered truthfully about prior denial and both were issued without questioning it.

That's very reassuring. Honestly, that's been my biggest holdup on applying, the thought that it would come back to bite me in the tailpipe down the road. Either on a CCW application or security clearance.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That's very reassuring. Honestly, that's been my biggest holdup on applying, the thought that it would come back to bite me in the tailpipe down the road. Either on a CCW application or security clearance.

Previous denial is not anywhere in writing as grounds for a future denial. The process is very black and white.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    When my Wife and I did our RI interviews the interviewer said that previous denials of permits from other states could prevent issuance of a RI permit. Especially a denial for a home state permit.

RI is an unusual Shall Issue State though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom