• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I went out for a a couple of hours at shooting light Saturday morning and took a unicorn spike. The freezer was starting to get a little sparse, so I went for the shot. A little tender meat in the freezer was worth it!

I had a bad shot the first week of October on a nice big-bodied 8-point. What I initially thought was a double boilermaker, ended up most likely being a brisket shot. He ran uphill following the shot. I tracked a very light blood trail for 400 yds (a few drops every 25 yds or so, after a fair trail for the first 50) where it ended in a teaspoon worth of clotted blood. Still spent the another 8+ hours searching, but in vain. Was relieved to see it show up on one of the trail cams in the last week.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    That's skin. :toothless I don't have a pot deep enough to boil the whole thing, so I'm going back and forth between the pressure washer and the Victorinox. Fact: skinning the skull is much harder than any other bone on a deer's body.

This is when it's good to know a guy with a dermestid beetle colony.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    it sucks worse to not have any support for the activity you love (hunting), and have it get hampered by anti's. The more people you can get to enjoy hunting, the better chance you have to keep doing it.

This x1000. Wish people would get it through their skulls that more hunters is only good for hunting.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    it sucks worse to not have any support for the activity you love (hunting), and have it get hampered by anti's. The more people you can get to enjoy hunting, the better chance you have to keep doing it.

This x1000. Wish people would get it through their skulls that more hunters is only good for hunting.

Absolutely. But can wish those more hunters hunted somewhere else :innocent0

Got off work a little early. Got my stand in a tree in my back woods. Got right back down to clear a bit better of a lane and went right back up. I watched a couple of does about 30 minutes before sunset work across my creek and up my hill to munch the corn in my side yard. Didn’t come within 60yds of me.

And of course no clue is anything is moving by my stand. I moved both my game cameras near it pointed different directions. One captured nothing except my ugly face. Not really expecting much. It has a fairly short trigger range and it was a fairly faint hope anything used the trail I put it right off of in the last 3 days. Other camera captured nothing. It wasn’t working with the memory card for whatever reason. Swapped cards and it’s working with the new one. I found a few fresh deer prints in among the leaves 6yds from the camera where I’d scattered a bit of corn along that deer trail two days ago and no corn.

I know deer use the trail sometimes and the perpendicular trail out of range of that first game camera I’ve got all the deer on that camera when it had been right near the perpendicular trail. Tons of does. Buttons. A spike. A sad fork. A five, a really mature 7 with very thick bases. And a nice 6.

But nothing that wanted to head by this evening. In fairness almost all the movement among both trails seems to be over night and in the morning with the occasional mid day. Not sure I’ve seen any late afternoon or evening movement on it (nothing between about 2pm and 7pm).

Just looking for a 3+ pts on one side buck. Freezer is pretty full so it is going to a friend who needs venison. that said, yeah if a doe walked right under my stand I might take her. But I don’t need to go sit on my corn which is almost always does and the little bucks. Never have larger bucks go up there. They just move up and down the path by my creek.

I’ll be out there all tomorrow hopefully.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    What better way to spend Veteran's Day than being out on public land watching Fall take place while waiting on an unsuspecting doe to walk by? :beer:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What better way to spend Veteran's Day than being out on public land watching Fall take place while waiting on an unsuspecting doe to walk by? :beer:

Sitting in your backyard hoping for the same (or a big buck)? :D

Just wish my backyard was 10+ acres. Not 4.4 total. Ya work with whatcha got I guess.

Red are the main deer trails headed up to my side yard where does and little bucks like to munch corn and then perpendicular along my creek headed away from me in to the bamboo where they like to bed down for the day and towards/in front of me where they head out for other food sources.

I did have the big local fox swing by this morning on he rounds. Checking out my chickens on the uphill path. Then she circled behind me 45 minutes later and I scared the hell out of her when she looked up and saw me in the stand 10 feet away.

I am thinking this spring I might clear some of the saplings around the tree I am in and maybe plant a few crab apples here in the woods. Or something else that’ll attract deer that’ll grow okay in shade (persimmons?)

Attachments

• 68D38F35-E32C-4724-9F3A-1B350DDA5D67.jpg
      68D38F35-E32C-4724-9F3A-1B350DDA5D67.jpg
      115.9 KB · Views: 133

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Sitting in your backyard hoping for the same (or a big buck)? :D

Just wish my backyard was 10+ acres. Not 4.4 total. Ya work with whatcha got I guess.

Red are the main deer trails headed up to my side yard where does and little bucks like to munch corn and then perpendicular along my creek headed away from me in to the bamboo where they like to bed down for the day and towards/in front of me where they head out for other food sources.

I did have the big local fox swing by this morning on he rounds. Checking out my chickens on the uphill path. Then she circled behind me 45 minutes later and I scared the hell out of her when she looked up and saw me in the stand 10 feet away.

I am thinking this spring I might clear some of the saplings around the tree I am in and maybe plant a few crab apples here in the woods. Or something else that’ll attract deer that’ll grow okay in shade (persimmons?)
    Jealous. I have to drive a whole 27 minutes to hunt. :cool: One day...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Jealous. I have to drive a whole 27 minutes to hunt. :cool: One day...

It is nice. But not a lot of big bucks. And like today where my backyard neighbor is running his leaf blower and mowing all the things, it’s fairly easy to blow the deer right out of the area. Now it is rural residential, so they’ll probably be back in an hour or two when he is finally done. Or my other neighbor lets his dog out in their yard.

Just have to deal with it, but I’ve got some of the same frustrations as public land. Just insert “neighbor doing something douchey” for “other hunter doing something douchey”. Though better excuse for the neighbor.

That and until I or someone else can convince the Howard county delegation to change bow hunting safety zones. I am one neighbor I piss off or a new neighbor that is anti hunting away from losing half my already small property from being able to hunt.

I’ve talked to all my neighbors who matter. And they are fine with me bow hunting. But I don’t like to live at the forbearance of others.

I am hoping in 3 or 4 years I can buy at least 12 acres somewhere in Frederick or Washington counties or further west (or WV). Build a small cabin for something nicer than a tent to stay in and a place I can take the family to get further away from everything for the occasional weekend or week. Ideally I’d like 30+ acres, but at this point I don’t want perfect (and money) to be the enemy of good. I can always sell the property or lease it some day when I am closer to retirement and can afford a bigger property (besides, I am thinking I might try to retire up to Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine).

I figure 12 acres gives me about the minimum to feel like I’ve got real space and then even if my neighbors are jerks, they can’t (legally) stop me from hunting my property. Cant QDMA that real well, but can still encourage deer to the property, have some options for where stands and blinds can go, etc.

And when I am feeling super lazy and just want to put venison in the freezer, if I can still hunt my house, I can always shoot a doe out my garage window.

But I am in season 3 of hunting this place (I bought it 3 1/2 years ago). 2nd year of putting cameras up in the woods (just put them up in my side yard where I toss out corn and hunt opening day from a blind). First season hunting in them really.

I plan to hunt all day today. Tomorrow I’ll sleep in with the rain, but it looks like it’ll stop by 10. So I’ll probably be out then. And no hunting Saturday with the youth day.

I am taking the week of thanksgiving off. So I might hunt some mornings or evenings then. My in-laws are coming to stay with us. So I am not permissed to hunt all day that week.

Then I am going camping and hunting Greenridge for the end of gun season. Not sure what I am doing after that. I might hunt the eastern shore again the end of late gun season. Maybe get up in a stand a couple of times in December or January here at the house depending on my luck up till then.

I really need to get a ladder stand, or at least a nicer hang on stand. The climber I am in is a cheap one. Works well, but not super comfortable. And honestly the extra time and noise it takes to get up a tree makes me lazier. I start making excuses to not go sit in it. Getting to sleep in an extra 5-10 minutes doesn’t seem like it should matter…but sometimes it does. Plus a stand if I really need I can take a late morning break for an hour more easily and quietly get down and go in for early lunch.

I do also Need a nicer climber. For public land hunting as well as if I just want to try a new tree for the day.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Plus hunting in my backyard means my wife can twist my arm more easily with stuff like “well today I need your help with X. So I need you to stop playing caveman and come in by 2 to help with it”.

If I am going hunting somewhere she just leaves me alone. Usually. Of course sometimes I can’t go hunting somewhere or it isn’t worth it because she really does need me for the morning or afternoon and I can’t skip out and I don’t want to drive 45 minutes round trip, plus the time to get in the woods and back out and what not. Just to hunt for a few hours. Like thanksgiving. Last couple of years I tried to get away to hunt for a day or two that week. Hell no! This year, yeah probably to going in to the backyard to hunt a few hours on a couple of days. So long as I am in by brunch time or I am going out after a late lunch till dusk.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Plus hunting in my backyard means my wife can twist my arm more easily with stuff like “well today I need your help with X. So I need you to stop playing caveman and come in by 2 to help with it”.

If I am going hunting somewhere she just leaves me alone. Usually. Of course sometimes I can’t go hunting somewhere or it isn’t worth it because she really does need me for the morning or afternoon and I can’t skip out and I don’t want to drive 45 minutes round trip, plus the time to get in the woods and back out and what not. Just to hunt for a few hours. Like thanksgiving. Last couple of years I tried to get away to hunt for a day or two that week. Hell no! This year, yeah probably to going in to the backyard to hunt a few hours on a couple of days. So long as I am in by brunch time or I am going out after a late lunch till dusk.
    simpsons_nelson_haha2-36.jpg

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The only deer I saw today was an 8 point. Saw it on the side of the road. Three hundred yards before I pulled into my spot to hunt, at 0530. That's frustrating.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I figure 12 acres gives me about the minimum to feel like I’ve got real space and then even if my neighbors are jerks, they can’t (legally) stop me from hunting my property. Cant QDMA that real well, but can still encourage deer to the property, have some options for where stands and blinds can go, etc.

I had an 11 acre property I used to hunt, and yeah...it really felt like you had some control on that size property. I had two stands set up to hunt the prevailing wind of the day, and could have set up more (two seemed to be enough for this property though). You could walk on one side of it without blowing deer out of the whole property. You could reasonably pick funnels and ambush points, rather than "well this is the only tree I can hang a stand in, so I guess I'm hunting here" which is what I'm doing now. I miss that property :o

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The only deer I saw today was an 8 point. Saw it on the side of the road. Three hundred yards before I pulled into my spot to hunt, at 0530. That's frustrating.

I"m seeing WAAAAYY more dead dear on the side of the road than last few years.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Saw 3 bucks this morning. Not the ones I’m hunting though. Had this small 8 right where he needed to be. He will be nice in the next year or so if he survives. The one pic is from my trail cam at the time I was in the stand.

Attachments

• F6EBE55B-B6B8-4859-8BBC-124EF2D4604F.jpeg
      F6EBE55B-B6B8-4859-8BBC-124EF2D4604F.jpeg
      99.4 KB · Views: 145
    • 35949AF9-6EDD-404F-87DC-74C12089AE04.jpeg
      35949AF9-6EDD-404F-87DC-74C12089AE04.jpeg
      84.2 KB · Views: 139

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Talk ladder stands to me. I’ve got my eye on the Muddy Black Widow. No real platform to move around on. But the couple reviews I can find are pretty positive. Looks like a Walmart/Sam’s exclusive. Even adding in the cost of my expired Sam’s club membership (Walmart is OoS) makes it cheaper than any of their other single person stands. I kind of like it is fairly light. I’d be hauling it in by hand or a garden cart. Not like it has to go far though. I am leaning towards it I really like it, I might get a second for next season and throw the first up for this season. If I can chat with a new neighbor on the one side of my property I could set the second stand up on that end of the creek. But even on the end I am sitting now, there are two, about 40yds separated spots (I am in one) where a ladder stand could go. My tree I think is better mornings for all types. The other tree better evenings, does (bucks don’t seem to go that way much for whatever reason).

Anyone try it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom