• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Just got a Vortex Venom. What are preferred set ups when zeroing in the red dot. I don’t know, what I don’t know. I’m looking for pointers?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Zero at 10yds to start. Ignore your irons and co-witness and all that... the irons are what they are. If you're using your irons to find the dot, you're doing it wrong, and you need to dry-fire from the draw more.

I've seen varying opinions about whether 10yds, 15yds, or 25yds is the preferred zero. IMHO, for practical shooting, it does not matter a whole heck of a lot. Having a good zero at 10yds is better than having a bad zero at 25yds.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Zero at 10yds to start. Ignore your irons and co-witness and all that... the irons are what they are. If you're using your irons to find the dot, you're doing it wrong, and you need to dry-fire from the draw more.

I've seen varying opinions about whether 10yds, 15yds, or 25yds is the preferred zero. IMHO, for practical shooting, it does not matter a whole heck of a lot. Having a good zero at 10yds is better than having a bad zero at 25yds.

Zero at 10 yards. No reason not to slave the dot to the irons (as well as you can) to get it on paper initially. Ignore the irons when actually zeroing from there though.

This is what I’ve been reading but I wanted real world experience. I’m also trying to understand using the red dot. I’m using the dot to locate my target, correct? Or do I use the front sight to locate the target?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    This is what I’ve been reading but I wanted real world experience. I’m also trying to understand using the red dot. I’m using the dot to locate my target, correct? Or do I use the front sight to locate the target?

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking here, but I don't try to acquire targets "through" my optic, I look for the target first, then move the pistol to superimpose the dot on the target. I'm not really following the dot to the target if you get what I mean...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

Once you have the dot working, IGNORE THE FIXED SIGHTS. The whole point is that the bullet will impact wherever the dot was when you pulled the trigger (presuming you're not having trigger pull problems, jerking, etc).

Here's something to keep in mind:

The red dot display is going to be sitting above the muzzle even more than the normal fixed sights are. If you zero the dot on a target that's too close, you're going to be way off on targets that are farther away. If you zero on something that's farther away, you'll find that when shooting just a few yards away, that the point of impact is off by some. This is because the optic on top of the pistol and muzzle are separated by the physical distance created by how it's mounted. This is going to be more exaggerated on some rigs than on others.

If your optic sits on a rail up above the pistol, it's more dramatic than when the optic is nestled down into a milled-out slot on the slide. Does it matter, at normal pistol self defense distances? Not really. Does it matter when you're trying to hit a six-inch steel target on the fly in an hurry during a match? Yup!

So just be aware that zeroing too close means the red dot has to "look down" at the point of impact. Ten yards is a pretty good working distance.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    like above, if you're using either front or rear sights while shooting, you're not efficiently using your dot. eyes on target and as you're pushing out you want to superimpose the dot on the target.

it's hard, esp if like me you go back and forth between iron-sighted guns and guns with red dots. that small incremental 1/4" over regular height sights makes it hard to pick up the dot.

if you lose the dot you can cheat a little by finding the front sight and going from there but again that is taking time.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Strongly recommend taking the new Green Ops Red Dot class. NoVA is a bit of a hike for you, but that class is going to answer all your questions and then some.

Incidentally, shooting red dot pistols has made me a much better iron sight shooter.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    To help illustrate the concept, I just slapped together this little doodle. Hopefully it will help with the concept. Once you think it through, it's obvious. But a lot of people who zero in up close end up shocked that they're shooting way OVER a target a few dozen yards away. Obviously at much longer distances, bullet drop starts to enter into the math, but not meaningfully with a typical pistol at pistol working distances.
    red_dot_sight_pistol.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    When shooting a red dot, you need to be in target focus mode, with the dot super-imposed. Do not look directly at the dot.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    To help illustrate the concept, I just slapped together this little doodle. Hopefully it will help with the concept. Once you think it through, it's obvious. But a lot of people who zero in up close end up shocked that they're shooting way OVER a target a few dozen yards away. Obviously at much longer distances, bullet drop starts to enter into the math, but not meaningfully with a typical pistol at pistol working distances.
    View attachment 309213

Very nice illustration of what takes place and why you always want your rifle scope mounted as low as possible also

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Very nice illustration of what takes place and why you always want your rifle scope mounted as low as possible also

No kidding! Think about the PS90, for example. That optic sits WAY above the muzzle. If you were defending yourself against an Evil Leprechaun, you'd better know how you zeroed that thing for use at practical Leprechaun defensive distances, or you could shoot right over (or under) the nasty little bugger.
    red_dot_leprechaun.jpg

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Once you get over the hump of acquiring the dot on presentation you are going to find it is faster. I also zero at 10 yards. I don’t even look at the irons for zeroing, just put the dot in the center of the target and zero it like you would a rifle. Then just focus on the target and the red dot is where the bullet is going to hit. It is really going to take a bit of practice to be proficient but once you get it, man is it good.

If your eyes have started to go (as mine have) and you are using progressive lenses, the red dot will forever change your shooting, no more struggling on focus issues. Just look at the target and put the dot where you want the bullet to go. No more shooting glasses with an in focus and crisp front sight and blurry target. I have already sold a couple pistols that I did not want to spend money on for milling. Won’t buy a pistol without it being dot ready.

Will probably sell my NightHawk Custom Dominator as I just can’t bring myself to get the slide milled.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Great illustration Occam! I'm a dumb country boy and that breaks it down to where even I better understand it now.

Hey, a picture really is worth the ol' thousand words. And it's DEFINITELY worth saving half a box of ammo while you figure it out the hard way. "Wait ... I've got to hold LOWER, the farther away the target is? What?" Being too casual on that myself the first time with a pistol red dot, it cost at least a beer's worth of ammo before I realized what I was doing wrong (zeroing too close).

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Hey, a picture really is worth the ol' thousand words. And it's DEFINITELY worth saving half a box of ammo while you figure it out the hard way. "Wait ... I've got to hold LOWER, the farther away the target is? What?" Being too casual on that myself the first time with a pistol red dot, it cost at least a beer's worth of ammo before I realized what I was doing wrong (zeroing too close).

I started zeroing but than stopped because some other variables came into play. I appreciate the info!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As a competition shooter who shoots red dots a lot plus iron sight guns on occasion its always better to see the target and bring the dot or sights up to where you are looking. This is the way the human brain is wired. We are sight dominant predators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom