• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I know I had been on here on another thread thinking of building a long action 260 Rem on a long action. Any hoot, the barrel I was having built was a Black Hole Weaponry M24 profile 26” 8 twist barrel with a 5/8 x 24 threaded end. I have bought previously 8 BHW barrels on AR15 and LR308 builds and they have preferred flawlessly. The P3 rifling has been stellar so I thought I would give them a try with a bolt gun. As this was a Remage Nut barrel I had 3 other Remage builds on Rem 700 long actions I could build of of. Any hoot I finall got the barrel in late January and as I got the barrel I switch it over to see if the LA magazine would feed. Well that became problematic and they would not feed even setting the bullets way out at 3.1 inches COAL.

So a magazine modification was in order. I figured out what to do I was going to take a pice of 10 mm x 1 mm tubing remove the current magazine lips and then either weld in or use a plastic fusion to set longer lips on the magazine. And then set a spacer in the back. Sounded great seated getting components together and my wife saw me in my tinker room and asked me what I was doing. I gave her the 30,000 ft overview and she walls up and says “absolutely not”. I told her it had nothing to do with the rifles performance just feeding AMMO. She said no, build a new rifle she said no modification of components.

You can imagine my dismay. Thinking holy shit I’m going to build a entire new rifle. After the depression wore off I Started looking for a Rem 700 SA. Well of course with Remington going bankrupt there was absolutely nothing on line. And I was not going to pay $700 dollars for a used old doner rifle. When all I wanted was the action. This is where it got serious.

So find a Rem 700 clone action. Again good luck, serious wait times, serious cash $$$. So after a week or so I talked to my wife and said this is not going to end up being a $1,000 rifle. She gave me the green light. So off to the races we went. Just saying for me, my wife and I have been very blessed so money really is not the problem. It is just with raising four kids and putting the all through school you just don’t think that way. You are always thinking about getting the gadget that does 90% of what you want it to do for half the price.

So it took me a while to settle into actually getting the shit. But after another week or so I gave in and purchased a Defiance Deviant Tactical SA receiver with an Trigger Tech Diamond trigger.

Next on the board was finding a stock or chasis for the build. So after a lot of research and knowing that ultimately I am building this to be a PRS rifle, I purchased a KRG X-RAY chassis and put a heavy bag rider on the back to balance out the M24 profile barrel. I also got a NWP NORTH WEST PRECISION muzzle brake for the barrel. So I got that last week and here I am left with nothing left but the scope to Mount on it.

So I start rated looking at glass and I have decent glass on most my rifles, a Vortex HST, 6-4, Vortex PST 6-25, a couple of Burris XRT 2’s. 5-25x50’s. Any hoot I want this rifle to be scoped with something a little more oriented to PRS with better glass. The rule is it will not cost more than $2,000.

I have looked here is what I believe are my options. Sig Sauer Tango6 5-30x56 , Athlon Ares ETR 5-30x56, Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56, Vortex Razor HD either 3-18x50 or 4.5-27x50, or last just to squeeze it in a Night Force SHV 5-25x56. I know there may be other but keep in mind $2,000 max and also keep in mid we are shoot PRS mainly 100 to 600 with some 1,000 yds targets. We are not shooting one mile.

I say this because the Sig Sauer has a lot of nice features but only 23.2 MRAD total elevation which is user classes as most others in this price range are 32 mrad elevation". Who careens though as I will probably max at 1,000 yds which the 260 Rem will do at 2 yd zero is only 6.7 MRAD correction. As a note I did get a 308 win 26” X Caliber barrel so I can switch out and run FTR with if I want. A 175 RDF will take 8.33 MRAD correction. So it will work fine.

What I do like about the Sig is an internal arrow display correcting inside the reticle showing you True can’t alignment within 1;2 of a degree. Any hoot let me know what you thoughts are on this. Which would you choose and why? Sorry this was so winded I just wanted to give everyone the lay of the land.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Razor. It probably will not break when you wife clubs you with it and if it does, Vortex will fix it.

My wife is never going to club me with it. She will use something heavier. Yes Vortex has their forever warranty. Sig Sauer, Athlon, and Night Force have forever warranties as well. It is something you hope you never use. The question is of course is what kind of service do you get? Never having had t9 send one back to Vortex or Burris I do not know and I am sure everyone has a horror story. But I would rather be shooting than waiting for service.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    My wife is never going to club me with it. She will use something heavier. Yes Vortex has their forever warranty. Sig Sauer, Athlon, and Night Force have forever warranties as well. It is something you hope you never use. The question is of course is what kind of service do you get? Never having had t9 send one back to Vortex or Burris I do not know and I am sure everyone has a horror story. But I would rather be shooting than waiting for service.

I have a bunch of Vortex optics used for hunting and competitive shooting. I left a spotting scope on the tripod bouncing around my truck bed with some other crap and ended up breaking the mount. I mailed it in, they sent it back (pretty sure it was a new one but not positive).

Another shooter dropped her rifle onto concrete and bent her elevation turret. The scope held zero and worked fine for the match. She called them on Monday, asked how long it would take as she had a major match in a month. They told her they weren’t sure and she shipped it in. She had a new scope at the end of the week and a note saying “We wanted to make sure you had time to practice.”

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have a bunch of Vortex optics used for hunting and competitive shooting. I left a spotting scope on the tripod bouncing around my truck bed with some other crap and ended up breaking the mount. I mailed it in, they sent it back (pretty sure it was a new one but not positive).

Another shooter dropped her rifle onto concrete and bent her elevation turret. The scope held zero and worked fine for the match. She called them on Monday, asked how long it would take as she had a major match in a month. They told her they weren’t sure and she shipped it in. She had a new scope at the end of the week and a note saying “We wanted to make sure you had time to practice.”

I did some research on the PRS website and found and article that gave all the breakdown on what number of registered shooter had what make and model of optics. Number one by a large margin Vortex Razor HD either 3-18 or 4-27. Probably that for a reason. Thanks for you input.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I did some research on the PRS website and found and article that gave all the breakdown on what number of registered shooter had what make and model of optics. Number one by a large margin Vortex Razor HD either 3-18 or 4-27. Probably that for a reason. Thanks for you input.

i started off precision with nightforce nxs. awesome scopes all the away around, but second focal plane. i switched them over to vortex razor, hd 2 of 3-18 on my 308 and 224 valk gas guns, and then 4.5-27 for my 6.5 creed bolt gun. no issues at all, and first focal plane which really comes in handy when you're holding over at less than full magnification. they're tanks but on a heavy prs rifle, who cares.

i also run a vortex razor 2 hd 1-6 on my 2/3 gun AR and zero issues.

fyi fri/sat apr 9/10 peacemaker is having a long range challenge. real good opportunity to check out a bunch of different glass options. and of course if you're all squared away, then come and shoot it. just a fun belly match roughly 400-1100 yds.

ditto for a prs match mar 27 at quantico, though unless you're actually signed up for the match or have base creds, you prob just can't drop in and spectate/check out glass etc.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    i started off precision with nightforce nxs. awesome scopes all the away around, but second focal plane. i switched them over to vortex razor, hd 2 of 3-18 on my 308 and 224 valk gas guns, and then 4.5-27 for my 6.5 creed bolt gun. no issues at all, and first focal plane which really comes in handy when you're holding over at less than full magnification. they're tanks but on a heavy prs rifle, who cares.

i also run a vortex razor 2 hd 1-6 on my 2/3 gun AR and zero issues.

fyi fri/sat apr 9/10 peacemaker is having a long range challenge. real good opportunity to check out a bunch of different glass options. and of course if you're all squared away, then come and shoot it. just a fun belly match roughly 400-1100 yds.

ditto for a prs match mar 27 at quantico, though unless you're actually signed up for the match or have base creds, you prob just can't drop in and spectate/check out glass etc.

Thanks so much for your input. I get that input a lot about the Vortex Razor. I have hear good thing about the Athlon Cronus and Ares. Unfortunately while I would buy the Cronus because it is made in Japan. The Ares are made in China so that is a no go. The Razor is made in Japan so that is an option. The Burris XTR II is made in Philippines but the glass comes from Japan so I could go that way, but no Christmas tree reticle. The XTR III’s do have one though. As you can see I am against sending money to China. I’d love to buy a US made scope but they get pretty steep quick. I.very shot for years but unfortunately mostly 200 yds max. So not much dope background. I have checked out the Sig Sauer which I like a lot because it has can’t detection Level Plex eye piece which keeps you from trying to look at an external bubble for cant. Unfortunately it does not come with a Christmas tree. So it make quick target change ranging a little more problematic. The only problem is really finding ranges that are out to 600 or 1000 yds where you CNA practice your craft. Thanks for your input. I’ll keep doing my research for now. Cheers

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I remember when the Razor HD Gen 2 came out. A LOT of people over in Sniper's Hide sold Night Force, Schmidt and Bender and other HIGH end scopes for the Razor.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I remember when the Razor HD Gen 2 came out. A LOT of people over in Sniper's Hide sold Night Force, Schmidt and Bender and other HIGH end scopes for the Razor.

You can see this by the shear numbers of people using the Razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom