• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Anyone used this? Looks interesting but I wanted to see if anyone has used it. It is free open source.
    https://grtools.de/doku.php

I was looking for something to play with to learn more on the computer and see practical applications. I am on a Linux distribution so most others programs have not worked for me and I don't like working with Wine.

I figure I spend the next couple of night or so learning on the YT channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEdG4IMYRhSA4Tc09hUKN_A

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Just playing around using 9mm with the 356-124-TC cast bullet and N320 powder.

1015 fps I finally ordered some Clays and can't mess with 45 colt until I cast some bullets not that I finally have primers AND powder.

Attachments

• Gordons 9mm TC.jpg
      Gordons 9mm TC.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 284

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, this is a free version of software like Quickload?
    thx for posting. I may give a try and just compare some of my reloads

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    All free and even work on Linux, after installing dependencies, if anyone needs it.

I'm still learning and no clear idea WTF i'm looking at exactly yet. ;) I figure i'll learn something, or at least keep all my fingers making sure things are not hot.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What have you read with what others have been saying about this?
    Just to play with it, I put in some numbers for 2 7.62x54r loads
    2 metalic loads I put in showed muzzle velocy in GRT close but 100fps faster than what I measured.
    I fudges in a PC cast load and it was 75fps higher.

Not bad though for a gross guesstimate

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I was playing with 30.06 and got a lot out of bounds not calculating. It also did not have IMR 4198 that I saw in it.

I really liked it but haven't spent enough time learning it yet.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I was playing with 30.06 and got a lot out of bounds not calculating. It also did not have IMR 4198 that I saw in it.

I really liked it but haven't spent enough time learning it yet.

did you measure the case water capacity?
    I got 69.6gr for my fired case.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I might check this out and compare it to Quickload.

Is there a way to look at the powder, cartridge and bullet database before buying it Quickload?

GRT I quickly noticed did not seem to have Trailboss
    Not sure how to deal with cast bullets either EDIT: I see some Lee molds there

EDIT: put in my reduced load with my Lee bullet on the Mosin Carbine and it came up pretty close (80fps low)

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    After seeing two nearly identical* rifles chambered to the same throat/headspace/caliber with the same reamer by the same gunsmith deliver over 100 fps difference in velocity with the same load on the same day, I'd say that getting within 100 fps on a prediction is pretty good.

*The ONLY difference was barrel manufacturer.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    After seeing two nearly identical* rifles chambered to the same throat/headspace/caliber with the same reamer by the same gunsmith deliver over 100 fps difference in velocity with the same load on the same day, I'd say that getting within 100 fps on a prediction is pretty good.

*The ONLY difference was barrel manufacturer.
    Great Wisdom Mr Shell. thanks
    Its interesting in the GRT that if you change the groove diameter, the numbers don't change. Bumping around bullet diameter, it does change. Somewhere in there must be a fudge factor for "pitted frosty Mosin Bore"

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Is there a way to look at the powder, cartridge and bullet database before buying it Quickload?

GRT I quickly noticed did not seem to have Trailboss
    Not sure how to deal with cast bullets either EDIT: I see some Lee molds there

EDIT: put in my reduced load with my Lee bullet on the Mosin Carbine and it came up pretty close (80fps low)

I just copied the Power and Cartridge DB as text files and placed them in a shared google drive folder for you to check out HERE. Note the projectiles are in separate files in their own folder. The files have a *.bul file extension but they are just simple text files.

Check them out. Also if you every want me to run a load for you just PM me.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    It is missing come things that are pretty common for powders. Trailboss and clays from Hodgden. Both I had considered for 45 colt an i will be using clays. Both could be used is shooting lower recoil ammo and obviously something you might wish to experiment with. I guess I am going to ahave to see if they have a forum for this stuff and questions.

I set a load for 45 colt and a Lee 200 grain 452 bullet. I can use Cays so I toss in Unique at 6 grains and 5g. I have a Erro of an Input value" but no signs of what it is. If I change bullet diameters to .5 I get three errors 2 for bullet size and barrel groves not matching, but no clue where the third one is sitting.

I can't see where the error is or how to find it.

Attachments

• 45 colt error.jpg
      45 colt error.jpg
      55.9 KB · Views: 186

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I selected the compact mode and not expert mode.
    I put in 45 colt, lee 200gr .452 RF bullet and 5 gr unique and get results
    it shows 978fps then other notes such as
    low burn rate
    inconsistent combustion
    load rate 25.7%
    Burnt propellant 75.8%
    A triangle /!\ appears near the step size amount for the ladder. I change it to 0.5 and it goes away
    you can set the ladder steps to 1 (disabled) also

I bump it up to 8 grains (a load recently recommended to me) and it comes to
    100% burnt
    1266fps

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Expert just shows a cartridge picture and measurements. I got an error I can't figure out on 45 colt and 30.06. No visual keys to why I am getting it.

They got a discord group and to get data on Clays or Trailboss someone needs to chrono them and I do not wish to buy one.

In order to create a new powder file in GRT you will need to run a 2x2x2x5 powder development run. That is 2 calibers, with 2 bullets weights each caliber, with 2 powder charge weights each bullet weight (max and start), five shots. That is 20 shots each caliber. Shoot these loads over a good chronograph like a MagnetoSpeed or LabRadar. The chronographs like a ProChrono are not consistentMake sure you include your Load Data Source.Make sure you include your Load Data Source.Make sure you include your Load Data Source. enough for this use. Then you use GRT to make a .grtload file for each caliber (2 files), so 4 files. Name the files properly so it is easy to tell the caliber, bullet, and powder from the file name. It is most important that you measure the fired case interior volume in grains of water (brimfull level (ever so slightly convex) and enter that into the .grtload file. You also have to measure the length of your lot of bullets, and enter that as well, and the cartridge OAL. If the bullet chosen makes the OAL vary a bit, use the average length.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I just copied the Power and Cartridge DB as text files and placed them in a shared google drive folder for you to check out HERE. Note the projectiles are in separate files in their own folder. The files have a *.bul file extension but they are just simple text files.

Check them out. Also if you every want me to run a load for you just PM me.

Does it have the Lee Molds also?
    I'm interested in 41 swiss which it has with Trail Boss and the Lee C430-310-RF mold

the price of quickload is not that much and not sure whey I have not purchased it already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom