• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I got 2 cans of it from a fellow who loaded and shot a lot of lead 45 colt loads. I’ve been experimenting with using it in reduced power and subsonic loads. I have to say I’m extremely impressed by this versatile powder. So far I have used it in a reduced power lead plinking load in my 444, a subsonic 300 blk load with a 150gr fmj bullet. The 300 blk is stupid quiet in my TC encore with a mgm barrel and omega 300 can. It definitely won’t generate enough gas to cycle my AR but I’m enjoying shooting the single shot a lot more anyway. It does seem to dirty up the can a lot faster than h110 or imr 4227 though.

My next adventure is to come up with a sub 308 load using a 168 bthp. I’m curious to see how my dpms pattern AR308 shoots them. It has a 1-10 twist so I’m hoping it will stabilize the heavier bullets at lower velocities also.

I may just have to buy a big jug of it if I can ever find it.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    I used it a lot in low load/low recoil application in pistol/revolver cartridges. It is very dirty in reduced loads and inconsistent performance. Also temperature sensitive. Since then I’ve gone to other powders.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I use it in:
    Nagant Pistol
    308 Subsonic suppressed (stupid quiet on my bolt gun and still accurate)
    45Colt Cowboy loads for Black Powder conversion cylinder

Trailboss seems to go in and out of availability.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I used it a lot in low load/low recoil application in pistol/revolver cartridges. It is very dirty in reduced loads and inconsistent performance. Also temperature sensitive. Since then I’ve gone to other powders.

Out of curiosity what powders have you found more consistent and cleaner?

I agree it’s definitely dirty but it seems To fill out the case better than any other powder I’ve tried for reduced and sub loads. I would figure the better it fills out the case the better the burn would be?

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I’ve had good luck doing 308 sub Sonics with 200gr bullets and about 10gr of trailboss. These are running through my 26” howa and saker suppressor. It is extremely quiet.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    N32C is the Vihtavuori equivalent of Trail Boss. It's much cleaner and way more consistent than trail boss for me. Quieter to boot.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I have a DPMS GII Recon II and it loves trail boss and 168grn HP Bullets as Subsonics out to 300yards so far so quiet. It does not however cycle which is to be expected. It shoots 6inches lower then my full power loads at 100. I'm also using Trail Boss.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    I load it in .30-06. My kids shoot our Model of 1917 at 100 yard plates. Hit almost every time. No recoil. Use regular 147 or 150 grain bullets. Also in .303 Brit. Make shooting the Enfield a joy.

lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    I made subsonic 308 with it. It is basically full and believe it was 14 grains. I made it full and reduced it until in went sub with 150 grain bullets. It is a hoot to shoot in my bolt action

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    Fellas - I have a question about Trail Boss or VV N32C. Has anyone tried them in a black powder revolver? I realize I am treading on dangerous ground. Perhaps they would be a cleaner burning substitute for black powder or pyrodex?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Fellas - I have a question about Trail Boss or VV N32C. Has anyone tried them in a black powder revolver? I realize I am treading on dangerous ground. Perhaps they would be a cleaner burning substitute for black powder or pyrodex?

I would use BH209 in a BP revolver before trailboss

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

Like replace black powder loading cap and ball with any smokeless powder? Like the other guys said, no and don’t do that. For a host of reason but just don’t. Even TrailBoss....

Pretty sure AGC has an exploded black powder revolver on the wall that someone loaded with smokeless.

I like trail boss for light/mild .45 Colt loads and it’s fluffy enough that you can basically fill a case short of compression and not double charge.

Now if your talking a conversion cylinder, probably, but I’ve not done it or researched it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom