• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just whacked two does on my way to my evening set. Didn't even make it to my tree!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    0bf92286216a98d3b2f229afac427eb2.jpg

This 8pt ran by me this morning. Looks pretty young to me, debating whether id take him. I havent taken a buck in 15 years, but I know he could be a beast one day. Its really hard to practice quality management when you only own 8 acres and only two of the neighbors on about 55 try as well. We have grown a few monsters though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    0bf92286216a98d3b2f229afac427eb2.jpg

This 8pt ran by me this morning. Looks pretty young to me, debating whether id take him. I havent taken a buck in 15 years, but I know he could be a beast one day. Its really hard to practice quality management when you only own 8 acres and only two of the neighbors on about 55 try as well. We have grown a few monsters though.

That guy looks only to be 1 1/2 years old. Of so, he shows great potential.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    That guy looks only to be 1 1/2 years old. Of so, he shows great potential.
    Thats my thought, hes just got to make it. There were at minimum 6 others hunting within a mile of me this am. Pretty sure 2 would also pass, but dong know bout the rest.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Shot a pretty decent 9 Point with my .444 Marlin right before dark tonight. He didn't get very far. Why track blood trails when you can just punch a fist sized hole through their chest?

Got a little too dark to get nice pictures, so I'll try and get some up tomorrow morning

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Not today??

Nothing! But LOTS of shooting.

I sh!t you not, I tried standing up once to stretch and before my a$$ was off the seat, a LOUD shot rang out within seventy five yards of me. Scared the hell out of me. I hate to think of folks randomly shooting at UBOs, but I didn't move for forty five minutes. And when I did, I ran behind a big ole tree and skeedaddled.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Shot a pretty decent 9 Point with my .444 Marlin right before dark tonight. He didn't get very far. Why track blood trails when you can just punch a fist sized hole through their chest?

Got a little too dark to get nice pictures, so I'll try and get some up tomorrow morning

I drove past your place today and wondered how you did. This thread is incomplete without a golf course deer photo :thumbsup:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I've come up short the last few years so I won't be letting anything walk any time soon. Saw a four point with a nice sized body about 7 or so. He stayed pretty hidden at about my 7 o'clock as he didn't like something he sensed. He stood motionless for about 5 minutes and then started a slow walk straight. I had a good shot at about my 9 o'clock but he didn't stop so I passed and kept watching him. I thought he was going to stay 1/4 way up the hill and walk down to my corn pile and camera at about my 11 o'clock but he started going up and over the hill. I put the sites on him and pulled the trigger at 7:18, shooting through some small brush as it was either then or never. He trotted away with his tail straight up and I figured it was a miss. At about 9 I got out of the stand and didn't find any blood where I shot at him but found a bunch about 75 yards away where I watched him walk. We tracked blood for about 150-200 yards into the neighbor's property and then lost the trail. It went from puddles of bright red blood to drops to absolutely nothing. We spent two hours looking and couldn't find him anywhere. We went 100 yards in each direction from the last sign of blood and found nothing. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have taken the shot. I'm not a "spray and pray" hunter so I'm pretty disappointed.

Depending on the blood trail...its prob not far from the last blood spot. Sometimes they do run further than you think. Could you judge the direction it possibly went?

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    Hunted private property in Parkton as an invited guest. Did not see or hear one single deer in an area that is usually over run with the critters. What I did see and hear was at least 4, probably 6 uninvited hunters milling around on the property - Apparently locals that seem to consider the property eminent domain. Personally I am not overly concerned with additional hunters as 1)the property can handle the traffic but don't these guys know how to get out there early, sit still and STFU? And 2)I appreciate that I was invited as a guest on property where the owner does not hunt. Getting annoyed as I write this so... that is all.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Took my grand son out.We saw a total of 12 deer this morning but all were running or too far for a shot.We saw nothing this eve.Even tho he didnt get a shot he had a great time and cant wait to get out again.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    Congrats to all the guys that got a deer today.
    I missed a pretty good 8 point about 15 minutes before dark. !50 yard shot downhill with my ML.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Took my grand son out.We saw a total of 12 deer this morning but all were running or too far for a shot.We saw nothing this eve.Even tho he didnt get a shot he had a great time and cant wait to get out again.

Good for you guys. That's why it's called hunting and not shopping. No guarantees. Keep hunting! :)

Didn't get out last year. Made sure that didn't happen this year. Sat in the stand for several hours, didn't see a damn thing. Stop at a neighbor's to talk and he goes "you want a buck? It's in my yard."...........hours in the cold stand and nothing, but spitting distance from neighbor's house is an 8 point. Lol. Second buck of my life, first was also an 8 but a significantly wider rack.

Interesting thing, if you look closely it has a messed up right eye. It was bulging out and had scarring. Old injury of some kind, surprised me when I walked up to it.

e2394a50c29018bd1485b8151b401acf.jpg

4ef596faf7ff8a1a286e1317dd1ed3ad.jpg

dfa77e0ae52a987d342729eb0f047bef.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom