• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Because... Murica! :party29:

I wish I could say it was because the antis have made them out to be such evil instruments of destruction and they want to ban them, that I had to have one. But the truth is that I stopped in 2A one day looking for a trunk gun. Tom put an AR in my hands and taught me about it (I was and am a complete beginner), and the darn thing followed me home. It's such a terrific combination of accuracy and ergonomics, combined with .300 blackout subsonic sweetness, that it's my favorite toy. After Chad waved his magic wand over it and performed his reliability package, I can't imagine a more fun, accurate or dependable rifle. :thumbsup:

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    The AR-15 is the quintessential American rifle. It is the modern musket. Just like the AK is the national rifle of Russia.

The AR-15 is light, easy to shoot, easy to modify to suit, quite reliable and infinitely adaptable to different needs and desires. There is no either firearm like it and being the Lego kit of the gun world has made it the mos popular firearm in America.

Even if you're going to argue the 2nd Amendment applies to the militia, the AR-15 would be the proper militia rifle. If there is any firearm that deserves Constitutional protection, it is the firearm most compatible with the US military logistics train and training requirements. Battlesight zero on a military pattern AR is a battlesight zero.

If you're going to call up the militia and make them well-regulated, this is the arm you're going to expect them to show up with.

I own one or two. I do because my birth country, Canada, declares them forbidden. When I became able to own one, I did. Forbidden fruit and all that. I like to customize my rifles and they are always popular at the range.

An AR is always on my SHTF list of guns to grab. I keep kit available to feed one in a grab-and-go situation. There isn't a single person in the USA that won't recognize one and desire to be someone else if it was aimed in anger.

It's a design approaching 60 years old. It's a classic firearm and the teething troubles have long since been worked out. My possession of it pisses off people that would declare them to know how to live my life better than I do and that is reason enough for me to have one. I don't have to justify my ownership of any legal product to anyone.

Besides, they're just too much fun!

Matt

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    View attachment 182618
    Here's mine.
    Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 11.02.26 PM.jpg
    The AR-15 is one of the best and most popular choices for a rifle. It is ergonomic, adaptable, reliable, and accurate. It can be chambered in anything from .22LR all the way up to 50BMG(BOHICA). It can be built in any form, from a compact pistol, up to a 24" bull-barrel long range precision rig. With the plentiful number and type of parts to choose from, any person of any body type can find or make an AR to fit them and their specific need.

They're perfect for: Home defense, homeland defense, hunting, long range target shooting, competition(3-gun for example), collecting, investing(especially before a potential hillary presidency), and introducing new shooters to guns. In the standard 5.56 16" barrel form, the AR has very little recoil, good magazine capacity, and adequate power for defense or hunting.

...basically the AR-15 is currently the best tool for many different jobs. To stop a badguy, the police go to the AR15 whenever they have the luxury of a choice. With the capabilities outlined above, and reduced overpenetration compared to handguns or shotguns, police grab their ARs if they need to confront a bad person. The AR is routinely keeping america safe day in and day out in the hands of law enforcement and the law abiding citizen.

I have mine for the above reasons. It's a valued tool that I use recreationally for target shooting, but that I also trust and depend on for home defense. It's america's rifle and we can be proud to put it up against the rifle of any other country in the world.

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    I have never had any desire to own one. I have other "battle rifles" that suit me just fine. That being said, I am intrigued with the idea of an 80% build, just to do one. So, I expect there may be one in my future...Of course I may move to America, and could then buy one if I chose.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I own one because the Ma-deuce doesn't work as well on a single point sling.

Also my wife wouldn't approve the PO for an M-16.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Had my Core 15 out today at AGC. Shot the center out of a target spot. Sure some landed in the 9, but most were dead center.

I make no bones about it. I own several. Not all I would use to defend myself, but everyone could be used to defend me and my family.

Honestly if the SHTF, I want enough for my two neighbors. More firepower from the flag lot.... :party29:

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I just wanted to be one of the cool kids, so I ended up with a couple. Frankly, I don't shoot them much at all, but it is nice to know they are there should the need ever arise. An insurance policy of sorts.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Friends had them, and I shot them back when AR-15 really meant SP-1 . I shot them, and was kinda meh .And the guys older thsn me who were pre existing gun guys before going into the military all hated on that mattel plastic pos poodle shooter, and really wanted M14s or some other 7.62 platform.

Meanwhile ARs weren't powerful enough to shoot bambi, not accurate enough to shoot groundhogs, and cost $350 up , in an era when real rifles could be had for $100-150 .

But then Bill Clinton decided I shouldn't be able to own one , so of course I had my typical reaction.

I still like real guns with blued steel and walnut, but AR's as they eventually evolved have their own niche.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    What's an AR15? Is it that gun that shoots all the boolits? If so, don't want them. Clips are only good until you shoot all the boolits. The shoulder thing give you caids.

No want.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I always knew I would get one eventually, ever since I was a kid, reading the Midway or Brownell's catalog. It was only a matter of time.

After taking the Armorer class and then a build class, my eyes have been opened dramatically.

With everything I have learned from Chad and everybody else on here, I have found that I have a gift in building AR's, or at least that is what my friends tell me when I build their AR's. For me, it is not a firearm, it is one of those plastic models from when I was a kid, that has changed from plastic to metal. It is a puzzle and a functional model, that actually moves.

I used to care about the modular nature of the AR, but all of that came to a screeching halt in 2014, after the completion of a precision rig. Now it has become more of how light can I legally make it, yet still be able to maintain a relatively high degree of accuracy. Read that as MOA or sub-MOA. I have succeeded in that quest with multiple uppers in different calibers, that I have built. I've assembled 556 budget builds that are sub-MOA with good ammo. On top of that, I have assembled a 300BLK upper that for reasons we won't get in to, but I know what I did wrong, was parking 2 shots on top of each other out of a 3 shot string, creating a perfect figure 8 at 100 yards. That flier was always 1" away from the first 2 impacts and I know what I was doing wrong.

My personal Bambi Slayer is capable of 3/4" groups at 100 yards with hunting ammo. My dad would tease me about what quadrant of the heart to hit on the deer. He stopped teasing me about it when I let him hold my 300BLK. His eyes grew to the size of dinner plates when he realized how light it is. He laid a live chicken when I let him dry fire the Geisslle G2S 2 stage 4# total pull weight. It was at that moment that my dad realized that I knew my stuff.

If it wasn't for all of the members on here that gave me advice, whether I asked for it, or just read what they said to somebody else, I say thank you. There is one person that shared their knowledge and has always been there for all of us, and has helped me tremendously in my quest to be able to follow a dream. I have to publicly thank our resident GS, Chad for what he has done for the community, but most of all what he has done for me.

There are other members that have made certain opportunities possible for me and even though I am not going to ask who you are, just know that I appreciate what you did for me, for without you, I would not be on the path that I am. Chad knows who they are, and I hope that those people read or get my thanks.

With that, I'm out and going to go back to my usual thing.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I enjoy the one I own but never felt compelled to gather up a bunch of them. Found it easy to get a good score but it took a while to get used to single load from prone, however it works good for me but 30 cal holes are easier to find in my spotting scope with my kit. I do like the sips of powder it takes and enjoy loading for it though. Never considered it for home defense I prefer other tools for that. I have a hard time swallowing this regulated thing and all the BS that surrounds it because everyone should own and know how to field one.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Because.......

......this doesn't work....and the Second Amendment does.

Attachments

• Brits.jpg
      Brits.jpg
      64.2 KB · Views: 342

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am neither for nor against owning one. I have friends who have them, I've shot them. meh. I feel like its the Chevy Impala of guns. Functional, gets the job done, lots of aftermarket accessories, but take away the "Uncle Sam says no" factor I feel the same towards it as I do my Craftsman chain saw. I would not advise someone to get one, or not. I'd tell them to rent a few types and try before they buy. There are tons of options. The great thing about 'murica is you get to have a choice.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The only reason to own one is that you don't own more than one.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Made in America!
    A symbol of freedom!
    Familiarization with the AR15 is a huge advantage in cost savings and reducing the amount of training necessary when entering military service in order to defend our nation!
    Easily customized for almost any use you can think of.
    Can be extremely accurate.
    Low recoil.
    Easy to maintain.
    Pisses off liberals!
    "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand. It's an AR thing."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads