• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The way I see it:

1) UPS screwed up and redirected the box to the wrong place.
    2) The restaurant opened the box (honest mistake)
    3) The restaurant panics and calls the Sheriff's dept.( I'm willing to blame this on pure ignorance rather than malice and give them the benefit of the doubt)
    4) The responding deputies confiscated the uppers out of ignorance (no excuse there, they should know better)
    5) The Sheriff was notified of the situation and made it right. ( I hope he plans to educate his deputies so nobody else's rights are stomped on unnecessarily.)

This... :thumbsup:

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Right, that's why I put "guns" in quotes. Some people see uppers and think they're guns, even some police officers. Suppose the box contained auto sears or suppressors? I don't blame the officers for taking a precaution until they had things sorted out.

If the package had the restaurant's name on it but the wrong street address, I'd say its fair game to open it.

Whats there to sort out?

While the sherrif's actions are far from the WORST we could have expected in "Cuba on the Chesapeake" they were far from the CORRECT actions.

What the Sherrif SHOULD have done was to recognize that there was nothing less than legal here.

But they didn't.....instead they held onto the uppers under the guise of "figuring whats going on"

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I don't believe I have EVER seen so many pairs of bunched up panties on this forum before. LOL

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    OK guys, I feel like this has gotten way out of hand now. Everyone makes mistakes. If I of all people, the individual that this all happened to, can look past it and realize that we're all human and we all make mistakes, you guys should to. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand where the emotions are coming from. I for one was full of them pretty much all day yesterday. Like I said before, our community has been beat hard and put through the ringer. After what happened to us here in Maryland with sb281 we're that much more understandably upset and we have every right to be. Any suspected infringement of our rights should be fully analyzed for what it actually is and the proper offensive or defensive actions should then be taken.

With that being said, let’s analyze the situation from beginning to end.

The restaurant received one of perhaps many packages a day with their business name on the box. I’m looking at it right now and it literally has a sticker that says:

SHIP TO: D.B. MCMILLINAS
    (MY NAME) (MY PHONE NUMBER)
    (D.B. MCMILLINAS ADDRESS

I think we can all see how a DB employee along with anyone of you, me included, could honestly mistake this as package intended for DB’s as a business. Was my name on the package? Sure it was, but so was theirs. I am not the least bit upset with DB’s for opening the package. No devious intentions were at play here. They were simply opening a package that they thought was theirs. END OF STORY.

Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Why do people keep bringing up 4th amendment right violations? If the package was labelled to the restaurant, then an employer opens the package and finds rifle parts, and report it to the police, there is no violation of the 4th amendment because the police did not open the package.

MOST of you jump to conclusions way too quickly without having all the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    Here’s were you’re really going to have to start thinking outside of the box. Maybe the employee was just a little bit freaked out and was erring on the side of caution. If you weren’t firearms enthusiasts you would have no idea that a Desert Tan AR15 upper wasn’t regulated. Let’s be real, they look like weapons. You seriously cannot blame a young woman for not knowing what to do in this situation and wanting to cover her tracks. You also can’t blame her for notifying the authorities. We are supposed to feel comfortable contacting the LE anytime a legal matter is presented or in question.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    OK guys, I feel like this has gotten way out of hand now. Everyone makes mistakes. If I of all people, the individual that this all happened to, can look past it and realize that we're all human and we all make mistakes, you guys should to. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand where the emotions are coming from. I for one was full of them pretty much all day yesterday. Like I said before, our community has been beat hard and put through the ringer. After what happened to us here in Maryland with sb281 we're that much more understandably upset and we have every right to be. Any suspected infringement of our rights should be fully analyzed for what it actually is and the proper offensive or defensive actions should then be taken.

With that being said, let’s analyze the situation from beginning to end.

The restaurant received one of perhaps many packages a day with their business name on the box. I’m looking at it right now and it literally has a sticker that says:

(D.B. MCMILLINAS ADDRESS

I think we can all see how a DB employee along with anyone of you, me included, could honestly mistake this as package intended for DB’s as a business. Was my name on the package? Sure it was, but so was theirs. I am not the least bit upset with DB’s for opening the package. No devious intentions were at play here. They were simply opening a package that they thought was theirs. END OF STORY.

I think if people read the thread before posting, they would stop posting the same things over and over.

Here’s were you’re really going to have to start thinking outside of the box. Maybe the employee was just a little bit freaked out and was erring on the side of caution. If you weren’t firearms enthusiasts you would have no idea that a Desert Tan AR15 upper wasn’t regulated. Let’s be real, they look like weapons. You seriously cannot blame a young woman for not knowing what to do in this situation and wanting to cover her tracks. You also can’t blame her for notifying the authorities. We are supposed to feel comfortable contacting the LE anytime a legal matter is presented or in question.

I am with you on this. Take the average person opening a box that was delivered under these circumstances and seeing a large qty. of "weapons" in this day and age, you pretty much call the police (or keep them;))

The only problems I have with the whole thread are
    1) Solomons Commune lied
    2) People are going to be afraid to post anything like this anymore.

You handled the situation very well and I am glad it all worked out.

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    Now one thing that was complete ******** was the LE wanting to hold onto my belonging until Monday so they could pry for something incriminating. The LE’s at the scene and I all agreed that I did nothing wrong, that the items belonged to me, that the uppers were not regulated and that this was just a simple mishap on UPS’s account. I didn’t understand why I couldn’t have my belongings back and felt violated. That was my primary reason for posting here on the thread. I was simply looking for advice. Maybe I should have contacted a lawyer instead, I don’t know. I’ve never been in a potentially legal fiasco before. I was scared as shit and didn’t know what to do.
    Regardless of what happened at first the Sheriff ended up taking care of me after a quick phone call. He completely agreed with me and fixed things quickly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm basing this upon what I read from Norton's post...
    Solomonscommune informed the restaurant owner that he/she was being bashed on MDS. The owner joined MDS.
    Why is everyone bashing Solomonscommune? If this happened to a business owner I know, I would have done the same thing.
    I do not see anything wrong with what he did and I agree with his actions.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Takeway #2 - Have shipments of potentially scary looking things held at UPS Terminal ( not independent storefront ) , for signature of adressee only.

This!

Also, I don't blame the OP for posting here immediately. Isn't that what early warning needs?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm basing this upon what I read from Norton's post...
    Solomonscommune informed the restaurant owner that he/she was being bashed on MDS. The owner joined MDS.
    Why is everyone bashing Solomonscommune? If this happened to a business owner I know, I would have done the same thing.
    I do not see anything wrong with what he did and I agree with his actions.

Then man up and say I informed the business owner and you all can address him directly.

Not hide and say oh I was just a customer 6-7 months ago and don't know the guy at all.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    It was addressed to them.

Not really:

(D.B. MCMILLINAS ADDRESS

And this was on a replacement label, not the regular UPS label. Why not call the intended addressee phone number? I wonder if signature required would have prevented this. My bet is the employee would have signed for it. I guess it ended well. As for posting here, one of the first recommendations was to call the sheriff and that seemed to be the solution.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    Not really:

(D.B. MCMILLINAS ADDRESS

And this was on a replacement label, not the regular UPS label. Why not call the intended addressee phone number? I wonder if signature required would have prevented this. My bet is the employee would have signed for it. I guess it ended well. As for posting here, one of the first recommendations was to call the sheriff and that seemed to be the solution.

By them I meant the restaurant.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Since we're all putting our thoughts out here on this, I'll add mine:

The biggest screw up goes to UPS and that is the company that deserves the majority of the blame. UPS needs to get smacked a little bit for this.

I hold no blame on the restaurant. Whereas I would not have called the cops I can see where an uneducated person would. Think of this as an opportunity to educate.

Now I have huge heartburn with the St. Mary's LEO. If no law was broken why was property confiscated? Is it common place for cops to take property in the off chance that they can find a law that was violated? For a law the received so much attention and has and will cause so much controversy, it is disappointing that the St. Mary's LEOs have not been properly trained. It also is disappointing that the elected sheriffs' speeches last year amount to little more than verbal diarrhea since obviously they have not handed down their same ideology to their deputies.

And SolomonsCommune, I've got no problem with you notifying the restaurant however you should have manned up and admitted what you did instead of trying to lie about it. I don't like liars.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Why do people keep bringing up 4th amendment right violations? If the package was labelled to the restaurant, then an employer opens the package and finds rifle parts, and report it to the police, there is no violation of the 4th amendment because the police did not open the package.

MOST of you jump to conclusions way too quickly without having all the facts.

Because the 4th Amendment prohibits unreasonable searches and SEIZURES.

May 13, 2005
    Sorry to hear about your circumstances, and I'm glad it all worked out.

The LEOs and Sheriff Cameron in St Mary's are top notch in their professional conduct and person interactions I've ever had with them. And almost every deputy I've dealt with is very pro Constituion/2A. Be happy we have them instead of a JBT Gestapo force like many other areas of MD.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Sorry to hear about your circumstances, and I'm glad it all worked out.

The LEOs and Sheriff Cameron in St Mary's are top notch in their professional conduct and person interactions I've ever had with them. And almost every deputy I've dealt with is very pro Constituion/2A. Be happy we have them instead of a JBT Gestapo force like many other areas of MD.
    No shit! Be glad this was in St. Mary's, as I can only imagine the fun times if this happened in Howard or Montgomery county, or worse, Baltimore City.

I know a few St. Mary's deputies and they are great guys. (Members of this forum too.)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Because the 4th Amendment prohibits unreasonable searches and SEIZURES.

The police didn't open the package so no unreasonable search.

The police did not seize anything from the OP, so no unreasonable seizure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom