• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I don't know much on the polymer guns or the quirks and couldn't come up in search with the right answer. If I put in a mag with atleast 1 round or more with even a little force, not driving it home but some, the slide with close. The round has never jammed or failed to load, but it will close on its own 100% of the time now. I thought i had an issue with the slide not staying open on last round to but that issue was my thumb. The firearm only has about 4000 rounds through it and has done it sense new. Only difference is it used to be 50% of the time and now its all the time. Is this normal on poly guns or do i have an issue that will only get worse?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I don't know much on the polymer guns or the quirks and couldn't come up in search with the right answer. If I put in a mag with atleast 1 round or more with even a little force, not driving it home but some, the slide with close. The round has never jammed or failed to load, but it will close on its own 100% of the time now. I thought i had an issue with the slide not staying open on last round to but that issue was my thumb. The firearm only has about 4000 rounds through it and has done it sense new. Only difference is it used to be 50% of the time and now its all the time. Is this normal on poly guns or do i have an issue that will only get worse?

I have a few guns that do this. It's not anything I'm concerned with. My M&P won't do it but all of my GLOCKs will when I seat the magazine with authority. I have talked to others who have guns that do the same thing and our general consensus is not to worry about it.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    This is a common issue with the M&P Pro, from what I have read and experienced. My Pro does this reliably when inserting a new magazine. As it is only a gaming gun for me, I don't worry about it, and secretly I appreciate the extra 1/2 second it saves me on reloads. There is nothing wrong with the gun, and you won't hurt anything by using this "feature". I spoke directly with S&W rep on phone about this, after first noticing it, and that was the answer I got from him.
    HTH,
    Danny

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    It is normal, but I wouldn't count on it always happening as part of your reload.

Mine will do it maybe 9 times out of 10.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    This is a common issue with the M&P Pro, from what I have read and experienced. My Pro does this reliably when inserting a new magazine. As it is only a gaming gun for me, I don't worry about it, and secretly I appreciate the extra 1/2 second it saves me on reloads. There is nothing wrong with the gun, and you won't hurt anything by using this "feature". I spoke directly with S&W rep on phone about this, after first noticing it, and that was the answer I got from him.
    HTH,
    Danny

I going to assume that your M&P Pro is the long slide (5") version. Not sure if i would call it a feature as its not built into the gun, but its nice that it does it. If the S&W rep says its normal though, I am not going to worry about it.

jaredm1: this last two times at the range, i shot 1500 rounds and this "feature" as people put it happens without fail 100% of the time. That's why I posted, thinking the firearm was getting loose and something was going to brake. I don't like as I know i will get used to it, but if some people are using in "gaming" then i can work with it:).

OH, and for anyone who somehow searches this thread, this is the link to the video mentioned above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4uyFOZY3bg&feature=channel_video_title

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD
    Both my Glocks and my M&P Pro do this ~99% of the time. My stainless steel 1911 does it frequently as well.

Unless the slide is not picking up the round, don't worry.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    My Ruger P89 does it as well. While shooting yesterday it happened 90% of the time, which as stated, saved me some time on the clock. I was actually disappointed when it didn't.;)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    depends on the angle you smack the base of the grip when seating it a little. You can actually induce this in other guns by smacking forward a little. Basically if you hit slightly forward or slightly back(and not straight upwards) when seating the mag, you release enough pressure off of the slide-stop for it to fall(now that the follower isn't pushin up against it anymore) and the slide will fall forward. Basically when you hit the grip, the slide(being a separate piece) moves independently and will back up enough to allow the catch to fall. Remember, the slide stop has spring tension pushing it down. All it needs to fall is for the slide to move just enough backwards for the slide stop to lose it's friction hold and slip down. When an empty magazine is in the gun, the follower pushes up against the slide stop, holding it in place. When inserting a loaded mag or even hitting it hard withough a mag at all, there is spring pressure pulling the stop down and none pushing up. Try hitting up and forward with no magazine involved at all while the slide it locked back and i bet you can replicate what's happening on your reloads.

As long as you keep the muzzle in a safe direction, it's nothin to worry about and will just save you time n reloads. My p99 does this if i concentrate on hitting the base in the correct direction..otherwise i have that extra time pushing down the slide stop or racking the slide(quicker to just push down the large slide release lever on the p99 with strong-side thumb).

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    When i shot IDPA a couple weeks ago my M&P 45 did this a couple times and definitely surprised me. I talked to a Lady there who is on the S&W shooting team and she told me it was normal. Actually could be a good thing in the shooting comps if you get used to it and get it to work regularly.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    When i shot IDPA a couple weeks ago my M&P 45 did this a couple times and definitely surprised me. I talked to a Lady there who is on the S&W shooting team and she told me it was normal. Actually could be a good thing in the shooting comps if you get used to it and get it to work regularly.

Definitely a good thing in comp.+ if it was 100%.

Was the Lady from S&W Dr. L.?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    depends on the angle you smack the base of the grip when seating it a little...

Great post. I'm going to have to experiment with this.

My M&P Full Size usually does this, which is just dandy by me. I just wonder about those occassional times it doesn't. That's what slows down my reloads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom