• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I made it into the rotation for Saturday IDPA at AAF&G. this will be the first time in any kind of competition.

I"m a little hesitant to tell the truth. I'm going to be practicing drawing this week so any hints would be appreciated. I do have a serpa holster so i need to get the retention release down.

I have the pistol, holster, 2 mag holders, 3 mags and ammo, but i don't have any kind of concealment vest. Any suggestion as to one i can get locally? I just thought of a possibility, would a BDU/ACU shirt work?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Rick,

Anything that covers your holster and magazines is just fine. Shirts work just fine. As do jackets, sweatshirts, etc...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    A trench coat works for a cover garment. The test is to put the cover garment on while you have your gun holstered. Lift your arms 90 degrees up, so they are parallel to the floor. Can you see the gun? If not, you're good.

Jim

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Seriously?
    A trench coat?
    Rick I think he's kidding. If not don't listen to him.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I wouldn't use a trench coat unless i'm riding in on a horse or doing defensive shotgun shooting (concealed).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Seriously?
    A trench coat?
    Rick I think he's kidding. If not don't listen to him.

Hey, it was cold in that range! :lol2: Seriously, I used one once, it worked, and everyone has one. I, of course, was the only shooter who wasn't using a photographers vest. I don't have speed loader holsters, so the pockets held the speed loaders well and I could get them out easily.

Jim

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Problem with a trench coat or most any other silly thing like that is the amount of material you are dealing with. Just sitting down you will be sitting on the bottom of the coat thus restricting your arm movement. There's just so much more of it to get in the way of everything and caught on stuff. If I were going to handicap myself like that I'd just use a Snuggie. At least then I'd be warm while I looked like a retard.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Problem with a trench coat or most any other silly thing like that is the amount of material you are dealing with. Just sitting down you will be sitting on the bottom of the coat thus restricting your arm movement. There's just so much more of it to get in the way of everything and caught on stuff. If I were going to handicap myself like that I'd just use a Snuggie. At least then I'd be warm while I looked like a retard.

:lol: Thanks! I take it you have a "shoot me first" vest?

Jim

ShiNNinG

Jul 14, 2008
    White Marsh
    I made it into the rotation for Saturday IDPA at AAF&G. this will be the first time in any kind of competition.

I"m a little hesitant to tell the truth. I'm going to be practicing drawing this week so any hints would be appreciated. I do have a serpa holster so i need to get the retention release down.

I have the pistol, holster, 2 mag holders, 3 mags and ammo, but i don't have any kind of concealment vest. Any suggestion as to one i can get locally? I just thought of a possibility, would a BDU/ACU shirt work?

How do you make it into "the rotation"? I have been emailing the guy over there to get on the mailing list and a schedule but he has been unresponsive. Anyone else I can contact?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just tell them you're the new guy and they'll let you go last so you can see what everyone else does. no need to be nervous, just treat it (and the next bunch of matches) as a learning experience. it's fun and cool to go super fast, but start slow til you know you're making solid hits, then speed it up from there. pick small "targets" around the house, make double sure you're empty, and go around pulling from holster and getting your sights on them and pulling the trigger. practice reloads with empty magazines (you will do two types - dumping your old empty mag on the floor and using a new one; also keeping your old mag and using a new one). go to the idpa website and read thru the rules.

definitely make sure you're finger is off the trigger while drawing, moving and reloading and definitely make sure you always have the gun pointed downrange even if running from right to left.

when you're shooting from behind "cover," make sure you shoot the targets as they come into view. so if you're peeking from behind the right side of a barrel and see three targets, you should shoot the right most target first, then the middle and then the left. this doesn't always get spelled out at the matches but you sure will lose points if you don't do this.

you will definitely get some weak hand and one hand stages, so practice those.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    AAFGIDPA

How do you make it into "the rotation"? I have been emailing the guy over there to get on the mailing list and a schedule but he has been unresponsive. Anyone else I can contact?

Have you joined the AAFGIDPA yahoo group. When you do that you get the email when they open the registration for the next match. When you get that email you respond with the information they request and they fill the slots.

This link has the info http://www.aafgidpa.com/admin/match_admin.html

This link is to the yahoo group page:
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/AAFGIDPA/

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    just tell them you're the new guy and they'll let you go last so you can see what everyone else does. no need to be nervous, just treat it (and the next bunch of matches) as a learning experience. it's fun and cool to go super fast, but start slow til you know you're making solid hits, then speed it up from there. pick small "targets" around the house, make double sure you're empty, and go around pulling from holster and getting your sights on them and pulling the trigger. practice reloads with empty magazines (you will do two types - dumping your old empty mag on the floor and using a new one; also keeping your old mag and using a new one). go to the idpa website and read thru the rules.

definitely make sure you're finger is off the trigger while drawing, moving and reloading and definitely make sure you always have the gun pointed downrange even if running from right to left.

when you're shooting from behind "cover," make sure you shoot the targets as they come into view. so if you're peeking from behind the right side of a barrel and see three targets, you should shoot the right most target first, then the middle and then the left. this doesn't always get spelled out at the matches but you sure will lose points if you don't do this.

you will definitely get some weak hand and one hand stages, so practice those.

Yeah i told my wife i was going to be practicing my draw this week. I have snap caps and was thinking to practice the draw to first trigger pull. Maybe i should do Draw; target; trigger; reload; cycle; trigger; holster.

I've already been contacted by another MDS member who will be shooting and the SO for one stage and he has offered to shepherd me.

Weak hand, you draw and transfer hands to shoot, wow hadn't noticed that in anything i read.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I'll be there and working one stage as well.
    We met at the AACO meet and greet so I remember you and will make sure you're good to go.
    You would do better practicing your reload than your draw.
    Hold your pistol out lined up on a target but with the slide locked open.
    Now drop the magazine, reload, and get back on target to dry fire again.
    Lock the slide open and repeat.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Hey Rick, I get nervous every time and I hate it...there's no need and I still can't shake it. Once I get there I'm find.

First time being nervous makes sense, but it's still unnecessary. They won't let you do anything stupid. You know safety is paramount, you know how to follow directions, you know how to shoot a gun, so plan to learn and have fun.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Even if your not warm, there IS that retard look about you. You wear it well. :lol2:
    Anyone who missed out can come down to Sanners this Saturday. No "quotas". Register at 0900 shoot at 1000 on a squad. Usually done by 1300/1400.

ShiNNinG

Jul 14, 2008
    White Marsh
    Have you joined the AAFGIDPA yahoo group. When you do that you get the email when they open the registration for the next match. When you get that email you respond with the information they request and they fill the slots.

This link has the info http://www.aafgidpa.com/admin/match_admin.html

This link is to the yahoo group page:
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/AAFGIDPA/

Thanks, but I signed up for the group at least a month ago and have sent emails to the moderator. I just logged in and got

"(!) Your membership is awaiting approval by the group owner "

I did use my google account to signup-. I guess I will try my Yahoo account instead.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Even if your not warm, there IS that retard look about you. You wear it well. :lol2:
    Anyone who missed out can come down to Sanners this Saturday. No "quotas". Register at 0900 shoot at 1000 on a squad. Usually done by 1300/1400.

And you wonder why people don't like you...

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD

You've gotten a lot of good advice but I'll pile on anyway... :D

1. Cover garment - shirts are fine, and I'd say don't spend money until you've tried the game. People call photo-vests as shoot-me-first vests. Sure if you wear one while armed but when you are shooting IDPA its a game, not real defensive training. They are handy while playing the game.

2. Draw practice - if you are using a Serpa please do practice. I've seen a lot of Serpa users practically pull their belts off! :D Then they get flustered and rushed and sometimes do things they shouldn't do.

3. For you first time concentrate on being safe then worry about accuracy and lastly speed. During each stage walk thru you'll be told how to shoot the stage. If you have any, ask questions to be sure you know what to do.

I'll be there Sat, shooting an M&P so if you have any Q's or if there is anything I can do to help just ask for me.

See ya there,

Rob Tompkins

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom