Revolver caliber .45 ACP for the Range and maybe IDAP/USPSA ??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giogolf

Jan 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Hey All,

I want to get another Revolver... I currently have a S&W Mod 10 which was my first handgun and is very dear to me so I don’t shoot it too much. Plus am not crazy about 38SP and don’t want to reload it as I dont see myself getting more 38/357 Revolvers.

I want to get a revolver for rangeand maybe IDPA or USPSA use. I am thinking about the S&W 625 in 45ACP..

Since a 45ACP 1911 will be in my future and I reload I was thinking for caliber consistency I would give the 625 a shot...

Any concerns or things I should know about .45 in a revolver?

Is the 625 and 625JM the only range worth 45ACP revolvers?

Thanks

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The 625 seems to be the games revolver of choice.

I've read a lot of places that the extra price of the JM isn't worth it, but if it were me, that would be the one that I would get. The performance center 625 looks nice, too (hogue grips, not the pimp grips.)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just remember, they're in a different division versus speed loader revolvers. I thought about doing this with a 4" 610, since .40 is cheaper than 45 ACP or 10mm ammo.

Jim

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    I shoot USPSA with a 625 and a 610. Go with a 5 inch barrel, have the cylinder chamfered for reloads and a trigger job. Drop me a line sometime and I'll show you what I use. You will need a "North Mountain" moon clip holder and holster. Its alot of fun!!

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I shoot USPSA with a 625 and a 610. Go with a 5 inch barrel, have the cylinder chamfered for reloads and a trigger job. Drop me a line sometime and I'll show you what I use. You will need a "North Mountain" moon clip holder and holster. Its alot of fun!!

Good for USPSA but you may NOT use a 5 inch barrel in IDPA anymore.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Do you have to have double action? A nice convertible blackhawk maybe?

IMG_0984.JPG

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The 4" 625 in one fasion or another is pretty much the most competitive. Action job, chamfered charge holes, and what ever sights, trigger texture/shape and grips you prefer.

Giogolf

Jan 3, 2011
    Harford County

Thanks for the offer.. I dont see any 5" 625's only 4" in the JM and the non JM 625.

Giogolf

Jan 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Holy crap Ruger makes a convertible SA 38/9MM... Isee one in my future... but back to the task at hand I need to locate a 625 and see how she feels.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    The 5 inch has been discontinued for a while. You'll have to look online for one. I get them in every now and then just because I look for them. The 5 inch is preffered for USPSA and I would have to agree the 4 inch would be for IDPA...Gotta pick your sport..That will determine your gun, holster, moon clip holders etc.

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD
    I am thinking uspsa i going to be better for me... 4" barrels are not allowed?

4" legal for both, 5" is USPSA only. I've been told the 4" gun is faster handling. I've not had the pleasure to shot a 625 but that is what I've been told. I haver shot a 4" Glock 22 and I do have a 5" Glock 35 and a 6" Glock 24. I do think the shorter gun is the slightly faster handling gun but the longer gun does reduce muzzle flip a bit and gives a longer sight radius. There is a detectable difference in 1" of barrel but its not huge.

If it's USPSA ONLY and you really want to minimize muzzle flip and recoil, consider the 5" gun but if you even thing IDPA might be on the card, get the 4" gun.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    4 inch N frame is faster handling. They point like an extension of your hand and don't tend to over-swing targets like the longer barreled ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom