• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Ok, I’m considering trying IDPA or IPSC competition. I have read a LOT of stuff, here and on the interwebs. I would appreciate some clarification and specifics from you all. I live in Severn, Md and work so Tuesdays are not an option for me to shoot.

Basic background: I am a 45 yo, overweight smoker that has been shooting most of my life. I started with .22 rifles back when I was 7. Then over the years shot a wide range of calibers and firearms. I have qualified with 9mm ( missed expert by 1 point and made expert w/ M16) in the Air force. I have never shot any kind of organized competition and have not done any draw and fire at all; my club requires a separate qualification for that. I will be looking into that shortly.

Questions:
    Which is easier (if either) to join and/or get started with IDPA or IPSC?

Any expectation that one would be more expensive over time (couple years), taking into consideration my gear listed next:

I have a S&W M&P mid-size 45, would this be a reasonable starting pistol?
    Model: M&P45 Mid Size
    Barrel: 4
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Capacity: 10
    Dimensions (in): 1.2 x 5.5 x 7.5
    Weight: 27.7

If shooting 45acp, what bullet weight would I need to have? I currently shoot 230gr (JHP and FMJ).

Would my Black Hawk Serpa CQC holster be usable? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=111580

Reading the IDPA book I am more confused about the magazine carriers, what is disallowed? How much of the magazine needs to be covered/uncovered?

I read several posts about AAF&G having very limited slots and that they go to SO’s first (so could be little to no “regular” shooter slots left), is this still going to be the case? If it doesn’t look like I could shoot there, I don’t see going to Sanners if it is 2hours each way for me. Have I missed anywhere else to shoot on Saturdays?

Is IPSC more available than IDPA?

I see a lot of results listing 9mm guns is that mostly for control of muzzle rise or is there another reason to use 9mm?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    IDPA is the easiest to get into, as there are fewer equipment requirements versus USPSA/IPSC. Yes, you can use your S&W, but you won't be super competetive. The big thing when you are first starting out is shoot slow. You are not Brian Enos. Shoot the match, then see how you did. After my first match, I talked to the SO and he said I was doing very well considering I was using a double-action revolver. Gun, magazines, holster, and concealment garment will get you started. Ask around, you'll learn how things work and what you need to get better. And have fun with it!

Jim

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I shoot USPSA in York PA. Exit 10 off I-83. Look here http://www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com/
    for info about the club, the matches and what-not. Howard is the Match Director and he has videos linked at the site. He does require new shooters to go through a little "Qualification" if you call it.

Your gun and holster will put you in "Production" 10 round mag limit with one in the chamber at the buzzer.

Watch the videos and check out the USPSA links. If that is what you are after give Howard an email. He will probably ask you to come up and watch a match to see first hand, and then there is some rule book stuff, range commands and what-not.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    first, just find one and go to it and shoot it, best way to get started is to jump right in. i did range shooting and hunting all my life and just started doing idpa and uspsa last summer, what a blast. i'm just considering the first two years a learning and practice process. trying to not finish last though but other than that i don't get too upset.

your serpa holster will work fine for both idpa and uspsa, other than depressing the switch there is zero drag so pretty quick draws. you can always get something better or different later.

both idpa and uspsa are easy to do. idpa has more rules regarding the specifics of the guns (little to no modifications allowed) and holster (holster and mags must be hidden from view under a jacket or vest, ala concealed carry rules). go to both websites and read the rules, nothing too complex but still they need to be followed.

when you go to your first couple of events, just tell them you're the new guy and they will let you shoot last so that you can see what everyone else is doing. leave people alone when they're loading mags and counting rounds, and right before they're ready to shoot, but other than that, ask plenty of questions. gun safety is paramount at both idpa and uspsa, the normal rules are in place - finger off trigger, muzzle downrange, you can only load and unload in designated places.

i live in northern va so can't help you with where your local matches are. call the indoor ranges near you and ask them if they do ipda. these are the easiest as they have (at least near me) a handful of one hour time slots in the evenings and you're in and out. the uspsa events normally last 3-6 hours on a sat or sun. fyi within a 1-2 hour radius of me there are at least 4 places that host uspsa events on the weekends.

But, these are competitions and to place well you need to play the game. there are categories for 45s but you'll have to check with each and see where your M&P falls (not sure if the categories are just 1911s or if any 45s can enter). So if you are using a heavy hitting 45 in the 45 division, you're not at a disadvantage. But if you're using your 45 in the Production division of uspsa or the stock service pistol in idpa, you're at a disadvantage against folks using light recoiling 9mms as they will be able to do follow up shots quicker.

just a follow up regarding equip (guns, mags, holster, mag pouches, belt) - just go with what you have. almost certain they will let you shoot the match with the wrong stuff, though your score may not count.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    M&P .45 will work well. I used one last year in CDP and it worked well. Your serpa will work but the option I went with is a Pro Competition Kit from Comp Tac for $100.00.
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=128
    That's about the cheapest you can get into the shooting games with decent equipment.
    The bullet weight isn't much of an issue but the power factor is. This will only be an issue if you're loading your own.
    The speed of the bullet times the weight must be greater than 165000 for CDP.
    That means my 230gr bullet must go at least 718fps. I have never heard of factory .45acp ammo not making PF.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Do both.

IDPA requires slightly less equipment ( 2 less mag carriers ).
    USPSA is easier to learn as a beginner.

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD
    Questions:
    Which is easier (if either) to join and/or get started with IDPA or IPSC? Both are easy to join - all on line and have similar dues. IDPA courses tend to be shorter and more prescriptive on how you shoot the course. USPSA tends to have longer courses that you have to figure out.

Any expectation that one would be more expensive over time (couple years), taking into consideration my gear listed next: Hard to say - ammo might be your biggest expense and that will depend on how much you shoot both matches and practice. Depending how much you shoot, saving from going to 9mm from 45 ACP might save you cost of the gun - or not. This assumes USPSA Production vice IDPA. If you went USPSA Open division you'll spend a ton-o-$$$ on gear but USPSA production would only required a couple extra mag pouches - not a big deal.

I have a S&W M&P mid-size 45, would this be a reasonable starting pistol?
    Model: M&P45 Mid Size
    Barrel: 4
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Capacity: 10
    Dimensions (in): 1.2 x 5.5 x 7.5
    Weight: 27.7

Very usable for IDPA CDP and usable in UDPSA Production or IDPA Stock Service Pistol but not going to the the most competitive, even if you download your ammo but still good to start with.

If shooting 45acp, what bullet weight would I need to have? I currently shoot 230gr (JHP and FMJ). What ever you like. FMJ's will be cheaper.

Would my Black Hawk Serpa CQC holster be usable? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=111580 Usable but you're not going to be super competitive. But that can come later.

Reading the IDPA book I am more confused about the magazine carriers, what is disallowed? How much of the magazine needs to be covered/uncovered? Limit of two on your belt and the bullet tip has to be covered.

I read several posts about AAF&G having very limited slots and that they go to SO’s first (so could be little to no “regular” shooter slots left), is this still going to be the case? If it doesn’t look like I could shoot there, I don’t see going to Sanners if it is 2hours each way for me. Have I missed anywhere else to shoot on Saturdays? Get on the AAFGA list and just respond to the announcement. It can be tough in the spring and early summer. Keep trying.

Is IPSC more available than IDPA? USPSA at York might be a bit essayer it get into but you still need to watch the announcements and respond early - that can fill up.

I see a lot of results listing 9mm guns is that mostly for control of muzzle rise or is there another reason to use 9mm? It's all about controllability and cost.

See above...

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    This quote from ActioPistolShooter
    "If you went USPSA Open division you'll spend a ton-o-$$$ on gear but USPSA production would only required a couple extra mag pouches - not a big deal. "
    His Avatar is an OPEN gun, think $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 for a new one. Used I have seen go for $1,500.00, and I mean well used.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Of course if you get the steel framed railed EAA Witness large frame you can go from stock to open major and minor in minutes by swapping a few parts all in the same event.

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD
    This quote from ActioPistolShooter
    "If you went USPSA Open division you'll spend a ton-o-$$$ on gear but USPSA production would only required a couple extra mag pouches - not a big deal. "
    His Avatar is an OPEN gun, think $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 for a new one. Used I have seen go for $1,500.00, and I mean well used.

:innocent0 :D

BTW - I bought it will used.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    It took several months to get a reply from AAFG and then it was tough to get in on a Saturday, (which I never have). You just have to "remind" them and be patient. I found out that Friday's are good for non-RSO's to get in, so I take off some Fridays to participate.

The first IDPA I shot at AAFG was and introductory to IDPA...think it was on a Sunday. Very helpful and I think it was in the spring. Hopefully you will get in on that.

MessedUpMike

Jan 29, 2011
    Fridays at AAFG are fairly easy to get in. They have a yahoo group that posts announcements when matches are held. I've never had a problem getting registered for a match

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    They let you shoot one official match then you have to join the IDPA. They didn't turn me away the second match for being uninformed, so I was damn grateful for that. It's $40 and you get a hat and a quarterly magazine.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I'm on the AAF&G yahoo group so i'll be looking for the match info. I know that the Mar 26 match is a qualifier so i really don't want to do that one as my FIRST.

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    Found this information very useful. I've been thinking of getting into one of these groups also. I've had my pistol for about 2 years and have been to the range maybe 10 times. I'm 57 and dont have much experieince. I live in New Market (just outside Frederick). I have a Springfiled XDM 9mm and the holster that came with it. Just need to order an extra mag or two.

Might see you guys sometime at one of these.

lataer

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom