• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'd grab this because I know it's built right and durable.

Depends on the situation of course but I don't see many circumstances where my family and I would be leaving our home. We've got everything we need here. I've got 5 shooters in my family and a bunch of rednecks around me.

Attachments

• 20180429_134524.jpg
      20180429_134524.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 531

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I'd go for my .308 scout rifle for me. The AR carbine for my wife. A 9mm pistol for both. My son would get a 10/22. Although I could also take the AR DMR instead.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I would grab 2, Beretta CX4 and my Sub 2K that takes Beretta mags, I can shoot both well, my kids can shoot both well, I have lots of mags for them, plus the mags and ammo match the M9, which I also have.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's an interesting question, and it leads me to a couple of conclusions.

The first conclusion is regarding which rifles I have that would be suitable as SHTF bug-out guns.

The second conclusion is regarding rifles I don't have that would be a better choice, along with ammo that I don't have that would benefit me given the guns I do have.

To address the first conclusion I need to keep in mind what I have the most ammo for, and that's .22 LR. I have a few .22 Rifles:

Winchester 310 single shot
    Winchester Model 1890 pump
    Browning SA-22
    Ruger 10/22

For simplicity sake, taking something that holds more ammo but isn't semi-auto might be a good idea, but finding parts for a broken 106 year old Winchester 1890 might be tough. The Browning is a solid little gun, but again, if it breaks, parts could be an issue. With that in mind, the Ruger 10/22 is probably the best bet when it comes to .22 rifles.

On the other hand, a better rifle might be my Winchester Model 94 30-30, but I don't have a lot of ammo for that. I have thousands of rounds of .22 LR, but less than 50 for 30-30. 30-30 is common, but it's not going to be as common as .223, which leads me to my second conclusion - what would be a better bug-out rifle.

The answer to my second conclusion is the ubiquitous AR15, and I do not yet own one, or have any ammo for one.

I need to rectify that.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    SHTF...most people shouldn't bug out unless they have to. Will be much harder once you bug out vs staying put.

I try to buy things that share calibers... .22lr pistol, takedown, bolt gun (all threaded for suppressor) or a few handguns in 9mm (g43 up through G17)+ Sig MPX. So if you HAD to bug out, you could give each family member a different firearm and share ammo platforms.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Realistically it would be whichever mag I have that holds the most amount of ammo. With that in mind probably my AR-15 pistol/rifle with some 60/100 round mags.

Attachments

• 5DAA692D-6312-4C1A-B4C3-7A08CB7EE225.jpg
      5DAA692D-6312-4C1A-B4C3-7A08CB7EE225.jpg
      116.7 KB · Views: 486

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have a family .... so .... all of them. Bugging out isn't something that's actually practical for like 99% of people, unless it's because a disaster of some kind(flood, fire, volcano, hurricane, invading army...etc) will kill you if you stay home. Why would you leave essentially all your assets and shelter otherwise?

For defense/survival you should first focus on yourself. Improve your body and skill set so that you are not only self-sufficient, but a community asset...especially when times are bad. Then ready your family and home. Your home should have tools to make your family resilient, self-sufficient, and safe for an extended period of time. This includes fortifications such as generators, thorn bushes near windows, and strong locks on doors/windows...but also the skill set and communication system your family has in place. Assets like food, water options, heating/cooking options, defense tools, medical gear, and general tools come in to play here too. Some kind of redundant and diversified transportation options are also good to have. car for everyone may be useful...but so might be a hybrid motor bike.

Once you, your family, and your home are in good shape, expand outwards to improve your neighbors and community. Do you at least know your neighbors names? Have you built relationships with them to form a larger support system? Do you have communication options available to set up things like early warning systems or the ability to put out a distress call of some sort? Also, which neighbors present potential threats that you need to keep an eye on? If things go really, really bad, all the people you live near aren't suddenly gone...you'll need to continue working with them...which is another reason bugging out is stupid.

Soooo back to the "all of them answer". If things are so bad that our normal way of life doesn't work anymore ....especially if you're thinking of what rifle to bring with you instead of ccw handgun.... then all of my rifles will be in use with all of my family members and some close neighbors. We'll be busy building a resilient local community that can stand up to threats and challenges better, while making ourselves seem as worth keeping around to everyone around us that we can. In that kind of situation being an expendable loner isn't a winning strategy. It also kind've renders the choice of specific firearm as not that big of a deal...relative to everything else that needs to go your way. Something like a 5.56 tavor with a 1-8 LPVO and lots of mags would probably be pretty ideal though.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    SHTF...most people shouldn't bug out unless they have to. Will be much harder once you bug out vs staying put.

yeah our beltways and highways etc are bumper to bumper most of the time in 'normal' conditions. one accident, or a little weather, and we have multi-mile backups. can you imagine everyone trying to go the same direction at the same time, forgetaboutit.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Bulk rimfire ammunition is not reliable enough for me to stake my life on. Even minimags aren't 100%. If things really go bad, I won't be able to leave. Roads will be backed up because people are stupid and panicky. I'll keep all of my firearms loaded, minimum two at every entry point, the rest in a fallback room. No point in doing anything else for the first week. Living near a reservoir helps.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If bug out is your thing, determine how you are traveling. Vehicle take whatever floats your boat. On foot you will probably be limited to about 300 rds give or take a 100 unless you opt for some rimfire. Good arguments can be made for a lot of .30 cal somethings.:) Although, I'm joining the 5.56 bandwagon for this dance. Bugging in unless forced out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom