• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Looking at the financial on yahoo finance (YoY compares end of January) things look OK from the income statement side. Gross margin is down 1.6% from 2017 doesn't seem to big of an issue however 1.6% on $8.4B is roughly $131M.

Why didn't the financials see a huge pickup from 2017 to 2018 due to the US tax law changes? where did that income go?

Balance sheet side...inventory is the highest is has been since 2016(furthest I can go back), AP is highest since 2016 also. They took on~$56M of long term debt between 17-18. Current ratio is dropping over the years but still good 1.5 down to 1.4. They've spent a significant less amount (1/2 as less) in CapEx.

Working capital is worse, $20M less in receivables, inventory $100M higher and AP $40M year over year.

Be interesting to watch this one in the next couple of years.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I stopped buying anything from Dick's in 2013. I could be convinced to start buying only their loss leaders when I know of them and sign up for all their sales mailers. I need newspaper to start BBQs anyways.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Look at that graph again. It isn't as high as it was in 2017. Also, how much did people by their gear from Dick's before hand? I found them to be expensive and would buy my ammo and so forth from Sportsman's Guide with free shipping. Dick's was never a big sellers of AR-15's nor guns for that matter. They took a small segment of sales from a small segment of sales to do some virtue signaling.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Just face it. Even before their announcement, and any ad hoc 2Aer boycotts, Dicks' bottom line was more influenced by golfers than gun owners. Dicks' dropping a small fraction of their business is just not going to affect them very much.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I have completely boycotted Dicks AND Wal-Mart. There is nothing either store has that I can't get elsewhere. I don't know if it makes a difference, but at least I am doing something.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    I think ive made one purchase from dicks since their decision. 10x10 pop up tents were on sale and mine had broken.

I never go to wally world just bc i cant stand the place.

Amazon is just fine, 1 day delivery is even better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Look at that graph again. It isn't as high as it was in 2017. Also, how much did people by their gear from Dick's before hand? I found them to be expensive and would buy my ammo and so forth from Sportsman's Guide with free shipping. Dick's was never a big sellers of AR-15's nor guns for that matter. They took a small segment of sales from a small segment of sales to do some virtue signaling.

Firearms was never a big part of their business, shopping for one there gave you a fairly limited selection, same with ammunition. Definitely was more virtue signaling than any major sacrifice to their top/bottom lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Had a decent conversation with a couple Dick's managers recently. As I posted earlier, I'll check out stuff there, but haven't spent a dime at a dicks for years(and won't). The wife has wanted to take the family out kayaking around here for a while, so we have been in the market, Dicks had an "outdoor event" to test out some kayaks, so we got to try a couple out. The manager asked if we were interested in buying one, told him definitely, but not from Dicks, and explained why, conversation was mutually polite, he said he understood, and that the stores unfortunately cannot dictate policy to their leadership. Spent around $1K at Gander outdoors on the way home. Got a call from corporate a couple days ago, as it seems the manager passed along my concerns, told them about my concerns, my refusal to do buisness with them, and basically loosing a decent sale due to their BS. Similarly polite, was told they are evaluating policies and customer complaints about them, and the impact of their policies. Not sure if they are looking to change anything, or are happy with doubling down on stupidity and just want to see if they can piss off all gun folk, and remain in buisness. Hopefully it helps the investors and BOD notice our boycott if nothing else. Corporate CS line- 877-846-9997

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Had a decent conversation with a couple Dick's managers recently. As I posted earlier, I'll check out stuff there, but haven't spent a dime at a dicks for years(and won't). The wife has wanted to take the family out kayaking around here for a while, so we have been in the market, Dicks had an "outdoor event" to test out some kayaks, so we got to try a couple out. The manager asked if we were interested in buying one, told him definitely, but not from Dicks, and explained why, conversation was mutually polite, he said he understood, and that the stores unfortunately cannot dictate policy to their leadership. Spent around $1K at Gander outdoors on the way home. Got a call from corporate a couple days ago, as it seems the manager passed along my concerns, told them about my concerns, my refusal to do buisness with them, and basically loosing a decent sale due to their BS. Similarly polite, was told they are evaluating policies and customer complaints about them, and the impact of their policies. Not sure if they are looking to change anything, or are happy with doubling down on stupidity and just want to see if they can piss off all gun folk, and remain in buisness. Hopefully it helps the investors and BOD notice our boycott if nothing else. Corporate CS line- 877-846-9997

Kudos to the manager for remaining polite and passing the info along. Rarity these days.

Sloopjonb

Feb 5, 2016
    I set foot but don’t buy. Is next to Best Buy walk through there until BB opens is the only time I ever have been in the place

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Just face it. Even before their announcement, and any ad hoc 2Aer boycotts, Dicks' bottom line was more influenced by golfers than gun owners. Dicks' dropping a small fraction of their business is just not going to affect them very much.

I'm sure there are gun owning golfers. Couldn't hurt to try to spread the word at T time :shrug:

Even if they acknowledge the impact of their policies, I think they've doubled down too hard to ever change. If they did, honestly, I wouldn't blame the entire other side for boycotting them too (and I probably wouldn't lift mine either). Now...once they get bought out by Bass Pro, it may be a different story. :fingerscrossed:

In any case, thanks for doing that, and sharing.:thumbsup:

I won't shop there, but telling wife not to get soccer gear for the kids will be impossible.
    Could you help find the gear elsewhere?

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    yeah that's good to see. And like others have said, if Dicks is on the rise but not matching the rise of the market as a whole, that seems productive. I never thought to look at it that way.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Soccer mom's outnumber the number of 2a folk who shopped at dicks. They still go to dicks and buy cheap ass foriegn made clothes and goods.

How many of us bought gun stuff at dicks before. I didn't.

I did buy golf stuff. But no longer do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom