A Bear Is Hanging Around In Deep Creek...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Hide your pizza!!!

581102262_750x422.jpg

581102247_750x422.jpg

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/local/bear-feasts-on-pizza-in-downtown-gatlinburg/93-581336100

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Send the wife out to shoo him away. :)

Bear. BEAR! Stop that, Bear. Bear, it's really rude of you to drink directly out of the hummingbird feeder. BEAR!!! GET YOUR PAWS OFF THE TABLE. Wait, that's my pizza. !! BEAR !!! STOP EATING MY PIZZA !!! Beaaaar, why are you doing this, Beaaaar??!?! Don't make me come over there, Bear. BEAR !!!!

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I will defer to those wiser that I, but after considerable research I offer the following:

Handgun: 45 long colt using Buffalo Bore 405 solids as a minimum. Only use this load in Rugers and other heavy built revolvers. DO NOT use this round in Taurus Judges according to Taurus. Obviously 44 mag and > is also good providing one uses solids v/s hollow points. I retired a 357 mag for bear defense using Buffalo bore solids after my experience recounted below.

Shotguns:

Any solid 3"+ slug/12 gauge for medium range. I'd use slugs v/s Sabots since you loose energy using Sabots due to the smaller slug.

Riffles:

You mileage may vary but a 7mm mag blowing thru both shoulders at 45 yards and a right to left front shot that only served to pierrette the bear, and a perfectly placed 180 gn 300 Win mag shot placed broadside just aft of the right shoulder at the same range did not drop a 2.5 year old 500 lb. bear in his tracks. He was dead but did not know it. He bellowed like I have never heard before while attempting to crawl back up a mountain in WMD. A 300 Win Mag to the base of his skull finally planted him. Next time, I'm using a 45/70 w/ Buffalo bore solids.

Black Bears hides are tough! That ELX 300 Win mag was recovered against the left clavicle and did not go thru the bear at 45 yards! Think sharkskin over 2 layers of hairy denim and you have bear hide v/s a t-shirt for deer hide. Best have a sharpening stone to skin the beast because you will have to re-sharpen after every 2-4 linear ft of skin.

Finally, if you do the black powder deer season in WMD, you might want to consider carrying an old Colt BP revolver that is not only legal, but could come in handy for a followup shot in addition to bear insurance.
    Yes! That hide and fur is thick. Hide is like a pig.
    I took my 175 pound bear on Savage Mt state land with my 223. Used a remington 55 grain soft point bullet. Placed the bullet just above the eyes at about 50 yards. The bear fell in his tracks. The hardest part of gutting was getting through the skin. Once this was done the guts came out much easier than a deer.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I think that DNR needs to be told about this bear, before someone gets hurt. It needs to be trapped and relocated.

deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    Why not contact DNR? If the bear as you said is growling and not leaving the area, then DNR will come an place a bear trap to remove it.

I can see in MD after you fire one off at it, the prosecutor's first question is why did you take the time to plan placing a firearm, but not contact DNR for assistance? The last thing you want to do is shoot at it in a residential area before taking all other precautions first. This is MD, not WV which is a bit more gun friendly.

Let the professionals handle the bear, I think you are already approaching it wrong other then the trash can relocating.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Yes! That hide and fur is thick. Hide is like a pig.
    I took my 175 pound bear on Savage Mt state land with my 223. Used a remington 55 grain soft point bullet. Placed the bullet just above the eyes at about 50 yards. The bear fell in his tracks. The hardest part of gutting was getting through the skin. Once this was done the guts came out much easier than a deer.

I could easily have done the between the eye shot but this would have really messed up my rug :-) 223 on a bear is a bit light IMHO and especially when compared to a 300 win mag 180 grain solid that did not plant the darn thing at the same range. Hopefully, I'll let everyone know how the 45/70 does at the same range.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    I can see in MD after you fire one off at it, the prosecutor's first question is why did you take the time to plan placing a firearm, but not contact DNR for assistance? The last thing you want to do is shoot at it in a residential area before taking all other precautions first. This is MD, not WV which is a bit more gun friendly.

I should be the poster boy for this statement. I had a bear chasing my horse in 2004. ( obviously before we had a bear season ) It continually chased my horse trying to trip her and get her down. Luckily she is a smaller horse and very quick. I continually called the DNR to trap this bear. The only answer I got from them was " it is highly unusual and pretty much unheard of for a bear to chase a horse"
    So, a week or so later there is was chasing my horse again . I ended the chase with a 30.06 round. I immediately called the DNR and told them what happened. They are at my house in 15 minutes , on Mothers Day morning mind you.....
    They were not happy that I protected my pure breed Morgan horse the way I did. They investigated it and to be honest were total A-holes when they went about it. So much so that I finally had to retain a lawyer.
    I ended up not being prosecuted. But I did tell them that I will never, EVER call the DNR about a bear issue again. I tried to do the right thing numerous times and all I got was Harassed. :envy:

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    This guy is a regular as u can see he don't give 2 sh""s. Pic was about 3 weeks ago and this past Sunday he crossed the road in front of us at about 40 yards and just stood there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 147

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads