• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I've owned a Yamaha EF 2000is Inverter/Generator for several years and I'm extremely happy with it. For people that have never seen one in person it's amazing how quiet the Inverter/Generators are. I went with the Yamaha because it was priced the same as the Honda, but the Yamaha came with several more important features that Honda didn't offer.

Do you use it for more than when the power at home goes out?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Fuel Stabilizers

Use SeaFoam instead of Stabil.

SeaFoam is much better. And won't leave red crystals in the bottom of your fuel cans.

For the record, I never have had any carburetor issues with SeaFoam and unleaded fuels. Never drained any carburetors either, prior to storage. Dose it with enough SeaFoam and you won't have any issues. I've been doing this for many years, with all kinds of combustion engines.

Kyler

Apr 4, 2016
    Keedysville
    Lost power in Middletown again. It's about the 5th or 6th time this year.

I'm guessing Generac is a reliable generator brand I'm going to use between 3 and 6 times a year. Just to power the fridge and some additional little things. I'm thinking 6500 watts is plenty.

Anyone recommend a location to purchase one in the Frederick area. I loathe the big box stores.

Slightly off-topic reply, but I have a 14KW Generac at my house. It has been very reliable.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    I use a Generac portable electric start generator from Tractor Supply and had a transfer switch installed in my house. 25' cord from generator to transfer switch outlet and I can put the generator behind the garage, you cant hear it in the house. The generator is not quiet but my closest neighbor is a couple hundred yards through the woods so a non issue.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Slightly off-topic reply, but I have a 14KW Generac at my house. It has been very reliable.

That is a big genny what is the fuel source? NG or propane? That alone would make it far more reliable.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    CNG. It is an almost whole house generator. I have it for my bride's medical equipment when the power fails.

Fortunately you get to avoid all the issues related to gasoline going bad and ethanol.

Kyler

Apr 4, 2016
    Keedysville
    Fortunately you get to avoid all the issues related to gasoline going bad and ethanol.

agree. IMHO, the best generator for infrequent use would have a 2-stroke motor. The oil/gas mix rarely has issues with long term storage and doesn't need an additive.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    agree. IMHO, the best generator for infrequent use would have a 2-stroke motor. The oil/gas mix rarely has issues with long term storage and doesn't need an additive.

My house has natural gas so I've been tempted to buy a generator and one of those motor snorkel kits that converts a portable gas generators to run on natural gas. That would solve the issues of storing fuel and fuel contamination.

For better or worse we pretty much never lose power, so I haven't been able to justify the expense of the generator . . . yet. In the last three years we've haven't lost power for more than a couple of seconds.

Kyler

Apr 4, 2016
    Keedysville
    For better or worse we pretty much never lose power, so I haven't been able to justify the expense of the generator . . . yet. In the last three years we've haven't lost power for more than a couple of seconds.

I noticed power failures were reduced dramatically shortly after I invested in a whole house generator! :lol2:

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    my champion has an electric solenoid for low oil shutoff. it froze up and i had to get a new carb. these things have to be run every so often.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I used to own a company that installed & serviced Generac standby generators. They are basically glorified lawn mowers. That said, most of 'em start and run just fine for a long time with minimal maintenance. If I had to run life sustaining medical equipment I would probably get a commercial grade Kohler - for 99.89% of the population a Generac is just fine. The Honda Inverter units are excellent! but wont come close to powering a house worth of stuff at the same time and they for sure aren't going to run your 240 volt well - great for campers and minimalists on city water & sewer. If someone decides to buy a Generac whole house unit, do yourself a favor and get an independent dealer to (not Home Depot or Lowes) to install it. The vast majority of my service work was from folks who had them installed by Home Depot and needed someone with a clue to get it right -- it's been a while, maybe they've gotten better but you won't know till its too late.

At my own house (with no gas service) I used for over a decade a 75 year old military surplus unit, I just sold it to a collector and used the proceeds to buy a Chonda powered Harbor Freight unit - so far it's been excellent.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    I have the honda and a chinese knockoff as backup for the backup. Either of them will run my 2 fridges, and the internet. Probably going to pickup a portable a/c unit this year and I'll split the load between them.

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    We went with the Honda EM5000 with the APC Universal Transfer Switch. The automatic transfer switch made it simple for the Mrs. wheel out plug in generator and turn a key with no risk of back feeding or blowing stuff if i was not home. It is nice and quiet, exactly what I wanted, and allowed me to wire in my well pump, sump pump, fridge, and numerous outlets. No heat or AC (we have geothermal) but have 2 portable AC units that can be used. 10 years later...it was used 3 times and the carb was replaced last year due to my neglect.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Got a 12KW "portable" if you want to call it that, then a tractor mounted
    PTO driven one. Haven't been looking for a permanent means, but may
    have to the transformer that feeds several of us is in a middle of a field
    last week a squirrel took the power out for 4 hours, the dinner menu
    for the day was "smoked squirrel"

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts