• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    I am looking at this to get into 3 Gun. I don't want to use my MKA 1919 because that will put me in open division. I also don't want to start with a $2000 gun. Any opinions would help.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's a great entry gun, most choose that or the Stoeger M3K 3 gun. I went with the JM Pro, have run it for 4 seasons now, their QC is hit or miss, I got a good one, but some don't. Seemed to jam up a bit and run sluggish when the gas system was only modestly dirty during the 1st season, filed a slightly larger gap on the piston rings, and that solved it, now I can go a season just lubing before every match, and I don't need to strip and "clean" it till the end of the season, maybe every few thousand shells. The factory tube extension is nice, but too short for a quick quad load at the start of a long stage, and not compatible with the new Nordic series of nuts/caps(clamp works), so best off with a 24" model and buying a +7 kit for 12 in the tube total. Most open up the loading port more, and polish the flare to speed up twins and quads, you can add a lengthened/welded lifter if your thumb gets pinched. an extended bolt release and hi-vis bead are nice, and the factory shim kit can get a good stock fit. You either need GG&G sling adapters, or make something else work if you might use it in a slung stage. It is a good gun, and doesn't take much to be very competitive, it cycles fast and can be reliable, recoil is soft, only downsides are weight/balance and QC/reliability on some, and the front handguard "bump" at the rear edge that most shave down. Have shot the Stoeger M3K, Beretta 1301, and Benelli M2s, I'm a fan of gas guns, and their softer recoil, especially with slugs, so the Beretta is about the only "upgrade" I might consider, although the inertia guns are slimmer/lighter with less maintenence. IMO best bet is to start with the JM or M3K, shoot till it holds you back, then upgrade, and use it as a backup. Starting out in an expensive sport with an expensive gun is tough for most, and the money saved is usually better used in ammo, practice, and shooting more matches.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    haven't played with the jm, but there are a lot of benelli m2's at the matches. mine's been 100% over past couple years. i did have the port opened up a little and lifter welded.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    bunch on gunbroker at $1200, that's well below $2k but not sure how far below $2k you wanted.

if you look on classifieds on brianenos.com you can find some used ones already set up for 3 gun.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I picked up a Benelli M1 Super 90 about 5-6 years ago. That was about the time the Stoeger MK3 was introduced, but I was unaware of it. My M1 Super 90 was an old police trade in for $700, and I had to put another $250 in it to get the barrel threaded for chokes and to buy the chokes. Being a used gun it was well broken in and easily handled the light load shells. It’s inertia driven and I really like that.

If I had to get a shotgun now, I would get with the Stoeger MK3. Good luck.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a Stoeger M3K w/ a Nordic Components 5rd extension. I was considering the JM PRO but like the inertia system for it's self cleaning ability. This gun was never used for competition but has been shot quite a bit for fun. I've never had any problem with it at all

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    before you buy, definitely hit a 3 gun match and check out everyone's shotties. best way to get a feel for each of them and what might work for you. bring a few boxes of shells and most will let you fire off some rounds after the match. the first 3g match at peacemaker is may 18, you're welcome to try mine and most of my squad mates will let you try theirs also. thurmont may have a 3 gun match before that.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I ran 3-gun for a few years using a JMPro. Definitely go for the +7 setup. Best is the one piece XRail mag tube. No separate threaded collar so it won't get loose. Also stiff enough so you can run without a barrel clamp. Get one of the alloy followers. You will need to get the load area cut away if you want to do Quad load. Also get the left side of the carrier trimmed a little or when the gun is running really hot it might jam against the side. I ran mine for the first season without cleaning it on purpose just to see what would pop up. Ran the entire time even when the gas ring was so crudded up I had to practically chisel it off to clean it. I switched to a bigger bolt handle but don't remember whose. Also mount a matchsaver 1 or 2 round carrier just in front of the chamber as it will come in handy. As for sights I ended up using a Tru-Glo triangular fiber optic turkey sight with a FO bead on the end of the barrel. Worked good for me plus allowed me to have an aim point for both full power and low recoil slugs.
    I was part of a 3-man/3-gun team at York. We started shooting Tac Ops but our LEO member got an MKA1919 and wanted to shoot it. That when I went with the full +7 shotgun rig. I ran the XRail mag tube + 2 extension for 12+1, plus I could take the extension off and keep the full spring in the tube and it became 9+1 for Tac Ops. Ended up with a Burris FF3 on the shotgun and an offset red dot on my AR, and bought a used G34 w/Trijicon on it. Then I had knee issues plus our LEO member was seriously injured at the Police Games and the team broke up. Now I have had one knee totally replaced so maybe back to some 3-gun this year. That's why I never sold anything off. Good luck.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a Stoeger M3K w/ a Nordic Components 5rd extension. I was considering the JM PRO but like the inertia system for it's self cleaning ability. This gun was never used for competition but has been shot quite a bit for fun. I've never had any problem with it at all

I forgot I also added an alloy follower and Benelli Ultimate Reduced-Power Hammer and Trigger Springs (from Taran Tactical).

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Check out the Remington Versamax Competition Tactical. $1800 list but on sale at Cabelas for $1300 which is what I paid for mine.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...ington-versamax-competition-tactical-shotgun/

I looked at the JM Pro but the Versamax Comp Tac has a lot of features already provided.

Enlarged loading port, oversized controls, 8+1 capacity, fiber optic front sight. And in the box; 2 shot extender , replacement fiber optic sights, 4 chokes, pic rail , bits and pieces to adjust stock drop, heel and LOP , replacement rear sights all included.

Overall, it is a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom