• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That Silver Pigeon from Bass pro is a good deal, as is the CXS. Most people who handle both come away with a distinct preference. 12 gauge 30" barrels is a versatile all-arounder.

Yes - I handled both the Browning and the Beretta. I was set on Beretta and bought the Browning.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I find the Browning 12 gauge O/U recoil to be practically non-existent.

Try shooting it off your other shoulder. :D

This was the first exercise of the NSCA Level 1 instructor school. To remind you what it is like for a first timer shooting.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Try shooting it off your other shoulder. :D

This was the first exercise of the NSCA Level 1 instructor school. To remind you what it is like for a first timer shooting.

I remember that oh so well, shooting a shotgun is one of the few things I can do left handed!!! Need to close my right eye (terminally right eye dominant), but I still can do it fairly well.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    So the fiancé just told me she wants to buy me a shotgun for a wedding gift. What should I be looking at in the 2k price range? My experience is pretty limited and have only really ever shot clays once but we loved it and want to make the leap into the sport.

My first thought is I would like to go hold and fondle several different options, where would the best place to do this? Preferable somewhere near Towson.

I am leaning towards and o/u and notably a Browning Cynergy or Citori but am open to different options.

One of the best places to hold and fondle, in my opinion...ain't nowhere near Towson. That place is Cabelas in Christiana Mall/ Newark, DE. And, there's no waiting in line to fondle. Just an idea.

:party29:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I remember that oh so well, shooting a shotgun is one of the few things I can do left handed!!! Need to close my right eye (terminally right eye dominant), but I still can do it fairly well.

There was a guy in my class, who could NOT, make himself put his right foot forward when we did this. :)

He should put it forward, then as he shouldered his gun, the feet would switch around. They had him try 3 - 4 times, and it happened every time. :D

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    So the fiancé just told me she wants to buy me a shotgun for a wedding gift. What should I be looking at in the 2k price range? My experience is pretty limited and have only really ever shot clays once but we loved it and want to make the leap into the sport.

My first thought is I would like to go hold and fondle several different options, where would the best place to do this? Preferable somewhere near Towson.

I am leaning towards and o/u and notably a Browning Cynergy or Citori but am open to different options.

W.E.Sell in Hanover is a full line Browning dealer. BassPro and Cabelas have a great selection. Greentops too.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Before Gander up in York got reorganized, it was a good place grab shotguns off the racks. Non high end B guns, Remington, Winchester. All the long guns are behind the counter now but still a lot to look at, the camping world guy definitely improved it if you havent been there, its maybe equal to Wal Mart
    and not K Mart anymore.

Shyda's south of Lebanon is a cool place. The high end stuff is in a cabinet now, maybe 10 Higher grade Brownings/Berettas but plenty of other new and some used stuff to check out yourself.

Molly's Place in Kennedyville (Kent County) had a bunch of B guns when I stopped in there real quick 3 weeks ago. It'll add probably an hour both ways to your Delaware trip

I'm just a stones throw away from Pennsylvania and don't know anywhere else in Maryland would be good, probably no where

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Other than some face slap from the wrong cast, how bad could it be?

Your other shoulder is not used to the recoil. You do not realize how much you have gotten used to the recoil.

And, you feel VERY awkward.

And that is the point of the exercise. To remind you what it was like the first time.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I was helping a new shooter learn this weekend and they were left handed, I'm right handed. I tried mounting the gun lefty and it was awkward. My feet were not the problem though. I'll have to try shooting that way here in the near future.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Your other shoulder is not used to the recoil. You do not realize how much you have gotten used to the recoil.

And, you feel VERY awkward.

And that is the point of the exercise. To remind you what it was like the first time.

I'm noticing that people who only shoot one discipline have trouble shooting long guns off of their weak side :innocent0.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm noticing that people who only shoot one discipline have trouble shooting long guns off of their weak side :innocent0.

Interesting. However, at the time I did my NSCA instructor course, I was also heavily into USPSA shooting.

Normal weekend day was USPSA in the morning, sporting clays in the afternoon.

:cool:

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    These guys know target shotguns. They carry both Beretta and Browning. They can fit the gun to you. It’s a little bit of a drive.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com

Man... This place looks sick! 3.5 hrs away tho. I might try to take a ride to bass pro or cabelas this weekend and if their selection doesn't let me get my hands on enough to feel good about a decision I might have to suck it up and make the trek to this place.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting. However, at the time I did my NSCA instructor course, I was also heavily into USPSA shooting.

Normal weekend day was USPSA in the morning, sporting clays in the afternoon.

:cool:

Funny thing, USPSA PCC shooters don't want to shoot from their weak side saying it slows them down. The vast majority started as pistol shooters. They'll contort themselves to extremes to avoid it :lol2:. I don't have a problem shooting a long gun from either shoulder unless the gun is built for shooting only from the strong side.

A couple of years ago I had a chance to shoot both the Citori and Silver Pigeon Sporting at a Red Duck event. They both fit and shot well...but the Silver Pigeon fit perfectly. Ended up Buying it from Joel Etchen and shipping it to PG trap and skeet for delivery. If you choose the Silver Pigeon make sure you buy the sporting model, because the field version puts the safety on each time you break the action open. Love mine, the good fit made me a better shooter !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom