• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I got a metal safety select switch for my Mossberg 500 that has a raised area on it so it's easier to engage and disengage than the stock switch. Last night I tried to remove the safety select switch from my shotgun and the screw head is a tamper proof one that is shaped with a beveled ramp on each side so when it's tightened there are two flat parts for the screwdriver tip to press against, but when it's loosened the screwdriver just slides up the ramps without engaging. Is there a special screwdriver for this screw or should I just cut into the screw to remove it? The new safety switch came with a new screw so I shuldn't need to reuse the old one, but I'd like to save it if I can so I can put the gun back to stock one day if I want to.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I’ve had luck removing screws like that with my sharpest screws driver and lots of downward force being applied while turning it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You can get a security bit set (for standard hex drive) on Amazon for ~$10 that has about all of them you'll see in use. Look at the offerings and see if one of them would work.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thinking this security screw is probably countersunk too, meaning you can’t get a vise grip on it.

If you can’t get on it to cut a slot in it to grab, you’re probably looking at an easy out. I’ve not used the two pronged security screw removal tools, but they don’t have the best reputation for success.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Thinking this security screw is probably countersunk too, meaning you can’t get a vise grip on it.

If you can’t get on it to cut a slot in it to grab, you’re probably looking at an easy out. I’ve not used the two pronged security screw removal tools, but they don’t have the best reputation for success.

Yeah, it is countersunk. I tried using a small tweaker type screwdriver and tapping it with a mallet at a 45 degree angle to one of the ramps to try to push on the ramp and the screwdriver tip would just go up and over the ramp each time.

I guess they don't want people removing the safety on their guns.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yeah, it is countersunk. I tried using a small tweaker type screwdriver and tapping it with a mallet at a 45 degree angle to one of the ramps to try to push on the ramp and the screwdriver tip would just go up and over the ramp each time.

I guess they don't want people removing the safety on their guns.

You got me curious about this, so I pulled one of my 500’s, and sure enough....learn something new every day, and I’ve never noticed this before.

Found this video....MAYBE worth a shot. I think the success of this will be all about using the right screwdriver. Thinking hollow ground for sure. You won’t likely get multiple shots at this screw head. Good Luck!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4OLOJ0gg4wg

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I’ve had luck removing screws like that with my sharpest screws driver and lots of downward force being applied while turning it.

This, the one way flat head is pain, just reapply locktite when re-assembling or find a screw that is not one way that will fit.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    If nothing else works, you could try to cut another slot for a flat head screwdriver(or deepen the current one) It would probably destroy the old safety switch. You could use a cut off disc on a dremel or a hacksaw.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    If nothing else works, you could try to cut another slot for a flat head screwdriver(or deepen the current one) It would probably destroy the old safety switch. You could use a cut off disc on a dremel or a hacksaw.

This is what I may end up doing.

I went to Harbor Freight this afternoon and bought one of the security screwdriver bit sets but I don't see anything in there that looks like it would work any better than a plain old flat tip screwdriver.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Just bear down it with a screw driver. I replaced mine with a low profile hex one.

IMG-3957.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom