• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I was trying out a Ruger MK-IV with iron sights last night at the indoor range. With poor lighting and black sights I ended up having to turn the target around just to be able to see it. Some of us go into old age with good eyes, some of us don't. I plan on getting a new pair of glasses made with the focus on shooting handguns. With the glasses I have now I have to tilt my head back to be able to see the pistol sights clearly but the target is out of focus. Fortunately I can still see it good enough to ten-spot it at 10 yrds. I loved that MK-IV but when I get one I'm going to have to add a red dot or something. Very accurate pistol.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What a coincidence; I am 58 and today is my first day post-op following Refractive Lens Replacement procedures on both eyes. Had my right eye done Monday and yesterday was my left.

An FYI

This sounded interesting, so I looked it up.

It is not FDA appoved.

It is primarily for far sightedness and not recommended for near sightedness and astigmatism.

It does not eliminate the need for reading glasses for ever, it does reduce the need for them.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/refractive-lens-exchange.htm

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing with prescription glasses for shooting. When you are using long guns, especially, your head is down and you are looking out of the top of the glasses. Normal glasses are cut to look through the middle of the lens.

I get my prescription glasses from Morgan Optical. The staff are shooters, and really knowledgeable and helpful. Mr. Morgan was a big time trap shooter.

I use Randolph Ranger frames that sit up higher. They also allow quick and easy changing of lenses. I typically have Yellow for indoors or cloudy days, it increases contrast. Brown for sunny day, they are dark enough to be sunglasses, and the brown enhances contrast. And Target Purple for clays, I shoot sporting clays, so any color clay. If you only shoot orange clays, then orange tint works quite well.

https://www.morganoptical.net/

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm 63 and have the same issue. Wear glasses and I can see the sights clearly and target is blurry. Don't wear glasses and I can see the target clearly and sights are blurry. I've been buying lots of scopes lately :)

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    One thing with prescription glasses for shooting. When you are using long guns, especially, your head is down and you are looking out of the top of the glasses. Normal glasses are cut to look through the middle of the lens.

I get my prescription glasses from Morgan Optical. The staff are shooters, and really knowledgeable and helpful. Mr. Morgan was a big time trap shooter.

I use Randolph Ranger frames that sit up higher. They also allow quick and easy changing of lenses. I typically have Yellow for indoors or cloudy days, it increases contrast. Brown for sunny day, they are dark enough to be sunglasses, and the brown enhances contrast. And Target Purple for clays, I shoot sporting clays, so any color clay. If you only shoot orange clays, then orange tint works quite well.

https://www.morganoptical.net/

Good info - thanks!

GMG66

Apr 19, 2018
    For rifles and pistols, iron or scoped, shoot with both eyes open. Problem solved. But if you use glasses, don't forget to wear them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The target is supposed to be blurry , and the front sight clear .

If talking rifles, a peep sight will be much better than open sights .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have 20-30 vision for distance but need reading glasses to the point I can use my iphone but I have to hold it at arms length.
    I use an eyepal (diopter) on my protective eye-ware when shooting non peep iron sights. It works but you MUST have light. It is pretty much no good for me indoors.
    I do not use anything for pistol. I'm fine with pistol.

For Rimfire, if you can use something like tech sights for a rear peep, that can help alot with far sided vision issues.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    The target is supposed to be blurry , and the front sight clear .

If talking rifles, a peep sight will be much better than open sights .

I focus on the front sight when I shoot. It is blurry with my regular glasses but doable. I was shooting the AR9 pistol with rear peep style sight on Monday and it does help. I can get the job done but it sure would be nice to have clear vision again.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    1. Measure the distance from your eye to the front sight when in your shooting position.
    2. Take that measurement with you when you see your eye doctor.
    3. Tell him you need a prescription to see clearly at that distance in addition to your regular glasses.
    4. Order a pair of shooting glasses in your special prescription with your lens color choice, I like yellow and order inexpensive ones from Zenni https://www.zennioptical.com/
    5. If that doesn't work buy a scoring pencil the same diameter as the caliber you shoot.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Peep sights work! The tiny hole increase visual acuity.

Take a small piece of black electrical tape (1/2 inch round or less) and punch a small hole in the center of the spot of tape using a leather punch or hot nail. This makes a very inexpensive peep sight that you can place wherever you want on your normal shooting glasses. Move it around until it is in a comfortable spot. Works every time. I keep a dozen or so stuck to a small piece of plastic in my range bag.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Take a small piece of black electrical tape (1/2 inch round or less) and punch a small hole in the center of the spot of tape using a leather punch or hot nail. This makes a very inexpensive peep sight that you can place wherever you want on your normal shooting glasses. Move it around until it is in a comfortable spot. Works every time. I keep a dozen or so stuck to a small piece of plastic in my range bag.

Also, bullseye or precision shooting diopters for the shooting glasses are available and work.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I look back at some of the shooting that I have done in my lifetime and long for the days when I could see clearly and hold tight groups even at some distance. All things considered, I am thankful to have any vision at all after developing severe Grave's Eye disease.

I am a week from turning 63 and have diseased eye muscles and still a little double vision at times. Since the muscles control focus as well as movement, my vision is very inconsistent. My right eye is dominant but no good for distance and cannot focus on the front sight. The left eye has good vision at distance and can see the front sight well, but I just can't bring myself to switch to left handed shooting.

I find myself using the left eye when shooting pistols and trying to hit the bullseye. Most of the time, I use my right eye and just point it and shoot depending more on the human body's natural ability to aim. I do surprisingly well at hitting what I am unable to focus on with the right eye. Generally, within 25 yards I am hitting a man sized target in the vitals so I am satisfied.

Some days I see fairly well at distance and others, not so much. Can't see anything up close with either eye unless I use a reading lens for left eye and close right eye completely.

Peep sights on rifles are usable for me as long as the aperture is not too small. On an AR, I can not see through the hole of the small aperture clearly enough to even find the front sight. All my ARs are set with the large aperture because of that and I should be good to at least 250 yards using a 50/200 yard zero. Two builds sport reflex sighting systems for quicker target acquisition with these old and messed up eyes. I keep the BUISs folded down and have no need for them unless the reflex would fail.

I really prefer a scope on a rifle but my milsurps are another issue. Since I do not want to permanently modify any of them, the plan is to replace the rear sights on a couple with peep sights in the coming months. Luckily, I have found they are available for my shooters. If I find the apertures to be too small, I can always pull out the drill bits and open it up to a usable size.

I gave up hunting some years ago because of my health issues, so my shooting is strictly on targets now. No worries about critters not being taken cleanly and quickly.

Adapt, improvise, and overcome!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I look back at some of the shooting that I have done in my lifetime and long for the days when I could see clearly and hold tight groups even at some distance. All things considered, I am thankful to have any vision at all after developing severe Grave's Eye disease.

I am a week from turning 63 and have diseased eye muscles and still a little double vision at times. Since the muscles control focus as well as movement, my vision is very inconsistent. My right eye is dominant but no good for distance and cannot focus on the front sight. The left eye has good vision at distance and can see the front sight well, but I just can't bring myself to switch to left handed shooting.

I find myself using the left eye when shooting pistols and trying to hit the bullseye. Most of the time, I use my right eye and just point it and shoot depending more on the human body's natural ability to aim. I do surprisingly well at hitting what I am unable to focus on with the right eye. Generally, within 25 yards I am hitting a man sized target in the vitals so I am satisfied.

Some days I see fairly well at distance and others, not so much. Can't see anything up close with either eye unless I use a reading lens for left eye and close right eye completely.

Peep sights on rifles are usable for me as long as the aperture is not too small. On an AR, I can not see through the hole of the small aperture clearly enough to even find the front sight. All my ARs are set with the large aperture because of that and I should be good to at least 250 yards using a 50/200 yard zero. Two builds sport reflex sighting systems for quicker target acquisition with these old and messed up eyes. I keep the BUISs folded down and have no need for them unless the reflex would fail.

I really prefer a scope on a rifle but my milsurps are another issue. Since I do not want to permanently modify any of them, the plan is to replace the rear sights on a couple with peep sights in the coming months. Luckily, I have found they are available for my shooters. If I find the apertures to be too small, I can always pull out the drill bits and open it up to a usable size.

I gave up hunting some years ago because of my health issues, so my shooting is strictly on targets now. No worries about critters not being taken cleanly and quickly.

Adapt, improvise, and overcome!

Get yourself a Merit Optical Device then you can adjust the hole size to suit yourself:
    http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Wow! Never seen anything like that. Thanks for the link. Bookmarked and will pick one up when the budget allows. Got some parts that still need to be acquired which are a slightly higher priority.

A while back while getting an eye exam the doctor placed the black lens with the little holes in it into that device they use, and my vision in the right eye suddenly seemed to be perfect. I asked him about their function and if I could get a pair with those lenses in both sides!

I may try using something like that to patch the right lens of my shooting glasses until I can pick up the Merit.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Wow! Never seen anything like that. Thanks for the link. Bookmarked and will pick one up when the budget allows. Got some parts that still need to be acquired which are a slightly higher priority.

A while back while getting an eye exam the doctor placed the black lens with the little holes in it into that device they use, and my vision in the right eye suddenly seemed to be perfect. I asked him about their function and if I could get a pair with those lenses in both sides!

I may try using something like that to patch the right lens of my shooting glasses until I can pick up the Merit.

They make stick on apertures this is one brand:
    http://www.eyepalusa.com/faq.php

Or punch a small hole in a piece of electric tape and make your own.

The merit is the Cadillac because you can dial the best diameter depending on the lighting conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom