• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    So I am looking for a modern(not black powder) 10 gauge coach gun. The problem I am running in to is that the 10Ga SXS shotguns I am finding are either black powder or are in good shape and are full length. I don't want to bubba a shotgun that is in good shape, It feels wrong somehow. :) I really want to find one that is already 18.5-20in. Do any of the shotgun experts on here know of a modern 10ga coach gun that was commercially produced? Or has anyone seen one floating around at a reasonable price?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Not sure on short break actions. I have a BPS (pump/bottom eject) in 10ga, easy to shorten that.

Not too many people are using 10ga for HD, mostly goose guns, hence the 26-28" barrels.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    So I am looking for a modern(not black powder) 10 gauge coach gun. The problem I am running in to is that the 10Ga SXS shotguns I am finding are either black powder or are in good shape and are full length. I don't want to bubba a shotgun that is in good shape, It feels wrong somehow. :) I really want to find one that is already 18.5-20in. Do any of the shotgun experts on here know of a modern 10ga coach gun that was commercially produced? Or has anyone seen one floating around at a reasonable price?

Like this ?

A+Punt+Gun,+used+for+duck+hunting+but+were+banned+because+they+depleted+stocks+of+wild+fowl.jpg

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Huh,

What is pictured above is actually known as a "punt" gun, from back in the market hunt days of ducks. DU just had an article on it, guys back in the early 1900 would kill 5k (five thousand) ducks a day on the Susquehanna flats up here.

Snowden_Slights_with_big_gun_YORYM-S364.jpg

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    We're talking 2 POUNDS of shot at one time. They would often only shoot once a night (yes, night), kill 30 to 50 ducks at a time.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

About 8 or 9 years ago, I decided that I really wanted to make a SxS SBS 10 gauge. I was going to have the barrels professionally chopped and I still never found a good long barreled SxS that wasn't WAY more than I wanted to pay.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    What are you going to do with it? I have an old Stevens 311 12 gauge with an 18" barrel and 3" chambers, and let me tell you, with full power 3" buckshot or slugs, it's not something you enjoy for casual shooting (more than once or twice anyway...) :)

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have a Stoeger Coach gun, It is fun to shoot sometimes. But I really like 10 gauge shotguns. So that is why I want a 10ga coach gun. It would be just a fun gun.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Word is that when the wanted a 10 gauge for the movie Apaloosa, they fit a fake barrel over to 12 guage. They never needed to fire it.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Word is that when the wanted a 10 gauge for the movie Apaloosa, they fit a fake barrel over to 12 guage. They never needed to fire it.

The shotgun in the movie was an 8 gauge and since none were available the mock up as you described was used. The gun was almost as tall as Vigo he said!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I thought about this for a while, as I am generally known as a glutton for punishment when it comes to recoil.

Your best bet would be to source one of the Spanish shotguns, they have modern steel. They go by dozens of name including Mercury, America's best, Zabala etc. The Spanish shotgun market is pretty soft with most going for less than $200, however the 10 gauges are the exception and routinely sell between $400 and $600. Warning, they are VERY heavy and stiff actions.

I was going to shorten one I bought from a member here, but it was just to nice.

Carefully look at the size compared to my Rossi Overland.

I wouldn't worry too much about cost per round, you wont be shooting it that much. 20 rds out of a SxS coach gun every once in a while is enough to make you happy. Im lucky to go through 2 boxes per year.

100_1553_278543.jpg

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I should have posted this when it was done.

So I actually got it done and I love it. I have WAY more in the gun than it will ever be worth. But it was a labor of love. Everytime I get out to a range that will let me shoot my 10GA coach gun I bring it. The recoil isn't bad.

Attachments

• 15495974638763272328863063084483.jpg
      15495974638763272328863063084483.jpg
      61.2 KB · Views: 287

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, it's way cool .

But for historical reference , back in the late 1800's aka Wild West days , the standard loads for 10ga were 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 oz . In other words , historical 10ga loads were equivalent to modern era 12ga field loads .

And for everyone with their cut down 10ga , who doesn't want painful recoil from anti- aircraft class goose loads RST ( rstshells dot com) offers 2 5/8 and 2 7/8 in 10ga shells loaded with 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 oz of shot @ moderate velocities , starting at $16/ 25rd .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom