• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I already have one of those to pick up tools, nuts, and bolts I drop in engine bays and elsewhere. Now, I am sitting here wondering if it will work on factory AA and STS hulls. If a magnet works on those brass hulls, watch the electro magnet I have with me the next time I am at PGT&S. I'll hold that sucker over each trash can. Time to visit the garage and then the basement.

OP - very nice shotgun. Got my first 28 gauge 2 years ago and I really like the gauge. Of course, it is a Beretta A400 Action. Really wish Beretta would come out with a .410 semi, but the 28 will do in the meantime.

Edit to add: The magnet does not work on unprimed AA or STS hulls, but the Win 209 and Rem 209 primers have steel in them and the magnet works just fine on the hulls that are primed.

When I first saw these I was surprised at how well they worked with just the primer being magnetic. One of my friends has made several of these. His are nicer and stronger than the store bought ones. He even dips them in plasti dip. He did make one that was way too strong. He keeps a glove over it because it will attach itself to gun barrels and cars and possibly leave a mark.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9SK8XY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_vXdtCb949TK4W

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Between hunting and clays, I've been a shotgun guy for my adult life. Thought I knew a lot. But been reading the recent threads in the Shotgun forum and learning things I didn't know....especially since there are more threads lately on hunting and clays guns than tactical stuff lately leading me to be in this part of the forum much more.

A magnetic picker upper will pick up brass hulls. Whod'da thunk it.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Glad this wasn’t like that NSFW Jeep post. I was a little worried what was in this thread.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Between hunting and clays, I've been a shotgun guy for my adult life. Thought I knew a lot. But been reading the recent threads in the Shotgun forum and learning things I didn't know....especially since there are more threads lately on hunting and clays guns than tactical stuff lately leading me to be in this part of the forum much more.

A magnetic picker upper will pick up brass hulls. Whod'da thunk it.

I have been a shotgun guy since age 6. That is pretty much what my dad taught me. Sure, he had a Savage 110 .30-06 and a Marlin semi .22, but the vast majority of my shooting growing up was with a shotgun at clays, doves, and pheasants. Did not get into rifles and deer hunting until I was in college and even then I still preferred birds and clays.

I meant to mention the other day that I learned something new about picking up hulls with a magnet. I did not think it would work, but then experimentation showed it to be true. Meant to thank AAmdskeetshooter for the learning experience.

Always good to learn something new and now I will need to buy another telescoping magnet for my clays tackle box. One less thing to have to remember when going shooting.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    First off, that's a sweet deal on a 28ga 1100. I am personally resisting anything to do with the 28 gauge because I know it will lead to the acquisition of a loader, hulls & wads. Another layer of crap and expense in my life. (If I got 'em I shoot 'em and I'm not paying $10/box to do so)

Regarding the Mojo Pick Stick. I saw what I guess was a modified example at LR a while back; a length of PVC pipe was installed over most of the stick and retained by a shock cord. Once the magnet is loaded with hulls you just push the PVC sleeve downward to rake them off into a bucket or trash can. Only downside is it did add a lot of weight to the stick.

1claire

Feb 11, 2019
    Georgia
    It will really capture your attention since it's shiny. Nice gun you got there.
    I would love to have one then go hunting with my Labrador Retrievers, they really enjoy this type of activity since they are out of dog collars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom