• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    There’s been some discussion lately on what’s a good first over under to shoot clay targets with. One of the issues with O/U’s is that they’re so expensive. Here’s an older Beretta 682 that would make a wonderful gun. Don’t be concerned that it’s marked Trap. You could shoot any game with this gun. The only issue I see is there is a small piece of wood missing from the stock by the top latch. In my opinion it’s a cosmetic thing and not anything that should give you any problems down the road.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796378777

Full disclosure: I have no stake in the sale of this gun. And I don’t know the person selling it. Just passing the info along. And yes, I shoot a silver 682, but mine is a flat rib 30” inch gun.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Looks nice for a 1987 gun. 682s were always a great value for a comp gun too bad I don't shoot Beretta O/Us very well other than a SO4

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    One of the issues with O/U’s is that they’re so expensive.

O/Us that will last more than one season are over $1500. From what you and others have said, every new O/U under that has longevity problems.

The gun you linked to is currently at $1300. That's still more than double what a Huglu costs. But it also reinforces that they hold value, so if you decide clays aren't your thing, you can get most of your money back. With that said, I'm glad I got my Browning Superposed for $995 :D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    O/Us that will last more than one season are over $1500. From what you and others have said, every new O/U under that has longevity problems.

The gun you linked to is currently at $1300. That's still more than double what a Huglu costs. But it also reinforces that they hold value, so if you decide clays aren't your thing, you can get most of your money back. With that said, I'm glad I got my Browning Superposed for $995 :D

When I bought my 682 Super Trap two barrel set back in 1993, it was $2,995. Cannot remember what a single barrel 682 was going for. Guessing somewhere around $2,000. Add in inflation, and I am guessing this seller is getting 50% of what he paid for that 30 year old gun.

That gun looks really clean though. Just amazing that there are hardly any marks on the interior of the receiver. The one pic that is missing is the side of the barrel showing the ejectors and the jeweling on the barrel around the ejectors. When a gun has a lot of rounds through it, the jeweling is pretty much gone.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    So what do you thin she is worth? $1400?

Even $1600-$1800 wouldn’t be bad. I actually like these better than the current Silver Pigeon i’s. The stocks on the old guns are thicker and have palm swells. Also the trigger is adjustable for length of pull. A better comparison would be to these Joel Etchens guns.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/etchen-signature-series/silver-pigeon-iii-all-around-12-gauge-32

Of course the Etchens guns have a much better grade of wood.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Even $1600-$1800 wouldn’t be bad. I actually like these better than the current Silver Pigeon i’s. The stocks on the old guns are thicker and have palm swells. Also the trigger is adjustable for length of pull. A better comparison would be to these Joel Etchens guns.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/etchen-signature-series/silver-pigeon-iii-all-around-12-gauge-32

Of course the Etchens guns have a much better grade of wood.

Apparently someone agrees with you - they have been bidding it up.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Hmm - now I am interested. This is one reason I like my Browning.

There’s so many versions of the same Beretta 68x (682, 686, 687, 687 EELL, etc) action that unless you know what you’re looking at they can look the same. The field guns have narrow ribs and automatic safeties as an example. That’s also why one 68x will be $1500 and one $4500. Similarly with the Browning’s. I’m just not familiar with all the different models of them.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    I have to add that I had a CZ Canvasback (Huglu) and I shot the hell out of it for 2 seasons. It was built like a tank but balanced and pointed like a 2x4.
    I strongly suggest for under 1k, a CZ Drake (~600) or a CZ Redhead Premier (~850) if you simply can't afford going over $1,000. Ive seen 2 Stoegers fail at the skeet range over the last 2 years. But, if you can get to $1300/1500/1800, try for a used (1300-1500) Beretta 686/Browning Citori or a new one of these starting at around 1750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom