• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Which 17 HMR bolt gun? If you're going to make the trip to JLowes - might as well make it worth while.

CZ 455 ($386 - its' a CZ, beauty)
    http://store.jlowesguns.com/rifles/...17-hornady-magnum-rimfire-hmr-205-walnut-blue

CZ 455 Varmint ($451 - still a CZ, but kind of heavy @ 7lbs)
    http://store.jlowesguns.com/rifles/...17-hornady-magnum-rimfire-hmr-205-walnut-blue

Savage B17 Heavy Barrel ($274 - bargain, plastic stock, good ergos, ugly?)
    http://store.jlowesguns.com/rifles/...d-10rd-accutrigger-adjustable-sights-70801-23

Savage 93R17 BVSS ($371 - beauty, heavy barrel, tack driver)
    http://store.jlowesguns.com/rifles/...ady-magnum-rimfire-hmr-21-gray-laminate-stain

Ruger American Rimfire Target ($401 - beauty, 18" heavy barrel, pricey?)
    http://store.jlowesguns.com/rifles/...ack-laminate-stock-flush-mounted-magazine-9rd

I actually just purchased an AR upper in this caliber. The manufacturer claims because it's a delayed gas gun it has the accuracy of a bolt but it was about $150 more than the most expensive one on your list. I haven't fired it yet. All the reviews and videos I read online where excellent. I know a friend of mine has that Savage bolt and it's accurate out to about 125 yards but after that the accuracy falls off quick and the trigger is okay but not great. It can be adjusted

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I actually just purchased an AR upper in this caliber. The manufacturer claims because it's a delayed gas gun it has the accuracy of a bolt but it was about $150 more than the most expensive one on your list. I haven't fired it yet. All the reviews and videos I read online where excellent. I know a friend of mine has that Savage bolt and it's accurate out to about 125 yards but after that the accuracy falls off quick and the trigger is okay but not great. It can be adjusted

Interesting.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I know a friend of mine has that Savage bolt and it's accurate out to about 125 yards but after that the accuracy falls off quick

That's a really good point. So the cheaper rifles are ok for a 22LR shooting inside of 150 yards; but the 17HMR would benefit from a better made rifle.

In that case I am looking at something like this browning:

Browning T Bolt ($632)
    http://store.jlowesguns.com/rifles/...sporter-17-hmr-22-101-satin-walnut-stock-blue

Or the Styer.

Yikes!

[EDIT] Wonder how the RPR would do at 150+ yards?

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    The only rifle I have in .17 HMR is a CZ 455. I originally bought it with the intention of getting a Lilja .22lr barrel and will eventually do that but the .17 HMR is pretty accurate. It is always nice to have a rifle that can easily shoot two calibers with a simple barrel swap and magazine insert.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    From everything I read I narrowed it down to these 3 back when I was in the market for one in winter 2017-2018 (preferably with a bull barrel)

3) New Savage B17 FV-SR (late 2017 model, picture attached), threaded barrel, 10rd rotary mag and supposedly the 25rs A17 mags can be modded to work, inexpensive and got solid reviews, also better looking than its previous model
    weighs in at 6.2lbs

2) Ruger American, 8350 cheapish looking laminate stock, decent aftermarket support, solid rifle, 9rd mag and additional factory mags are a bit cheaper compared to the Savage and CZ, bit more heft for a rimfire than the savage weighs in at 6.8lbs but slightly less the CZ

1) CZ 455, (Varmint) not a fan of wood stocks but the walnut looks great in my opinion, solid aftermarket support, def more heft with a bull barrel, factory 5rd mag and 10rd mags available from CZ, regarded as arguably the best out of the box rimfire rifle with the best factory trigger (also $15-$18 trigger mod called the yodave kit)
    Weighs in at 7lbs
    This is what I ultimately purchased..

New units that arrived for late 2018

Tikka T1x, which is getting great reviews minus the cheapish feeling stock mentioned by some. Also see fidelity’s recent review with his CZ and the Tikka side by side

CZ 457, looks promising with some modern updates but early reports seems to point towards a rush to production and it’s precision has not been consistent with 452’s and 455’s of the last several decades

Attachments

• ED2FF784-41D0-41FD-97BB-484E6FF09C15.jpg
      ED2FF784-41D0-41FD-97BB-484E6FF09C15.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 707

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The only rifle mentioned here that I personally have experience with is the CZ 455 Varmint.

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy it again tomorrow. I liked mine so well, I did in fact buy a second one.

That said, I seriously doubt that you'd be making a big mistake with any of the rifles mentioned.

Savage would cross my mind too. Savage always crosses my mind, mainly because I've yet to own a Savage rifle that didn't or couldn't be made to shoot well.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Here's my Savage, a real sweetie! I sold it AND I DO have regrets. SS bull barrel. It was a "one holer" at 100yrds. Like a Laser. BTW, I luv thumb-holes.

Attachments

• Savage .17 HMR.PNG
      Savage .17 HMR.PNG
      7 KB · Views: 266

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads