• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Picked this up today. 1956 vintage. I think it will make a good pocket carry gun at 15 oz, 6 rds.

Attachments

• A2811FF0-2F12-43F4-B69B-5F45D3929EA8.jpg
      A2811FF0-2F12-43F4-B69B-5F45D3929EA8.jpg
      101.3 KB · Views: 408

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Nice piece. You should restrict it to non +P ammunition. Several ammo companies make loads specific to short barrel guns and should work well. A Tyler T-Grip would be nice as well.

Thanks. Yes no plus +.seller graciously donated a mixed box of wad cutters, w-w, r- p, etc, but they might be 50 yrs old. What do you recommend. I also have 158 gr jhp, a box of those light recoil 115 gr hp with pink tips, and other stuff.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There's lots of good stuff out there. You can always shoot up the old stuff but it's probably still very good if the ammo was stored properly. I have a '70s era Cobra in my office desk loaded wit the original Hydra-Shoks that look like wadcutters. The speed loader next to it is loaded with the Federal Nyclad that was designed for snubbies.

I'd try some 110, 125 and 158 grain hollow points and see which is most accurate and most controllable in your hands.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    You will probably want to change those grips. Never did like the way they narrowed down and stopped short of the top of the back of the grip strap. Recoil can be quite unpleasant on the web of the hand, even with relatively light loads. A set of pachmeyers (sp) worked well for me. Decent gun otherwise, congrats on your purchase.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A Cobra of that vintage has the long frame and Pachmayr Compacs won't work. It was the mid-'60s when Colt standardized all D-frames on the short grip frame. The Pachmayr Presentation grips will work as they're molded for both short and long frame Colt D-frames but that's getting away from being concealable. That's why I suggested a Tyler T-grip to fill the space between the frame and trigger guard.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    A Cobra of that vintage has the long frame and Pachmayr Compacs won't work. It was the mid-'60s when Colt standardized all D-frames on the short grip frame. The Pachmayr Presentation grips will work as they're molded for both short and long frame Colt D-frames but that's getting away from being concealable. That's why I suggested a Tyler T-grip to fill the space between the frame and trigger guard.

Ah! Just learned something! Mine was made around '75/76. Bought it when I was at USATC Ft. Knox.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Took it to the range this am with an assortment of ammo, from wad cutters to 158 gr hollow point. + p left at home. Even with a 15 oz weight most ammo resulted in mild recoil, and the double action trigger was smooth. Most rds landed on steel at 10 yds but a double action, light weight snubbie is not quite as easy to shoot as a g 43 with range ammo, which i was interchanging with. Especially the third shot in quick succession. But for a nearly 65 yr old revolver, pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom