• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    So in a couple of days (Nov 5th) rabbit season opens. Anyone plan on hunting them? I think I'll give it a try this year with my compound bow. I see them in the evenings in the back yard along the edge of the woods.

I was wondering if anyone else hunts them with a bow and if so what type of heads do you use? I have a pack of the G5 small game heads that look promising and also some of the guillotine heads that although designed for loping the heads off turkeys, may have the same effect on rabbit.
    Anyone with experience care to weigh in?

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I am going out tomorrow on South Mountain. I will be using either a .22 or a shotgun though. I would eb curious to hear how it works for you with those guillotines. They look wild.

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Me and my buddy are going out tomorrow morning for tree rat and/or rabbit. Were taking shotguns though. I don't 'spect we'll get much where were going but it should at least be a nice walk

Sent from my Droid

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Well, in the woods behind my house a shotgun or 22lr will probably attract unwanted attention. I'll either try using the bow (most likely since I can have a couple arrows ready for deer) or my RWS 34 .22 cal pellet rifle. I know the pellet rifle is effective out to 50yards. Actually my .22lr rifle with super colibri ammo is quieter than the pellet rifle, but not as accurate past 20 yards.

Post your pics if you guys get any.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I am going to have to hold off a while on bow hunting rabbit. The arrow heads I was going to use are going nowhere near where my field points are impacting. The only heads that track perfectly with my field points are the G5 T3s. They are too expensive to use on rabbit. I think my bow needs some tuning since every BH I have tried except for the T3 are way off from the field points.

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    We went this morning...drove out to patuxent state park. We were looking for rabbit and tree rat. We still hunted a fair amount of woods and walked a tree line next to a corn field and saw not one thing. It was pretty sad actually...we probably saw a dozen squirrel nests but not a single squirrel. And no sign of rabbit at all...

Sent from my Droid

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I have to swerve to avoid rabbits in parts of silver spring. They run out in front of my car on a regular basis.

Anyone up for some urban hunting? lol

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I had to call DNR on saturday because a guy felt the need to trespass on my hunting club property with his shotgun and 8 beagles in tow hunting rabbits in the standing corn that I paid for the farmer to leave up. Walked the woodline right in front of me had me fired up. DNR called and told me they found his truck and were waiting for him.

I will say one thing, I called the 24hr poacher hotline and within 10 seconds of hanging up had a DNR officer calling me from his cell phone. Very nice to know they are on top of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom