• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    A relative recently purchased a mosen nagant carbine chambered in 7.62x54R. I am looking for inexpensive ammo to gift him for the holidays. A lot of the chow I see is WW2 surplus, berdan primed and corrosive. I have always shied away from corrosive primers because, well,... they're corrosive.

I find it difficult to believe that the Russians would send troops to battle with ammo that was expected to permanently damage their weapons. What is the real risk to a vintage rifle in good condition? should I plan to advise him to clean the rifle after every range trip? Treat it post range with something to neutralize the corrosive properties? both? something else?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If you clean promptly after each trip it is perfectly fine to shoot corrosive ammo. Read google on how to neutralize the corrosive salts with ammonia

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    All of my Mosin ammo is corrsive and I dont worry about it a bit.

When I'm done shooting it squirt some Windex down the barrel followed by a patch, and then give it a normal cleaning

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    PRVI PARTIZAN makes 7.62x54R. Not very expensive, boxer primed and non-corrosive. Reloadable brass.

Try Graf & Sons for in stock.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    It's been said that the Russians would p*ss down the barrels to remove the corrosive salts. Ammonia dontcha know.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Red Army Standard, PPU, and S&B all make non-corrosive modern ammo.

FWIW, the surplus Mosin food isn't WWII surplus, but usually 70's or 80's surplus. The Soviets kept these things in their arsenal for some time to arm insurgents, use for pioneer training, and as a hedge against another massive war which might leave them wanting for weapons if they had to mobilize the entire union. What's more, the round is used in many of the marksman and sniper rifles as well as the vast majority of the light and heavy machine guns, so production is still ongoing. That said, the 70's and 80's surplus is still corrosive. Soap and hot water are your friend for cleaning the mercuric salts out of the barrel and action followed by normal cleaning and dry patches with a thin coat of oil at the end.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Tula, Hornady, and Herter's (Cabela's brand if they actually ever have it in stock) also make non-corrosive.

Tula runs between $8.99 and $12.50 for a box of 20 depending on seller. The Herters is $16.99 but Cabela's seems to be out a lot. It can be backordered online. Hornady is available online and at Cabela's but it is over $1/round everywhere I've seen it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If it matters for you, I find that for purchased ammo, the surplus and the Wolf tend to be the most accurate. PPU the bullet diameter and jacket hardness seems to make it less accurate. I was gifted some PPU Mosin Match ammo and it was less accurate in my PU Sniper than the Wolf or even surplus. My reloads are the most accurate so I know I can shoot better than the PPU can group.
    With the run of the mill Mosin, it may not matter though. Many of the mosins are so frosted in the bore that you can be there all day cleaning.
    Hence the phrase, "its mosin clean"

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My M91/30 that I purchased back in 2011 has had thousands of rounds of corrosive ammo through it and the bore is still as shiny as the day I got it. I brush it thoroughly, clean with soap and water, and then clean it again for at least three more days. I haven't fired or cleaned it for four years, but there's no rust in there, so it looks like I got the salts out thoroughly.

The Americans, British, Italians, Germans, and Japanese also had their troops using corrosively primed ammo for the most part. The US had noncorrosive .30 Carbine exclusively and I believe the noncorrosive Canadian .30/06 was made under contract for the US. Some German ammo was also noncorrosive.

I believe the Swiss were using noncorrosive primers prior to WWI and the Swedes first used them in the 20s. If you read Hatcher's Notebook, he mentions that the US tested the Swiss primer in the 20s, but found that it was not suitable for the wide range of climates that American troops were expected to operate in. The commercially available noncorrosive primers of the 20s and 30s like Remington Kleenbore, Winchester Staynless, and RWS Sinoxid were not generally considered suitable for military use.

Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Red Army Standard, PPU, and S&B all make non-corrosive modern ammo.

FWIW, the surplus Mosin food isn't WWII surplus, but usually 70's or 80's surplus. The Soviets kept these things in their arsenal for some time to arm insurgents, use for pioneer training, and as a hedge against another massive war which might leave them wanting for weapons if they had to mobilize the entire union. What's more, the round is used in many of the marksman and sniper rifles as well as the vast majority of the light and heavy machine guns, so production is still ongoing. That said, the 70's and 80's surplus is still corrosive. Soap and hot water are your friend for cleaning the mercuric salts out of the barrel and action followed by normal cleaning and dry patches with a thin coat of oil at the end.

Not mercuric salts, but potassium chloride salts. You're also supposed to clean on subsequent days to really get the salts out of the pores.

If you clean promptly after each trip it is perfectly fine to shoot corrosive ammo. Read google on how to neutralize the corrosive salts with ammonia

Windex and ammonia is a myth. You can't neutralize KCl salts and definitely not with ammonia. What does work is dissociating the ions with water so it all flushes out.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I find it difficult to believe that the Russians would send troops to battle with ammo that was expected to permanently damage their weapons.

You mean like the US??

Which used corrosively primed .30-06 to win two world wars?

.30 Carbine is the first non-corrosive US military ammo.

A lot of it was, until the 40, non-corrosive primers were not reliable.

So which is worse, using ammo that you need to clean the rifle after firing. Or going into combat with ammo that did not go bang???

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    It shot in the 40s using surplus and I have been shooting it with surplus no problems. Another inexpensive way is to get steel case 54r for about .35pr and slightly better accuracy imo.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I always squirt Windex in and then flush with soap and water. Lube with oil to preserve barrel.

Windex may neutralize, but I trust physically flushing out the salts more than anything.

Never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom